Another Win. Another Drop in the NET? | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Another Win. Another Drop in the NET?

How do you do that? You can’t compare teams if one is playing, Duke, UNC, or UVA compared to someone playing Louisville, BC, and Georgia Tech.
I don't think it takes too much to look at that and take who you played under consideration as well.

We don’t know what the committee thinks. They might end up being a lock. Just because the bracketologists have them out of the bracket doesn’t mean the committee has any intention of doing the same.
Your the committee looking at two teams resumes that are very similar. One team is full of super seniors and the other teams production is pretty much all underclassmen. I think it’s absolutely incredible what Syracuse has done this year so far. It’s not like this is a lottery pick filled one and done team. The fact that this team beat this current UNC team (UNC would win against most teams with the way they played that night) with the experience and talent on that roster should override any of the big margin losses previously in the season. A bigger benefit of the doubt should be given to inexperienced teams that perform well down the stretch.

Last edited:
Your the committee looking at two teams resumes that are very similar. One team is full of super seniors and the other teams production is pretty much all underclassmen. I think it’s absolutely incredible what Syracuse has done this year so far. It’s not like this is a lottery pick filled one and done team. The fact that this team beat this current UNC team (UNC would win against most teams with the way they played that night) with the experience and talent on that roster should override any of the big margin losses previously in the season. A bigger benefit of the doubt should be given to inexperienced teams that perform well down the stretch.
A lot of things should happen, doesnt mean they will.

I don't think it takes too much to look at that and take who you played under consideration as well.
Right.It's the old "eyeball test". Knowledgeable basketball people
know the product they are looking at on the floor.

I’ll sum all of reasons why we have a low NET ranking relative to where we should be in to lines:

1) we played too difficult of a schedule, and lost by double digits to those strong teams on our schedule (so “relatively” the computer thinks we stink compared to those top tier teams)
2) our offensive rebounding and overall rebounding absolutely stinks. We offset this through forcing turnovers and getting to the foul line to actually win games, but it’s not enough to offset our rebounding deficit as calculated by the computer

Regardless, the NET is absolute crap and we’re likely going to be left out because of its flaws. There’s an outside chance we get in if our NET is 70 or better, but basically zero chance if it’s above 75.

I’ll sum all of reasons why we have a low NET ranking relative to where we should be in to lines:

1) we played too difficult of a schedule, and lost by double digits to those strong teams on our schedule (so “relatively” the computer thinks we stink compared to those top tier teams)
2) our offensive rebounding and overall rebounding absolutely stinks. We offset this through forcing turnovers and getting to the foul line to actually win games, but it’s not enough to offset our rebounding deficit as calculated by the computer

Regardless, the NET is absolute crap and we’re likely going to be left out because of its flaws. There’s an outside chance we get in if our NET is 70 or better, but basically zero chance if it’s above 75.

The higher net teams that lived off of MOV will also perform poorly in the tourney.

I bought into this as well, but now i'm not so sure. Check this out...
Here is how we compare to Virginia. They have 7 losses of 15+ points. Same as us.

Out of those 7 losses we have a much higher Opponent NET rating as well as a smaller margin of defeat.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 115944.jpg

Here is how we compare to Virginia. They have 7 losses of 15+ points. Same as us.

Out of those 7 losses we have a much higher Opponent NET rating as well as a smaller margin of defeat.

View attachment 238404
Rebounding is part of the difference. UVA has a -1 rebounding differential, we’re at -4.

also the fact that we got crushed by FSU at home probably didn't help either

View attachment 238404

Getting blown out by FSU by that margin in the Dome was a killer. If I recall correctly, I think we dropped like 20 points in the NET afterwards, or close to that amount. Especially, with us being a solid favorite 7-8 points or so...if I recall that correctly.

The way some of the arguments in this thread are laid out you would think folks who disliked the Red hire are half rooting for him to fail despite saying otherwise.

#2 is not a thing. They are simply items that are backed out, like turnovers, that equalize possessions at the end game vs your score.

Otherwise, a team could get outrebounded by 10 on the offensive glass, have equal turnovers, lose by 5, and the team losing by 5 is deemed "better". That would not make sense.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom