Anyone else here going to the Michigan game? | Syracusefan.com

Anyone else here going to the Michigan game?

cto

Administrator
A group of friends (who have both SU and Michigan ties) decided to charter a plane for Tuesday, and they invited me to join them on the round-trip flight from White Plains to Ann Arbor. Assuming the weather cooperates, we are making the round trip (including dinner and the game) in nine hours!

I've never seen the Michigan campus, so I am looking forward to the trip as an adventure. Any recommendations on what to see during a very quick visit?

Last edited:
That sounds like a great trip. It should be interesting to see how many Cuse fans are there (paging Dick in Michigan!!). I've only been to Ann Arbor once and it wasn't for a game and all I remember is that there are a ton of places to pick up anything maize and blue. I would definitely like to go back again another time for a game.

A group of friends (who have both SU and Michigan ties) decided to charter a plane for Tuesday, and they invited me to join them on the round-trip flight from White Plains to Ann Arbor. Assuming the weather cooperates, we are making the round trip (including dinner and the game) in nine hours!

I've never seen the Michigan campus, so I am looking forward to the trip as an adventure. Any recommendations on what to see during a very quick visit?
Hope you can get decent seats on such short notice!

Little known fact: White Plains Airport is not in White Plains. Its airport code name is HPN... which stands for Harrison, Port Chester, North Castle, the three communities in which it is located. I grew up in North Castle (Armonk), about five miles from it.

I spent a long weekend in Ann Arbor when my son was applying to colleges. But mostly went on a tour, and my son met with a professor he had contacted. I remember the town part of campus had some really nice restaurants. There are 2 parts to the campus, and the med school in between. The engineering school was on the newer campus. I also think the art school or something was there. The buildings are much more modern. The main campus has the more ivy/older look to it. The town is attached next to the main/older part of campus and if I remember the football field is a bit of a walk from campus. They have buses that connect the campuses. Of course I was there in fall of 2003, a while ago. I remember really liking Ann Arbor overall. Have fun.

Little known fact: White Plains Airport is not in White Plains. Its airport code name is HPN... which stands for Harrison, Port Chester, North Castle, the three communities in which it is located. I grew up in North Castle (Armonk), about five miles from it.

The IATA code for Westchester County Airport is HPN. There is a debate in the origins of this code. Many believe that it is derived from the name of the city, White Plains (IATA codes normally do not begin with W because those are reserved for radio signals). Others believe the IATA code represents the first letter of the three neighboring communities,Harrison, Purchase, and North Castle.[15] The full ICAO code for Westchester County Airport is KHPN.

The IATA code for Westchester County Airport is HPN. There is a debate in the origins of this code. Many believe that it is derived from the name of the city, White Plains (IATA codes normally do not begin with W because those are reserved for radio signals). Others believe the IATA code represents the first letter of the three neighboring communities,Harrison, Purchase, and North Castle.[15] The full ICAO code for Westchester County Airport is KHPN.

Arent all airports K---?

Syr is the syracuse code, but on flight aware it is KSYR so is KATL

I am on the fence. 3 hours from Cleveland and I am free. Plenty of reasonable tickets on Stubhub left. I don't know. Ann Arbor is great place, know it well, but not feeling this game. Snap me out of this funk!

I spent a long weekend in Ann Arbor when my son was applying to colleges. But mostly went on a tour, and my son met with a professor he had contacted. I remember the town part of campus had some really nice restaurants. There are 2 parts to the campus, and the med school in between. The engineering school was on the newer campus. I also think the art school or something was there. The buildings are much more modern. The main campus has the more ivy/older look to it. The town is attached next to the main/older part of campus and if I remember the football field is a bit of a walk from campus. They have buses that connect the campuses. Of course I was there in fall of 2003, a while ago. I remember really liking Ann Arbor overall. Have fun.

Yes, the stadium and Crisler are further away from campus. North U and South U and the med and engineering schools, like you said. Some really good restaurants and cool bars in the downtown and South U areas especially.

Very excited to have the Cuse in my backyard. I will be there with my Orange on!! If you can make it to Zingerman's Deli it's an Ann Arbor staple, Chop House and Slurping Turtle for dinner...it would be an honor to meet the legendary CTO. Where are sitting?

Very excited to have the Cuse in my backyard. I will be there with my Orange on!! If you can make it to Zingerman's Deli it's an Ann Arbor staple, Chop House and Slurping Turtle for dinner...it would be an honor to meet the legendary CTO. Where are sitting?
We are eating at the Chop House at 5 p.m. (I think I'll be with about 10 guys and perhaps one other woman). I suspect we will have seats somewhere behind the SU bench (but I never take seat location for granted).

Last edited:

Me. Team hotel.

I didn't know that. Always wondered why Westchester County Airport at White Plains was labeled HPN. Made no sense to me. Even now, not sure how Port Chester got in there. Maybe Greenwich, CT. The Village of PC is on the Sound? Need to study the map.

Enjoy the trip.

The great recession really hurt my business and financial situation. I am force to pass but I would have loved to have gone!

I didn't know that. Always wondered why Westchester County Airport at White Plains was labeled HPN. Made no sense to me. Even now, not sure how Port Chester got in there. Maybe Greenwich, CT. The Village of PC is on the Sound? Need to study the map.

Enjoy the trip.
Toga, above, was correct. It is Purchase. I don't know why I said Port Chester, because Iknow it is Purchase

Last edited:
I am on the fence. 3 hours from Cleveland and I am free. Plenty of reasonable tickets on Stubhub left. I don't know. Ann Arbor is great place, know it well, but not feeling this game. Snap me out of this funk!
SoBeCuse, if you fear we shall be beaten, even more reason to attend the game! Wear your Orange, and bring good energy. It will hearten the spirits of the team and may even inspire them to greatness!

Help us, SoBeWanKanCuseBi, you're our only hope!

If it wasn't a Tuesday (work & school night), I'd definitely be there from central Illinois. We have friends and relatives within 15 minutes of Ann Arbor, but not meant to be this year. Too bad, last time I watched our boys in Michigan, a young man named 'Melo was lighting up Breslin Center...

Toga, above, was correct. It is Purchase. I don't know why I said Port Chester, because Iknow it is Purchase

Ah - of course. Purchase abuts the airport. I even read Toga's post and it still didn't twig.

Really wanted to make this trip, but when I found out the game was on a Tuesday, I couldn't swing it. Went to Ann Arbor for the first time around this time last year. Some cool bars and restaurants (including a couple brewpubs worth checking out). Plus there are some interesting shops right on the main strip in town.

Ann Arbor is a great town. Went there in 2000. Thats about all i can bring to this conversation lol.

Just hit up Main Street and you can't go wrong - lots of great bars, restaurants, and cool shops. The law quad is the prettiest part of campus.

Flying on this guy?

maxresdefault.jpg