Another reality Check | Syracusefan.com

Another reality Check

cuseincincy

All Conference
Apologies to NmCuse for borrowing part of his post title...

13-5 and 4-1 has left many SU fans disappointed yet others look at as "hey, we're 4-1 in the ACC!" Heres reality...we haven't played Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Louisville, or Notre Dame yet. 4-1 against the dregs of the conference including a 1 pt, 2pt and 3pt OT win. Throw in a couple games with Pitt and SU is looking at a gauntlet. Optimistically I see SU's ceiling as 19-12, 10-8 in the ACC. Optimistically bubble territory with the best win being against Iowa. SU likely needs an upset or 2. Its possible. Not sure its likely. Sure hope so becaue I really do like the players n this team. Just wish some were a little more productive. And before soemone thinks I'm being pessemistic by predicting a 6-7 finish lets remember than last years team finished 7-6 in its last 13 games (including post season).

This team is not all that different than last year's team. Last year 25-0 was incredibly misleading, as evidenced by our finish.

This year we have lost games we could, and likely should, have lost last year.

I'd still take last year's squad over this year's squad, mostly due to depth (which is not saying much, as we still didn't have much last year) and PG play.

Each game will be a surprise the rest of the way. What I mean is, anything could happen. If Rak, G, and Cooney are all on their A game, there is a good chance we win. If they aren't, there is a better chance we lose. It's just the reality of our squad right now.

I'll be patiently awaiting the game when either Buss, Johnson, or Roberson has 10+ points.

This team is not all that different than last year's team. Last year 25-0 was incredibly misleading, as evidenced by our finish.

I'd still take last year's squad over this year's squad, mostly due to depth (which is not saying much, as we still didn't have much last year) and PG play.

Each game will be a surprise the rest of the way. What I mean is, anything could happen. If Rak, G, and Cooney are all on their A game, there is a good chance we win. If they aren't, there is a better chance we lose. It's just the reality of our squad right now.

I'll be patiently awaiting the game when either Buss, Johnson, or Roberson has 10+ points.

Tyler already has 4 double figure points games. But I think I get your point. It would be awesome if he provide more consistency. But I think it will come in time.

but if we had Ennis and Grant this year, we legitimately would be ranked 2 or at worst 3 right now.

13-5 and 4-1 has left many SU fans disappointed yet others look at as "hey, we're 4-1 in the ACC!" Heres reality...we haven't played Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Louisville, or Notre Dame yet. 4-1 against the dregs of the conference including a 1 pt, 2pt and 3pt OT win. Throw in a couple games with Pitt and SU is looking at a gauntlet. Optimistically I see SU's ceiling as 19-12, 10-8 in the ACC. Optimistically bubble territory with the best win being against Iowa. SU likely needs an upset or 2. Its possible. Not sure its likely. Sure hope so becaue I really do like the players n this team. Just wish some were a little more productive. And before soemone thinks I'm being pessemistic by predicting a 6-7 finish lets remember than last years team finished 7-6 in its last 13 games (including post season).

That's the reason that last game's loss was so costly. We needed to beat all of the teams that we are better than in order to get enough wins. A loss to Clemson now means that we'd need to get that win against uva, louisville, duke, etc. which is far less likely.

Of course, it could all be for moot anyway, if the rumors about the postseason ban prove to be true.

Tyler already has 4 double figure points games. But I think I get your point. It would be awesome if he provide more consistency. But I think it will come in time.

True, but he's got 17 combined his last 4.

While you're not wrong, if you look around the conference, every game has been tough; even for Duke, ND, Ville, UNC, etc. 4-1 with 3 of those games coming on the road is a solid start.

I think we all would love to be 5-0 with 5 blowout wins, but that's not what this team is, and that's not what this conference is. I'm optimistic that we'll beat the teams we should and pull a few upsets along the way.

I know I have made this point a lot, but I need to majorly disagree with the bolded. Our Ken Pom rating was basically in the top 7 or 8 from December all the way to the end of February last year. We had a couple of close games against less than stellar competition last year, but literally every team has those.

We're 56th in Ken Pom right now. We are nowhere close to where we were last year.

This team is not getting to 19.

Rak, Cooney and G are going to be on fumes the last 10 games.

There is some over reaction happening. I agree SU faces a gauntlet and I don't see us becoming some kind of force in the conference this year, however, we will get a win or two against the list of teams you gave. Syracuse has the capability to play very well and as the year progresses, they are figuring out how to do it for longer stretches of games. The loss of depth is a serious blow, but I still think they can squeeze 2 maybe 3 wins out of Pitt, Duke, UNC, UVa, UL.

I don't think it's over-reaction. Just honest assessments and predictions. Agreed that Rak, Cooney, Silent G will be running on fumes. By next month most likely.

There is some over reaction happening. I agree SU faces a gauntlet and I don't see us becoming some kind of force in the conference this year, however, we will get a win or two against the list of teams you gave. Syracuse has the capability to play very well and as the year progresses, they are figuring out how to do it for longer stretches of games. The loss of depth is a serious blow, but I still think they can squeeze 2 maybe 3 wins out of Pitt, Duke, UNC, UVa, UL.
There is no reason this can't happen. When looking ahead to some of these games, it's easy to picture those teams playing at their best, but that's not likely to happen every time out. This SU team has some nice pieces and is capable of playing with anyone when they are clicking. I realize depth is an issue, but I'll be interested to see what happens when Johnson has some in-game success and gains confidence in his game.

br801 said:
There is no reason this can't happen. When looking ahead to some of these games, it's easy to picture those teams playing at their best, but that's not likely to happen every time out. This SU team has some nice pieces and is capable of playing with anyone when they are clicking. I realize depth is an issue, but I'll be interested to see what happens when Johnson has some in-game success and gains confidence in his game.

Look at this year as a rebuilding year.

It's important that Joseph and Roberson make good progress.

All that really matters.

2 thoughts:

- We are who we thought we were. A rebuilding team short on experience at the point with a chance at the tourney (unless we are banned) or the NIT.

- We've seen the team grow into itself a bit and it's fun to watch. JB said Rak would be the focal point and no one thought he'd become what he has. Kaleb has been 3 steps, 2 back all season - but he's 2nd in the ACC in assists and he's just scratching his potential. Cooney is driving to the hoop more and predictably has rediscovered his stroke. Silent G has shown that he may be a 1st-2nd all ACC team as a senior. His shooting is key. He does a little bit of everything.

I can't speak to everyone else's opinions - but I don't need a shot of reality. This team is a very flawed team that is getting better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom