Anyone more worried about WVU than they were about Cincy? | Syracusefan.com

Anyone more worried about WVU than they were about Cincy?

jdubs30

Living Legend
WVU has arguably the best rebounder in the BE in Kevin Jones; and Kilici is a force down low, dude is impossible to move. All Cincy had was Gates and a thin Justin Jackson. WVU might have the biggest combo of big men in the Big East. Hopefully Truck Bryant shoots them out of the game early, but I'm scared of KJ and Kilici.

It does indeed suck to have to face all these big men without ours. I fully expect Xmas to get a full-Turkish on Saturday, but that doesn't necessarily mean we lose.

WVU has arguably the best rebounder in the BE in Kevin Jones; and Kilici is a force down low, dude is impossible to move. All Cincy had was Gates and a thin Justin Jackson. WVU might have the biggest combo of big men in the Big East. Hopefully Truck Bryant shoots them out of the game early, but I'm scared of KJ and Kilici.

This seems awfully similar to a "bad feeling" thread.

But Jones is beastly and could be a great test for Rak. I think we win relatively comfortably though, 8-10 points.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Not that worried, but Jones is prolly gonna get 35 rebounds against us.

Yes.

This will be bizzaro season. We lose to WVU and UND, two teams we have OWNED.

But we sweep 'Ville and UConn

Yes.

This will be bizzaro season. We lose to WVU and UND, two teams we have OWNED.

But we sweep 'Ville and UConn
Before EVERY Big East game, I run through scenarios in my head about our guys not showing up mentally or about some scrub going off for a record game against us. Now if the genie in the Orange lamp told me he would guarantee this result - I would sign up for it in a hearbeat!

I'm not worried. Their guard play isn't very good. And Kilici isn't anything to worry about as far as I'm concerned. They are essentially a one man team. That one man is very very good, however. But they struggled against St. John's zone. Our is much, much better.

If you are scared buy a dog, it will provide you both protection and companionship.

Not worried. Curious to see how BMK and Xmas do against Kilici but WVU just got pasted by a bad St. John's team that started 5 freshman. Not to mention that our game is in the Dome.

It does indeed suck to have to face all these big men without ours. I fully expect Xmas to get a full-Turkish on Saturday, but that doesn't necessarily mean we lose.
I'll preface this with the assumption that Fab comes back.

That being said, I think it's great that we're facing good big men while Fab is out. Let's face it, the only positive from Fab sitting is the advanced development of Rak. I'd rather Rak get some serious tests right now, so he'll be as prepared as he can be come tourney time.

They have zero zone busters which will allow us to cheat in and help out RAK I think we will be fine

All I know is that Jones went off against St. johns (I think he scored around 25-26 points) and Bryant got his as well and they got smoked by 5 freshmen.

Let Jones get his. As long as wel put the ball in the hoop we will be fine.

If you go by only their last game, sure West Virginia has no chance, but I think its unlikely that they play that poorly two games in a row. From what I've seen, West Virginia throws up a lot of threes and hits the boards very hard. They also play tough defense. That is not a bad gameplan to have going up against Syracuse, and I think West Virginia does pose some match up problems.

I'm not saying we lose, but a loss is certainly possible. It would not be as unexpected as losing to Notre Dame.

Also, if Fab does not end up playing, West Virginia is a team that can exploit that. Talk about bad luck. We just played a run of games against smaller, quicker teams (Providence twice, Villanova, Marquette). Had Fab missed any of those games we would have hardly noticed. But the minute Fab cant play we go up against three teams in a row who have a big strong center with the ability to score in the post. Bad luck.

Even so, I dont think West Virginia scores a ton of points against us. I have a hunch Waiters will have big bounce back game, and I am thinking there is a pretty good chance that SU comes out with a win. But if they do it will be a good win. West Virginia is a decent team who matches up pretty well against us.

WVU has a good, really tough team this year, and this will likely be a battle all the way through. But I think the matchup favors us, even without Fab Melo. The key will be getting a similar performance out of Rak as we got from the Cincy game. If he (or BMK for that matter can turn things around) can do that, then the defense is going to limit the damage guys like Jones and Bryant can do. Jones is a great player and is going to get his, but this is a tough matchup for him and I don't think he'll be able to take over the game and be the difference maker like he's been in other games. (Especially if our zone takes away his inside game, he's a 29% 3 pt shooter so far this year). I think he'll just put up for respectable numbers in a losing effort - largely because I think the other poster nailed it pointing out that WVU, at least right now, doesn't look like it has a zone buster, and so I'm hoping that means WVU will have to settle for a lot of long, low percentage outside shots. Also working in our favor, WVU is not a particularly deep team, and they're very young, so I wouldn't mind seeing Boeheim pressing a lot to try to force some turnovers from their young kids and wear them down a bit. WVU is averaging 15 assists per game and 14 turnovers a game, so that might be a vulnerability we can exploit. But again the key is Rak holding his own against that big bearded Turk - or at least coming close to it. If not, we'll need big games from guys like KJo and Dion and Scoop to pull this out.

I go into almost every conference game with the though that we could lose, at least until I see which SU team has shown up. Then, I adjust my angst level accordingly.

Absolutely. It's a bad match-up for us, they just played an impossibly horrid game in the middle of the week (very unlikely that they follow that up with anything but a good performance), and they're due for a win against us.

We'll need to play a good game to win tomorrow; the level of play we saw against Cincinnati or for the last 35 minutes against Pittsburgh probably won't be enough.

I will always be more worried about WVU than Cincy. Not taking anything away from the job Mick Cronin has done, but WVU always plays us tough, and Kevin Jones is having a monster season. It is a little unfair that they still let Truck Bryant play considering he's been there since about 1988, but oh well.

Dion is due to return to form. This is not a good thing for WVU. That guy is like Jaws in the water, man. Jaws in the water.

I think they are due for a good shooting night, and nothing like some home cooking with the biggest crowd of the year to get that

@ Cincy scares me more than WVU at home. I am sure I just assured us of losing tomorrow.

The key for WVU this season is Truck Bryant. Kevin Jones will get you 20 & 10 most every night, but as Truck goes, so do the Eers.
Also, I've never understood the logic that says "because they played poorly last game, they're bound to play better in this game".
They barely squeaked out a home win vs Cincy BEFORE the SJU game- & played even worse at MSG.
We win this one going away, "because Dion played poorly last game, & he's bound to play better in this game"! ;)