Any Spring Practice Updates? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Any Spring Practice Updates?

So, what would you do to make the atmosphere exciting, engaging and different from other CNY experiences?

Interesting topic.

For brevity's sake:

- full on assault to get the students to attend and get into every game, which automatically makes for a better game environment (have a lot of ideas for this)
- take better advantage of the heritage of the program, esp for fans old enough to remember it (i.e meet & greets with anyone who they can get to sit down, take pics, sign autographs)
- make the sponsorships more interactive via social technology and up the ante (stop giving away prize packs to tully's and start giving away cars or "be an assistant coach" for a day type prizes)
- like all schools, SU loves to preach about it's list of famous alums. get them to the games. let fans see them and interact with them.
- double the number of members of the spirt squad and have them all over the quad/dome taking pics, giving dance/cheer instructions and performances (kid focused idea, of course)
- update the music and videos played in the dome; make it look like it's 2012 and not 1988
- dump Club 44 and make a legit Syracuse Athletics museum
- invite fans to stay after the game (or go to Manley) and have an asst coach talk about the game, take questions

Wow! Some football talk has creeped into this thread.
I think HCDM did the right (but not sexy) thing by kicking the field goal against Rutgers. In a line vs. line matchup we stood no better than a 50% chance that day. By taking the points he insured that we would have a chance to win, kind of like a basketball coach extending the game for his team. He'd have been a genius if we didn't fumble the game away.

So, what would you do to make the atmosphere exciting, engaging and different from other CNY experiences?

Interesting topic.

Full-scale tailgating on the Quad and the Old Row.

And that bit about aggressively getting students to participate (though that's easier said than done).

Do you know how many "marketing" people the Athletic Department and the University already have?

Yea, the AD's wife.

Deepthrowit has some excellent ideas that are for the FAN. I bet there are many more where that came from too.

He took the team to a bowl win against K-State in his second year - going 8-5.

This following a four year period where the team won 10 games.

That's enough for me to defer to the guy.

You can defer to him all you want...but like I said before - you can't follow that season up with a total collapse and a last-place finish in the worst BCS conference in history and not expect to take some heat.

I could really giveba $&!? about spring practice - this is like the 3rd thread on this subject - really? Don't people have better things to do with their time? I certainly have better things to do with my time than respond to these dumb winey-@ss threads and posts!

Then don't.

It cracks me up that people think marketing is going to materially help attendance for a program that has had one winning season in the past TEN it has played.

I mean mull that over, sports fans. ONE winning season in TEN YEARS.

But you know, like blogs and photo ops and a little better parking is going to bring people out in droves.

I'm long past the point of blaming anyone for SU's attendance issue other than the ONE WINNING SEASON IN TEN YEARS thing.

Oy vey.

It cracks me up that people think marketing is going to materially help attendance for a program that has had one winning season in the past TEN it has played.

But you know, like blogs and photo ops and a little better parking is going to bring people out in droves.

I'm long past the point of blaming anyone for SU's attendance issue other than the ONE WINNING SEASON IN TEN YEARS thing.

Oy vey.

I would say I agree 1000%, but everyone knows percent can't be higher than 100!

Oy vey.
The marketing campaign is all part of a long-term strategy. Of course, so is winning. The marketing campaign is smart and needed...and so is winning. They are both essential. I doubt anyone thinks marketing alone is going to result in miracles.

He took the team to a bowl win against K-State in his second year - going 8-5.

That's great. Last season. Coming off a big time losing streak where flipping just one result means a bowl? Eh.

This following a four year period where the team won 10 games.

I will not defer to Marrone because he has outperformed Robinson. No.

That's enough for me to defer to the guy.

Different strokes for different folks.

You have no idea what his "master plan" was or is. Unless you somehow were given the opportunity to read it. Were you?

And, regardless, if you believe that a "master plan" as you call it, should never be altered or modified - depending upon cirumstance - than you have no managerial experience or aptitude.
First off, I've got managerial experience and aptitude dripping out of my Otto, so nice try making this about me, and ad hominen approaches are always a championship move, but it's about Marrone and co. I never said the plan couldn't be altered or modified. I am very concerned however that things the fan base at large knew about from the plan haven't happened, and that the direction we're heading seems to be very different from what we knew of the plan. That's scary. Either the plan was good and was abandoned too soon, or the plan was terrible and needed a drastic overhaul. Maybe it's not that cut and dry, but considering that a lot of the reason why people felt Marrone was a good choice revolved around that initial plan, and now that plan seems to be very much in flux, and we're coming off of a terrible end to the season... no, I do not defer to Marrone, and I am mystified that he isn't accountable for more according to some fans.

Oy vey.

Not quite sure anyone said any one thing would bring the fans back in droves (that was an embellishment by you), but fans and winning go hand in hand. More fans help promote winning and winning helps promote more fans. There is also a matter of degree. While no one thing, or even several things, will turn the corner with the attendance problem, everything helps. It also appears that since SU, or the people that think they do everything right, can't just snap their fingers and get the Dome full that the answer is lets do nothing (or almost nothing). There need to be efforts to attract the big donors ($$$$) and the average fan (fannies in the seat). Doesn't seem like we are good at either right now. Oy vey.

Can't believe I read these 5 pages. Biggest waste of my time haha

Not quite sure anyone said any one thing would bring the fans back in droves (that was an embellishment by you), but fans and winning go hand in hand. More fans help promote winning and winning helps promote more fans. There is also a matter of degree. While no one thing, or even several things, will turn the corner with the attendance problem, everything helps. It also appears that since SU, or the people that think they do everything right, can't just snap their fingers and get the Dome full that the answer is lets do nothing (or almost nothing). There need to be efforts to attract the big donors ($$$$) and the average fan (fannies in the seat). Doesn't seem like we are good at either right now. Oy vey.

You know what Bees, I just don't even care enough to argue much anymore.

Yeah, the marketing has been lousy lately and there hasn't been much fan outreach. Meanwhile the state of the program has me depressed, and I don't see 2012 being much better than 2011.

I'm at the "wake me when we're in the ACC" stage.

You know what Bees, I just don't even care enough to argue much anymore.

Yeah, the marketing has been lousy lately and there hasn't been much fan outreach. Meanwhile the state of the program has me depressed, and I don't see 2012 being much better than 2011.

I'm at the "wake me when we're in the ACC" stage.

Yep, agree. Sure, I'd like to read about how practice are going, but 'I wouldn't say I'm missing it Bob.' 2012 is going to be one of the strangest to endure for me as a long time fan. Since the new Big East kicked off in 2005, I've had little to no interest in most of the teams in this league, and this year that amount of interest drops by about 1000%.

Get to the ACC, leave others behind in Con USA 2, and hope this propels us to get back to how we remember this program in our first 8 years of being die hards. If it happens, everything else will work itself out.

Yep, agree. Sure, I'd like to read about how practice are going, but 'I wouldn't say I'm missing it Bob.' 2012 is going to be one of the strangest to endure for me as a long time fan. Since the new Big East kicked off in 2005, I've had little to no interest in most of the teams in this league, and this year that amount of interest drops by about 1000%.

Get to the ACC, leave others behind in Con USA 2, and hope this propels us to get back to how we remember this program in our first 8 years of being die hards. If it happens, everything else will work itself out.

After the collapse last year, and then having it finally sink in with me that this program has had one winning season in a decade, I'm just officially beaten down.

I miss having a good program, I really do, but I'm not holding my breath anymore.

*sigh*

@BrentAxeMedia
Doug Marrone breaks the media silence. Kind of. Short video up onhttp://SUAthletics.com. Nothing earth shattering, but explains the blackout

Mysterious "someone" discussed.
He said he didn't want someone to come in, whoever it might be, and try to label what we are going to be and give a false impression to everyone on the outside. Cause we know now what direction we want to go in and what our talent level can handle. Defensively we have made some changes in the coverages than in the past. In special teams we've made some changes.

He said Rochester & the Spring game will be open.

Sometimes it may offend people, they might feel that they want to know every single thing that 's going on. Again after spring practice you're be available to tell them exactly what is going on.

After the collapse last year, and then having it finally sink in with me that this program has had one winning season in a decade, I'm just officially beaten down.

I miss having a good program, I really do, but I'm not holding my breath anymore.

*sigh*

Can't be true. And if it is true, while then that's your problem. OrangePa says so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom