Another Uniform Thread... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Another Uniform Thread...

Works for them but not for:

1624038991704.png

Side note on sound. Anecdotally, i find that when the crowd gets really loud in hopes of throwing the opposing team off, it rarely does anything at all to affect the other team. I mean, maybe once in a blue moon. But usually they don't give a flying french fry.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone knows what the Dome's acoustics will sound like yet, especially with a full building.
The acoustics probably can’t be any worse for concerts. I had floor seats for Van Halen in ‘82 and the sound was bouncing off the roof and was like being in an echo chamber

Side note on sound. Anecdotally, i find that when the crowd gets really loud in hopes of throwing the opposing team off, it rarely does anything at all to affect the other team. I mean, maybe once in a blue moon. But usually they don't give a flying french fry.
Often teams handle the noise quite well, but I have seen teams that seem to come unglued.

Last edited:
The acoustics probably can’t be any worse for concerts. I had floor seats for Van Halen in ‘82 and the sound was bouncing off the roof and was like being in an echo chamber
Yeah, there's no way they aren't better. They're just going to be different.

To be clear, I'm mostly speaking about my experiences in high school marching band - NYS Championships are always in the Dome.

I remember more than a few hoops games in the 90's where it was a major influence. Arizona late Dec. 1994 (12/22) and I think UConn and Kentucky the season before (about 2 weeks apart if I recall). All three packed to the gills and loud as a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerine factory.

I used to work there, and have been in that room several times. The "floor" is just wire mesh. Super cool. So much history in that building. On my way to my office every day I passed the lab where the transistor was invented. I loved that.
I was part of a proposal to renovate/reduce the facility. We were very anxious to preserve it any way we could. Nokia seemed interested in saving it if it made sense, but they didn't seem to make that a driver. I was bummed we didn't win. That facility is such an influence on my own design work.

They may tear it down and replace it with housing and a new smaller lab/office facility.

If you and RandomGuy have not read "The Idea Factory" I recommend it (or anyone else, I'm not excluding).

Yeah, there's no way they aren't better. They're just going to be different.

To be clear, I'm mostly speaking about my experiences in high school marching band - NYS Championships are always in the Dome.
I’ve been there for one NYS Championship game. Didn’t seem too bad but I’m guessing playing in the band is a totally different sound experience

I remember more than a few hoops games in the 90's where it was a major influence. Arizona late Dec. 1994 (12/22) and I think UConn and Kentucky the season before (about 2 weeks apart if I recall). All three packed to the gills and loud as a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerine factory.

i feel like, when it comes to football, we want to think volume in the loud house can be the great equalizer when facing an elite team. Then we yell like crazy and it doesn’t bear out. Maybe it can make a difference in a 50/50 game. But if it’s a mismatch volume doesn’t seem to make it not one

i feel like, when it comes to football, we want to think volume in the loud house can be the great equalizer when facing an elite team. Then we yell like crazy and it doesn’t bear out. Maybe it can make a difference in a 50/50 game. But if it’s a mismatch volume doesn’t seem to make it not one

Doesn't it have a greater impact on the home team than the visitors?

Doesn't it have a greater impact on the home team than the visitors?
Depends on the scenario. When an offense is calling plays in the Dome I am pretty sure the intent is to mess with the play calling

Depends on the scenario. When an offense is calling plays in the Dome I am pretty sure the intent is to mess with the play calling
For football, I think the crowd noise often affects the opponent. Especially when they are on offense.

But I think the dome noise supporting the SU teams makes the biggest impact. There have been many football and basketball games where the crowd willed SU to victory.

yes, I mean it’s more to effect the snap count and throw them off. Most teams aren’t well versed in a hard count at the college level so by being loud they can’t hear their audio clues etc as well.

I think it does have an impact on all teams, but it’s not going to be major.

crowd noise is probably equal to us getting a free field goal..but in a tight game it literally could come down to that and that’s where it is huge

I also would be willing to go on a limb and say that if the crowd wasn’t as fired up against Clemson on that great Friday October night, we don’t beat them.

the 2nd half to the end of the game the crowd was electric, everyone standing, everyone screaming, that 100% played a role in beating Clemson

I also would be willing to go on a limb and say that if the crowd wasn’t as fired up against Clemson on that great Friday October night, we don’t beat them.

the 2nd half to the end of the game the crowd was electric, everyone standing, everyone screaming, that 100% played a role in beating Clemson
The Louisville game when Bridgewater had to call 2 Timeouts in the 1st quarter on 3rd and long right in front of me on about the 18. Then we blew Louisville out.
Hopefully the new roof will make it impossible for teams on 3rd and long.

The Louisville game when Bridgewater had to call 2 Timeouts in the 1st quarter on 3rd and long right in front of me on about the 18. Then we blew Louisville out.
Hopefully the new roof will make it impossible for teams on 3rd and long.

Would be amazing

Or just having the crowd actually cheer/yell/scream on a third down would be great.

half the time I think people in the dome think we’re watching golf and they need to be quiet or they are too embarrassed to yell. I don’t know. LOL

Would be amazing

Or just having the crowd actually cheer/yell/scream on a third down would be great.

half the time I think people in the dome think we’re watching golf and they need to be quiet or they are too embarrassed to yell. I don’t know. LOL
I sit in section 129 row b, and we were very loud that night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom