Any way Slimipari gets it in the neck is ok with me | Syracusefan.com

Any way Slimipari gets it in the neck is ok with me

alibrat66

2nd String
First, let me offer a caveat: I understand fully why guys sign NBA contracts before they complete their studies at the university or college that gave them the athletic scholarship. They may have financial hardship in their families, blow up into a huge talent after one or two years of playing college ball, or otherwise opt to take the payoff. Can't blame them, really.

However, Slimipari has made a mockery of the process. It is obvious to me that he sells very talented guys to come to UK (and maybe sweetens the pot with van full of cash), based on, with a wink and a nod, tacitly or directly letting them know that they only have to attend one semester of classes, and they can showcase their talents at Lexington for one year, before traipsing off for the big bucks. These guys have little or no interest or motivation in getting a college education and learning to think about larger things than becoming a blingaholic, which is what a university or college is supposed to be all about. Call me idealistic or naive. Whatever.

Like I said, I don't necessarily fault the players; it would very hard for anyone to turn down a one way street to wealth (forgetting for the moment that the majority of them end up broke a few years after they retire). My issue is with Slimipari; he exploits them for his own ego and bank account. To him, these young guys are hired guns. No more, no less. I doubt whether he has long term relationships with few or any of them.

That is the reason that, whenever he loses, like last night, I grow a bit of a chub.

PS: I regret that John Cheney didn't kick his ass during that press conference a decade or so ago. I bet Cheney also regrets not putting his foot up Slimipari's butt.

I actually didnt know who you were talking about the first time through. I was wondering who this new guy was Kentucky hired.

First, let me offer a caveat: I understand fully why guys sign NBA contracts before they complete their studies at the university or college that gave them the athletic scholarship. They may have financial hardship in their families, blow up into a huge talent after one or two years of playing college ball, or otherwise opt to take the payoff. Can't blame them, really.

However, Slimipari has made a mockery of the process. It is obvious to me that he sells very talented guys to come to UK (and maybe sweetens the pot with van full of cash), based on, with a wink and a nod, tacitly or directly letting them know that they only have to attend one semester of classes, and they can showcase their talents at Lexington for one year, before traipsing off for the big bucks. These guys have little or no interest or motivation in getting a college education and learning to think about larger things than becoming a blingaholic, which is what a university or college is supposed to be all about. Call me idealistic or naive. Whatever.

Like I said, I don't necessarily fault the players; it would very hard for anyone to turn down a one way street to wealth (forgetting for the moment that the majority of them end up broke a few years after they retire). My issue is with Slimipari; he exploits them for his own ego and bank account. To him, these young guys are hired guns. No more, no less. I doubt whether he has long term relationships with few or any of them.

That is the reason that, whenever he loses, like last night, I grow a bit of a chub.

PS: I regret that John Cheney didn't kick his ass during that press conference a decade or so ago. I bet Cheney also regrets not putting his foot up Slimipari's butt.
All of these kids are wiz bang wunderkinds. They would be going pro at Syracuse, LeMoyne or OCC. He is just trying to corner the market on these guys.
Of course, few seemed to mind Bryce Harper's approach, where he quit High School to get drafted earlier. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-path-to-the-major-leagues-is-a-troubling-one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom