Anyone have a good reading on George McDonald's preferred offensive style? | Syracusefan.com

Anyone have a good reading on George McDonald's preferred offensive style?

CaliCuse

All American
Balanced pro? Pass first run as needed?Will Jerome likely get the first snap of every game as he did las season or does George have a more creative mind than the DougNat philosophy of nothing new for this game. Yeah I know they were averaging about 31 points per game towards the end.That and a quality defense was excellent. I look forward to the manifestation of Scott's words about putting fear into the parents of opposing players when they play Syracuse. I like the concept and hope there is some truth behind the words.:blah:

I don't think it's possible to know quite yet.. he's never called plays before..I think this spring will let him know what talent level is and he'll decide from there. That said, I believe Shafer was telling the truth... he believes SU will beat up on people. That doesn't mean he's guaranteeing 9 wins, but I'm relatively confident that teams are going to wish they had a week off after playing us. I think that's pretty honest.

I don't think it's possible to know quite yet.. he's never called plays before..I think this spring will let him know what talent level is and he'll decide from there. That said, I believe Shafer was telling the truth... he believes SU will beat up on people. That doesn't mean he's guaranteeing 9 wins, but I'm relatively confident that teams are going to wish they had a week off after playing us. I think that's pretty honest.
He was OC for two years at Western Michigan. Don't understand why people keep saying he hasn't called plays before.

He was OC for two years at Western Michigan. Don't understand why people keep saying he hasn't called plays before.
I stand corrected. That said, 2 years is hardly enough of a sample size to determine what McDonald will do. He's likely learned a lot in the last 6+ years, so guessing as to what he'll do with the reigns is impossible right now.

To me, that was always Syracuse football. That's how the Schwartzwalder teams played, of course. That was the Coach Mac teams and the early to middle Coach P teams too. The offensive guys got all the glory, but we had some really good defensive players who put the hurt on people.

I stand corrected. That said, 2 years is hardly enough of a sample size to determine what McDonald will do. He's likely learned a lot in the last 6+ years, so guessing as to what he'll do with the reigns is impossible right now.
We have Hackett nailed after 2 years.

To me, we look like we have enough athletes to win about 6 games against our schedule. If we can find a quarterback, a left tackle and a go-to receiver, we could win 8 games. That would be a great way to launch ourselves into the ACC. I also like that our OC has recently coached against all these teams.

This is going to help us a lot in game planning. It's almost like we'll have an advantage in that regard until they get to see a few games of our new staff. Too bad we didn't get a couple early conference games.

We have Hackett nailed after 2 years.
I was never fully sold. Hope he does well, but I've never been one to put stock behind 1 year of quality results.

So did he show tendencies or is this a factor of personnel?:noidea:

I was never fully sold. Hope he does well, but I've never been one to put stock behind 1 year of quality results.
Apparently Doug doesn't agree but lookingat what Marrone took with him its surprising he didn' try taking Otto there as well as a new mascot.:p

So did he show tendencies or is this a factor of personnel?:noidea:
His first year was productive, over 400 ypg. His second year he was forced to use the HC's son at QB and they struggled a bit, only 320 ypg. (rough estimates, saw these #'s somewhere and didn't feel like looking them up). I think we'll be fine.

3 yards and a cloud of black rubber pellets,

Seriously, I think he is going to be pretty conservative. Will run the ball a lot this season, especially early. Inexperienced QB, inexperienced WRs, experienced and talented RBs.

Seriously, I think he is going to be pretty conservative. Will run the ball a lot this season, especially early. Inexperienced QB, inexperienced WRs, experienced and talented RBs.
As much as I would love to see the ball thrown around 40+ times per game that would be pretty silly considering the returning strengths of the team. That said, hopefully the quality of our running game will give McDonald and the QB's some leeway to try a few things to see how they work. Play action should be a primary part of the passing game and if we develop a reliable deep threat we should be able to take some deep shots downfield. What I'd really like to see is a heavy use of our TE's in the passing game. With the depth and quality we've brought in the past few years we should be able to throw consistently in the 7-15 yard zones.

Running and throwing to our TE's, an inexperienced QB's best friend.

Balanced pro? Pass first run as needed?Will Jerome likely get the first snap of every game as he did las season or does George have a more creative mind than the DougNat philosophy of nothing new for this game. Yeah I know they were averaging about 31 points per game towards the end.That and a quality defense was excellent. I look forward to the manifestation of Scott's words about putting fear into the parents of opposing players when they play Syracuse. I like the concept and hope there is some truth behind the words.:blah:

He has said various times that the offense will be "similar" to last year's, uptempo, spread the field, and "very physical." I am pretty certain that they are looking to spread the field and run the ball, especially early. GM has also stated that he will focus on getting the ball to the playmakers as often as possible.

I highly doubt McDonald is going to change his playbook around to suit the talent year by year. Minor tweaks, but no overhauls. I think the base playbook is going to look real pass heavy with a spread, with adjustments as needed.

Wishbone.

I originally heard that as well, but since then I heard he was going to meet with Pasqualoni and DeLeone to learn the "freeze option."

I have no problem with that so long as they play up tempo.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2