Any thought regarding this comment by MCW? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Any thought regarding this comment by MCW?

I think it depends. A lottery pick bust is still a bust. It certainly helps our image more if we get more players who are actually successful in the NBA. Right now we have Melo and maybe potential with Waiters.

Cheers,
Neil

Which 'Melo, we got 2 in the NBA now. Unless Fab is down in the D league.

Less years of having that person in the future. But honestly, even if you get lucky and that person you take in the top 3 actually becomes a Superstar player, 22 or 23 doesn't matter when they usually can play till thier mid 30's. Especially PG's.

It does matter because in general, the younger you are, the more you can develop. One year isn't a lot, but it's something. Especially since he's not playing any man to man defense in college.

Mike just isn't going in the top 3 of the draft in any year. It's not happening. If he ends up being projected to go say 20th this year, then there is an argument for him coming back. (And a strong argument for him going as well, to be sure). But if he's a lottery pick, he has to go.

People love to talk about how weak this year is, not just as far as the draft class goes (how many times have we heard "anybody can win - college basketball is down this year" in the past five seasons?)

Maybe Jabari Parker and the other kid are really that good. Or maybe they'll come to school and play like Harrison Barnes or any of a number of other freshmen. Then we'll be saying the same thing about next season's draft.

Wiggins ain't Harrison Barnes

Sort of irrelevant. Most teams don't draft by need anymore. They draft best available player regardless of position. Besides, those guys won't be judged for a year. Did Carter look like a lottery pick in HS? Silly argument.
Actually, he did. 6'6 McDonald's all American point guards get a lot of hype

Is it a good or a bad thing for a team that it might be better for them in the long run if they lose a player to the lottery?

There is zero bad for Syracuse if MCW comes back. Every Syracuse fan should be absolutely elated if MCW decided to come back.

MCW would be the best G on the team next year. And it wouldn't even be close.

In the long run, championships and consistent success get recruits. While lottery picks can help, lottery picks without success don't help a lot on the recruiting trail. Look at how UNLV's recruiting will take off after Anthony Bennett! Oh wait, it won't.

The thing is, Ennis, Patterson, Cooney, Silent G, and MCW would be in the rotation next year. Jimmy B said he doesn't play 4 guards, look at MCW minutes freshman year. So if he stays and Silent G is as good as we think, it's a battle between cooney (already redshirted and won't accept less PT), Patterson (already went to Prep school, didn't redshirt James and doesn't make sense to redshirt him either), and Ennis (top 30 recruit won't want to redshirt). My guess is MCW is basically forced out or Cooney would transfer or one of the other 2 would ask out of their commits.

I think that he'd play 4 Guards next year, even if MCW is back, though two wouldn't see more than 10-12 mpg. I'd believe Ennis would be the 3rd guard (or Gbinje, whoever doesn't start), with Patterson and Trevor fighting for 5-10 minutes a game, at most. I would guess that Patterson would be the odd man out as a freshman, but who knows. His offensive game supposedly is a work in progress.

And depending on how well he can rebound and body guys up inside, Gbinje could see some time on the wing.

MCW would not be forced out. That's crazy. You don't tell one of the top 2-3 PG's in the country that he isn't welcomed back, especially with no experience coming back. MCW would be a preseason AA if he came back.

Now while I agree that if he improves as much as you state, he would make a ton of money and it would look better.

However, if he stays the same, no chance he goes 15th in the draft. Forget about the rest of the draft board. A PG who can't hit a jumper and is 23 years old is not someone a GM takes in that range of the draft. A junior who hasn't developed a jumper will never develop a jumper. He falls to the late first round (which could be a good thing for him from a bball perspective, but not from a wallet perspective).

Now, lets say the unthinkable happens and he tears his ACL (people point to the Ware injury, but the Noel injury will be the biggest factor for anyone). Teams won't draft him in the 1st round.

If you can get a guaranteed contract in the NBA, you HAVE to jump, IMO. People talk about Donte Greene, but he still got paid.

If you fail in the NBA, you can always go to Europe and make money. It is always better to go to Europe after failing as a 1st round pick then failing as a non-guaranteed 2nd rounder.

Agree completely. All I'm saying is that if you were looking to rationalize the decision to come back and get his degree, you could conceivably do so from a monetary perspective.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I really can't believe some of the things I read on this board, and I didn't quote them out of respect for the posters, being I'm just upset with a sentence in the posts and not the persons who posted them. But when I see something like "If MCW decided to come back I'd welcome him", I'm like who the heck are you? Doug Gottlieb going on about how a coach in a championship game made a wrong move and will be having nightmares? I mean really, the folks who said such a thing should be ashamed. The arrogance about knowing the "universally right" move for someone else's life is just too much from some of you.

We can argue logic, but each of us(MCW included) is a unique human being, with unique needs, desires, and goals. Not everyone is motivated by the same things at all, let alone to the same degree. Now I don't suppose MCW is Christopher Mcandless/Alex Supertramp, but from what I hear he isn't as "common" as some of you. You can say what is the right move for certain results, but you can't say what is the right move period for another person. I know the odds are quite high someone in his position is going, but I've learned that things aren't final until they are official. This comment does offer at least a glimmer of hope to those of us who would love to have him back and not just welcome/accept him(or those worrying about one season of Cooney's/Ennis'/G's minutes. MCW spent his season on the bench and turned out pretty darned good, no?).

Actually, he did. 6'6 McDonald's all American point guards get a lot of hype
Not true at all. He wasn't even a blip on the NBA screen until the end of last year. Potentially lottery picks are always listed as possibles on the draft boards, especially HS players that are seen as such. Just because you are a McAA doesn't mean you are seen as an NBA top 15. I would also add that he wasn't one of the most highly hyped players in the game. Coleman was much higher rated and hyped. Is he a lotto pick? He may end up one, but he has a ton of improving to do to be one.

People love to talk about how weak this year is, not just as far as the draft class goes (how many times have we heard "anybody can win - college basketball is down this year" in the past five seasons?)

Maybe Jabari Parker and the other kid are really that good. Or maybe they'll come to school and play like Harrison Barnes or any of a number of other freshmen. Then we'll be saying the same thing about next season's draft.

Harrison Barnes has been pleasantly good for the dubs.

44cuse

The absolute only reason he will stay, which I'd put at maybe a 5% chance, would be that he got a taste of the Final Four and wants some more.

That said, he's gone. He'd be foolish not to considering how weak this draft class is.

I completely agree. Or maybe that he is disatisfied with his performance in the final four and doesn't want to go out like that. But I rate that as being a similarly low percentage.

Can't imagine he'd return.

going 6 7 in mann would we have a chance to win it all

That's doubtful, because a 6-7 guy likely isn't quick enough laterally to cut off a really speed 6-0 guard. You recruit to the defense you play.

Honestly there is no need to discuss this Michael Carter-Williams is gone. He should go and he delivered this fanbase a Final Four run. If we get to a position where we average 1 Final Four every 4 years rather than 1 every 10 years his legacy would still be a success at Syracuse. Michael's draft stock isn't going to improve if he returned he won't be a guaranteed top 5 pick next year with Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, and Aaron Gordon entering college basketball. I am a Syracuse fan, but we need to encourage our kids to leave and strike while the iron is hot so we can recruit future studs and realize we care about their future and the program. If this was last year, and MCW wanted to leave it would have been stupid, but he has shown his potential and now its time to get paid. Donte Green made a mistake leaving because the team that year wasn't successful and he needed another year to improve his game MCW has flaws, but he has shown a lot and played really well this year. Thank you for the 2 years Michael and work your ass so you don't have to play in the NBDL at all next year.

Right now, he's a PG who can't shoot. Next year, he could hit 40+% from the field and 35% from three and improve his draft stock. He can easily make that improvement with a summer of hard work. We will be loaded again next year with the influx of new talent, and he could be an all-american.

Anyway, my guess is Mike really hasn't thought in depth about going to the NBA. But I bet when he sits down and all is said and done, he'll be gone.
Hey, I've got this swampland you might be interested in...

Hey, I've got this swampland you might be interested in...

Maybe I didn't phrase that the way I intended. He has obviously thought about playing in the league. What I'm saying is I doubt he has actually sat down with his parents (and his agent, LOL) and gone through the process of figuring out where he's probably going to picked, weighing the pros and cons.

I'm sorry but how do you figure next years class as being solid. He will hands down be the best PG in college (if he returns). An NBA team will draft based on need. If they need a PG...he's your guy. Sullinger dropped because he had an issue with his back. Wallace came back to improve his draft status...it didn't get worse but it didn't get better. If MCW is looked as a top 12 pick...next year he maybe a top three.
Christ...Burke was POY...he maybe the worst POY ever. After Burke there is only MCW when it comes to PG's.

I may be the lone ranger here, but I do not think MCW would be hands down the best PG in the nation if he came back, I would expect him to still have a below average shot, average dribbling skills, and average basketball acumen for a PG. I think he is a great kid and will always root for him (I recently moved to town where he went to HS), but if I am an NBA GM drafting in the 10-20 spot I am looking for a better overall skill set.

If MCW enters the draft he is going to get picked by the Oklahoma City Thunder with the pick they got from the Toronto Raptors in 8 to 12 range. The Thunder will keep him on bench and he will probably play in the NBDL, but he will be paid to do so. MCW should enter the draft and take the money. The Thunder have scouted MCW more than almost any NBA team this year.

OKC would be the single best place for MCW. No pressure to be the guy, and a multitude of scorers surrounding him. He won't be a starter or get a ton of minutes, but he can probably put in 10-15 a game and impress, maybe have another team trade for him. System-wise, this would be a home run.

The being ahead of schedule to graduate probably makes it even more likely that he'll leave. It'll be easier for him to get credits during the summers or whenever he can. Good for him for doing so well in school, great for the APR as well. If he's a year ahead he won't hurt us there at all.

I posted this before...

When the NBA comes calling, you have a very limited time to answer. If he's lottery (which he will be IMO), he is guaranteed a few million with a chance to show his skills off to GMs over the next few years. The big pay day would come in years 3 or 4. If not, he can go to Europe.

Regardless, he can always put the brakes on his education and come back and get his degree if this doesn't pan out. And he should have financial security by then, too.

I honestly think MCW is in a unique situation. As of now he is a high potential guy who still is only at the edge of the lottery in a weak draft. With comparable players like livingston, kendall marshall and to a lesser extend Iman Shumpert - there is not a lot of proven success among his brand of player in recent memory. He very likely could end up around the same or slightly worse next year. Still, with an improved jumpshot, refined PG skills and simply another year of experience he could prolong his career even if where he is drafted differs a small amount. He won't shrink or lose that potential unless it is to injury. With that said however, OKC would be an ideal place for him. Great place to learn and great coach to learn under.

I will say this is unlike what Jonny Flynn and Dion Waiters said the past 2 times. I don't think he will come back, but if wants a college degree then maybe. The money will be there this year or next, but if I were Jim Boeheim I would recommend he enter the draft UNLESS he says he wants to comeback and graduate.

I disagree. Flynn talked passionately about how much he loved Syracuse and being at Syracuse and being a student in a radio interview about 3 weeks before hiring an agent. All this talk is BS until the draft deadline is past.

Right now, he's a PG who can't shoot. Next year, he could hit 40+% from the field and 35% from three and improve his draft stock. He can easily make that improvement with a summer of hard work. We will be loaded again next year with the influx of new talent, and he could be an all-american.

MCW can just as easily make those improvements as an NBA player. Remember, he will be 22 by the time the NBA season starts next fall, so the clock is ticking. Hell, John Wall is only one year older than MCW, and he's finishing his third season in the league.

As much as we'd like to see him back, it s almost certainly time for him to go. I would guess JB will suggest as much when he sits down with MCW and his family.

He doesn't even need to play in Europe if he's cut in a few years. He'll be very young after his NBA/D-league career and either very close or finished with school. Oh yeah, and he'll have a few million in his back pocket. That's a nice little starting point for a twenty-something.