Any truth to this? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Any truth to this?

During my sons Senior year in HS they played in there as the late game of a local HS Kickoff Classic. It was suppose to start at 8:30pm but due to the earlier games running late or going into OT, they didnt get started until 10:30. It was the most miserable football game I have ever been to (and Im a Bills season ticket holder). I think it was 110 degrees on the field. Outside it was one of those rare days were it was something like 95 dgrees (last weekend in August). I remember talking with my Dad that if this was an SU game with 40k+ in there that it would almost be unplayable.

Some of those early season games in the Dome are just as bad heat wise as being outside during late November games would be.
As seldom as they need it, to me it is inconceivable that the *Carrier* Dome has no air conditioning.

FWIW, the land the Dome sits on is very valuable for student housing. It's no secret that the University would like to transform that area, as it is doing all around the west side of the Dome right now. There is also a ton of SU-owned land at South Campus just waiting for shovels. As Bees stated, there is nothing imminent, but the discussions and chatter continue. And I agree that 5-10 years out is when it would happen.

people want to complain about the dome on the hot weather days are forgetting that sitting outside in 80-85 degree sunshine is also not a picnic. you cant even begin to equate sitting in the dome on a hot humid day where you can go grab a drink to cool down to sitting in the dome on a 35 degree day with pouring rain.. all the excitement about the pin stripe bowl forgets that 20% of the crowd watched the games from underneath the stadium and never sat in the seats because the rain soaked everything..

people want to complain about the dome on the hot weather days are forgetting that sitting outside in 80-85 degree sunshine is also not a picnic. you cant even begin to equate sitting in the dome on a hot humid day where you can go grab a drink to cool down to sitting in the dome on a 35 degree day with pouring rain.. all the excitement about the pin stripe bowl forgets that 20% of the crowd watched the games from underneath the stadium and never sat in the seats because the rain soaked everything..
And my seats stayed dry? And here I was standing under cover because I thought they would be soaked. Well, at least someone took advantage of them.:cool:

What's so bad about an open air football stadium. Show some heart as a fan. It would be a huge homefield advantage for us late in the year against southern acc schools. We are from Syracuse. We aren't wimps. If the team is good people will go whether it's 100 or negative 10.
Yeah...and those southern recruits would just love to come here to play and practice every day in snow, ice and cold.

Yeah...and those southern recruits would just love to come here to play and practice every day in snow, ice and cold.
Works for Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan...oh wait, we are Syarcuse

Now I'm not buying this and think its bogus.

My father told me that while he was at a holiday party his cousin told him Syracuse was trying to get an open air stadium and a new basketball arena.

Dude's not a liar, but I do think he's misinformed. No way this is happening?
The discussions that were held a couple of years ago were regarding a domed multi purpose stadium that would also be used for basketball. It would have also included a convention center, a hotel, a mall, etc. The dome, like all recent domes. would be retractable.

IMHO, it makes no economic sense to build an open air stadium for football and a separate basketball arena, especially not for a basketball program that draws like Syracuse does. That is why they are not looking to go in that direction.

The discussions that were held a couple of years ago were regarding a domed multi purpose stadium that would also be used for basketball. It would have also included a convention center, a hotel, a mall, etc. The dome, like all recent domes. would be retractable.

IMHO, it makes no economic sense to build an open air stadium for football and a separate basketball arena, especially not for a basketball program that draws like Syracuse does. That is why they are not looking to go in that direction.
thats what I was saying. And this direction sounds fantastic, hopefully its a go.

We cant get an IPF because of funds, but we can afford this?

It's not the we, it's the who.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The open air is probably being considered because of cost. But discussions of 2 separate facilities have most definitely been discussed recently.

It's not the we, it's the who.

Who is the who?
th

Completely agree.

Plus, we have bigger fish to fry in terms of how to allocate investment spend toward improving the football program.

at least it wouldn't be a stuffy, humid 100 degrees with no circulation like the NW game

As a fan, that's a trade off I'm more than willing to make in exchange for watching opposing teams cramp up and fall apart in the 2nd half.

Also, sitting in the rain sucks.

Completely agree.

Plus, we have bigger fish to fry in terms of how to allocate investment spend toward improving the football program.

Look at it this way. If a couple folks want to dump big bucks towards a new stadium do you tell them no you have to give towards the IPF?

They could practice inside at least.

If recruits don't come here, well: we already know Shafer's feeling on that topic!

Look at it this way. If a couple folks want to dump big bucks towards a new stadium do you tell them no you have to give towards the IPF?

True dat

Sure. Would building these 2 new stadiums be before or after they build the IPF that we can't raise the money for?