Any thought on what they saw of Christmas on MM? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Any thought on what they saw of Christmas on MM?

Terrence Roberts and Mookie Watkins may not quite have lived up to expectations offensively, but both were very solid defensive players, and if Roberts hadn't had so many knee problems, he might have turned out a bit better.

They were decent players overall, though as you said they didn't quite live up to their expectations, fair or unfair as that may be. If Christmas turned out to be a similar player, with all due respect I think that be considered a disappointing development.

But that awkward 3 at the buzzer against Manhattan (?) was a pretty cool game.
He hit a game winning buzzer beater vs Rutgers... Devo hit a huge 3 in his Dome debut vs Manhattan to put the game on OT...

How can you say anything nice offensively about the kid when all he does is dunk? Has anyone seen him take one shot yet? In his highlight tape, all star games, and yesterday I don't think I've seen one non-dunk.

I think he'll be good but total overreaction on this board about his offensive skills.

Like we've never had a big who we had high hopes for as a freshman fail to clear this basic hurdle? (cough... forth...mookie... t rob... underclassman rick... cough) I think its a skill (dunking or finishing in general) that can be demonstrated early that he will or will not be effiencient at. Im not saying players cant become better finishers, certainly we have many who do (ricky among others) rather we seldom see players become worse finishers over time. I for one will take the agressive dunks to start.

While were dreaming in incoming frosh land... with the combination of his frame, and whispers of a smooth 15 footer is there any resemblance to a *gasp* J dub?

His ability to catch and finish already puts him ahead of BMK offensively.

What? Because he cherrypicked and got four dunks when no one was within 40 feet of him, he's ahead of Keita?

Nothing happened on Friday night that could possibly make anyone think that Christmas is ahead of Keita right now.

I draw one conclusion on Christmas from Friday night: from a talent standpoint, he's somewhere between Greg Davis and Derrick Coleman.

What? Because he cherrypicked and got four dunks when no one was within 40 feet of him, he's ahead of Keita?

Nothing happened on Friday night that could possibly make anyone think that Christmas is ahead of Keita right now.

I draw one conclusion on Christmas from Friday night: from a talent standpoint, he's somewhere between Greg Davis and Derrick Coleman.
Lots of opinions which is god for sure. i'm now thinking this kid will be work in progress that we see up close and faster then usual Once he finds his confidence he will emerge like his resume suggests.

Your saying he's better than Warrick? BE player of the year Hakim Warrick? "The Block", most athletic player we ever had,man against boys Hakim Warrick? Because he had a couple of dunks in the MM scrimmage? Did you want to edit your post?

take it easy, no one is comparing him to senior year hakim warrick

also he was really a man against boys when we played UVM, cheap shot I know

small sample size obviously, but here is what I saw:

On Defense: He showed a "straight up" mentality: hands up. He avoids tangling arms and leaning toward a defender (as Fab often does). He seems like a guy who will be able to avoid fouls, but we might be screaming at him to show a little more fire and proclivity for contact. More Mookie Watkins than Jeremy McNeil, as far as defensive posture (which may be a very good thing).

On Offense: Fairly impressed, actually. He knows how to move and get the ball above the rim. Looks smooth and controlled. If such a thing is even possible- he even showed a cerebral approach to dunking the ball. He looked like a 17 year old who got caught by his friends dunking on an 8' foot rim: he seemed almost embarrassed to throw down a vicious dunk.

All in all, he looked automatic above the rim, he runs very well, and he seems cerebral, talented, and controlled enough to warrant a comparison to Tim Duncan. More down to earth, Xmas reminds me of a shorter Mookie Watkins mixed with Hak.

So he's a combination Tim Duncan, Mookie Watkins and Hakim Warrick. Sounds good. :confused:

Terrence Roberts and Mookie Watkins may not quite have lived up to expectations offensively, but both were very solid defensive players, and if Roberts hadn't had so many knee problems, he might have turned out a bit better.
Roberts was just a garbage man on offense, but he was a very good rebounder. He would have dominated the boards if he had quick hops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom