Anyone Notice ... | Syracusefan.com

Anyone Notice ...

SU94

Starter
Some of the on-field similarities between Dino’s SU Football program and Art Briles crew at Baylor (2008-15)? This post is sports-centric and will not factor in their terrible scandal. Football only.

Briles went 4-8 and 4-8 in his initial two season in Waco. Sound familiar? Followed that with a 7-6 campaign, including a win in the Texas Bowl, in Year 3. I think that’s about what most here forecast for SU in 2018.

But we’re ahead of the program benchmarks they established. Dino has yearly signature wins over ranked teams (VT, Clemson, NCSU). Briles’ Bears went 0-13 against ranked foes in years 1-3.

They finally broke through in the opener of Briles’ 4th season (W50-48 vs #14 TCU).

From 2011-15, Briles went 12-9 against ranked foes, including 3-2 when facing Oklahoma (who is akin to Clemson).

What’s most interesting to me is what came after year three: double- digit wins in 4 of Briles’ last 5 seasons.

From 2010-15, Baylor went to the Texas Bowl (W), Alamo Bowl (W), Holiday Bowl (L), Fiesta Bowl (L), Russell Athletic Bowl (W) and Cactus Bowl (W).

Bowl Record: 4-2 (Wins over Washington, UCLA, UNC and Boise State; Losses to UCF and Michigan State)
Average points per game in those 6 bowls: 46.5.

I suspect our conference and division are going to be tougher to navigate than the Big 12 was with a vulnerable Texas program. But perhaps FSU will mimick Texas for a while.

But, I see a ton of ON-FIELD correlations, and if anything, Dino has posted slightly superior results to date at SU.

Fun, fun and funner!

Last edited: