Anyone agree Carlos Delgado deserved better? ... | Syracusefan.com

Anyone agree Carlos Delgado deserved better? ...

Cowtown

Sesquipedalia verba
One of the Toronto sports stations was commenting how popular opinion there has revered Jose Bautista (to whom I refer as the official hot dog of the Toronto Blue Jays) to such elevated status, but that his numbers weren't up to those of Carlos Delgado. So I did a quick look and found the attached. I was never his biggest fan, but I mean really: 17 seasons, career .280, 473 HR's, 1512 RBI's, .929 OPS, and he's off the ballot after one year of eligibility? Good grief.

Delgado deserved far better in HOF voting

His numbers are awesome, but playing in the steroid era did not help him, even though he was never connected.

Absolutely agree. He put up some incredible offensive numbers between 1996 and 2008, and was quite consistent.
2016-07-21 14.03.45.jpg

Carlos Delgado Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com

His numbers are awesome, but playing in the steroid era did not help him, even though he was never connected.

I don't think I ever heard a rumor about him, he deserves serious consideration.

My favorite player of all time.

I don't think I ever heard a rumor about him, he deserves serious consideration.

I don't disagree.

Jeff Bagwell is suffering from the same problem, although he is still on the ballot.

I think Delgado losing the 2003 MVP race to A-Rod was one of the greatest crimes in MVP award/Sports history.

Bagwell is not a hof.

If you think Delgado is a HOF'er Bagwell is. Bagwell was a gold glover, had a higher batting average, higher OPS, more hits, more doubles and went 30/30 twice. He had over 200 stolen bases for his career, Delgado had 14. The only thing Delgado beats Bagwell in is Home Runs, and he only has 24 more. I think both are Hof'ers, but Bagwell was the better player. They both are not in the hall of fame because they played during the height of the steroid era even though they cannot be connected to any PED's.

Bagwell also played in a pitchers park for most of his career (astrodome), while Delgado had the advantage of playing in a hitters park in Toronto.

Delgado played on the Chiefs so...
Delgado > Bagwell

Bagwell is not a hof.
Bagwell had first ballot credentials, like Piazza, and he will almost certainly go in next year. Huge power numbers, walked a ton, very solid in the field.

Well he's off the ballot now, so it will be a while before Delgado can be considered.

Bagwell had first ballot credentials, like Piazza, and he will almost certainly go in next year. Huge power numbers, walked a ton, very solid in the field.

Bagwell has good numbers, but there have been steroid rumors, I also think he falls into the category of compiler.

The thing that hurts Delgado, and this number shocked me, he only was a two time all star.

His numbers are better than I thought, I guess I was kind of brainwashed by the media, that he wasn't a hof.
When I think of compilers, I think of guys like Tony Perez and Don Sutton. I'm old enough to have watched them play. They were fine players, but they never at any time were the dominant players at their positions, nor were they ever even the best player on their own team.

Tony Perez Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com

Don Sutton Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com

The thing that hurts Delgado, and this number shocked me, he only was a two time all star.

Absolutely ridiculous. As a power hitter batted over .300 four times. 30 + home runs ELEVEN times. Eclipsed 100 RBI's NINE times and was a doubles machine.

F politics. He played in a time where roided up players like Giambi got the votes.

you ever want to see an injustice, look up Luis Tiant. His numbers are almost identical to Catfish Hunter.

Albert Belle if he wasn't an awful human being, would have got some consideration, he put up some big numbers.

Huge Delgado fan, one of my all-time favorites. Enjoyed watching him in Syracuse in the early '90s, loved seeing him tear it up with the Mets while tolerating Jose Reyes's complicated high-fives at Shea. I was at Citi Field in April 2009 when he hit that improbable triple and suffered what would turn out to be a career-ending hip injury on the slide.

That said, I don't know - he was very good for a long period, but he always seemed on the next level below Hall of Fame status.

Bagwell was freaking awesome. An incredible player, and really well rounded for a 1B as well.

Delgado; I dunno. He definitely should have stayed on the ballot longer, but I'm not sure he was a HOF. He played in a heavy hitters era and he played the easiest defensive position. He was a hell of a hitter for a long time though. His 2000 season was an all timer though, 100 XBH on the button.

I consider myself a pretty close baseball follower but Delgado has a much stronger case than I realized.

What do you all think about Fred McGriff? I admit being biased because Fred was one of the guys I remember watching in MacArthur for the Chiefs growing up and then I moved to Atlanta and became a huge Braves fan and loved him there. I just loved the quiet way he went about having a great career, and actually him being soft spoken and not drawing attention to himself might be one reason he doesn't get as much consideration.

Fred McGriff Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom