Anyone watching the 30 for 30? | Syracusefan.com

Anyone watching the 30 for 30?

About the "bad boy pistons".

Incredible. Love these things. Tons of basketball legends making cameos.
I am watching. They were probably the best/talented team for those two years ever assembled from 1 through 12.

Interesting that they don't note that Byron Scott got hurt in game 1 and missed the rest of the series. That was a HUGE break for the Pistons. Obviously they couldn't ignore Magic's injury, but Scott was really good too.

That was back when I still followed the NBA pretty strongly. Couldn't stand them. I've always been a Celtics fan. Laimbeer, Mahorn and Isiah were the worst. Oh yeah Rodman too. Always liked Dumars - he didn't belong with that crew.

I feel like Rodman was such a nice and likable guy in Detroit. When he went to the Spurs in the mid-90s he just went off the deep end.

I feel like Rodman was such a nice and likable guy in Detroit. When he went to the Spurs in the mid-90s he just went off the deep end.

I think towards the end of the his tenure in Detroit, he was showing signs of what was to come.

I remember him having all kinds of problems when he was still in Detroit for another year or two after Chuck Daly left, not reporting to camp, having a gun in the parking lot, etc. I think that's when he went off the deep end.

Now you know why Isaiah was not on the Olympic Dream team.

Amen. If you watch the Dream Team documentary, they don't mince any words about that topic. Thomas was considered Persona Non Grata, and not just by the players. It didn't even matter that Chuck Daly was the coach. Isaiah was not going to be invited to play. He was seen as the orchestrator of the "Bad Boy" shenanigans. Maybe it was good for the NBA, but USA Basketball wanted nothing to do with it. He would have been a cancer on that squad.

I couldn't help but think throughout how all those fouls would be flagrant 2's, ejections and suspensions now.
And the retaliations (Bird, Parish, etc.), multi game suspensions for landed punches. Parish didn't even get thrown out!

Basketball as a contact sport - it was the Pistons and then the Knicks that caused me to stop being interested in the NBA. Laimbeer was the dirtest of them, but when someone would come after him, he would run and hide behind Mahorn or Rodman - what a chickenshiit.

I am watching. They were probably the best/talented team for those two years ever assembled from 1 through 12.

Rodman averaged 14 boards his last year at age like 38! That's just stupid.

Sorry I missed it, but i was at Holy Thursday service at church. I loved that era of the NBA... but later lost interest. I assume it will be rebroadcast 100 times.

Rodman was the best rebounder I've ever seen. Crazy how good he was. It's an odd talent and goes under appreciated, but its hard to win without the ball.

Amen. If you watch the Dream Team documentary, they don't mince any words about that topic. Thomas was considered Persona Non Grata, and not just by the players. It didn't even matter that Chuck Daly was the coach. Isaiah was not going to be invited to play. He was seen as the orchestrator of the "Bad Boy" shenanigans. Maybe it was good for the NBA, but USA Basketball wanted nothing to do with it. He would have been a cancer on that squad.
I do know that he and MJ didn't see eye to eye especially after the battles and the game ending stunt. MJ was the man to market and oh yeah the best on the planet so it was his call not to have Zek on the team. It was said that if Zek was on the team then he would not be playing on the team.

Basketball as a contact sport - it was the Pistons and then the Knicks that caused me to stop being interested in the NBA. Laimbeer was the dirtest of them, but when someone would come after him, he would run and hide behind Mahorn or Rodman - what a chickenshiit.
I thought Lambeer was dirty at the time when I was younger watching as a fan but then I knew that kind of play came with the territory when I got older and dished out my own punishment. You definitely had to put on your hard hats and go rumble. Lambeer actions were more mental for the demise of the opponent then physically challenging.

I also was under the assumption Rodman was always a wacko when in fact he was the opposite. Somehow even pretty well spoken in his segments during the documentary

I also was under the assumption Rodman was always a wacko when in fact he was the opposite. Somehow even pretty well spoken in his segments during the documentary
He was even somewhat of scorer until he embraced the rebounding/defending role sacrificing his O game for the betterment of the team.

Laimbeer's daughter Keri played at SU for a couple of years around 2005.

There's something about Isiah Thomas' personality that's just creepy. Just the sound of his voice makes me uncomfortable.

About the "bad boy pistons".

Incredible. Love these things. Tons of basketball legends making cameos.

Adrian Dantley comes off as the biggest {guess you can't say a word that rhymes with stick on here} in that show. Was he the last guy to refuse to leave the court when being subbed for? And Rodman obviously had talent, so AD needed to go.

Aquire was smooth, and I can forgive Zeke, he said he could have handled the Bulls defeat better, so there is hope for him. the 3rd Q against the Lakers was ridiculous on a badly sprained ankle, still a finals record for points in a quarter. Rodman was a starry eyed country bumpkin in the bright lights of the big city. He genuinely loved that team for the chance it gave him. What a motor, one of the few players who could dominate a game without ever shooting the ball. I loved those teams.

Last edited:
Adrian Dantley comes off as the biggest {guess you can't stay a word that rhymes with stick on here} in that show. Was he the last guy to refuse to leave the court when being subbed for? And Rodman obviously had talent, so AD needed to go.

Aquire was smooth, and I can forgive Zeke, he said he could have handled the Bulls defeat better, so there is hope for him. the 3rd Q against the Lakers was ridiculous on a badly sprained ankle, still a finals record for points in a quarter. Rodman was a starry eyed country bumpkin in the bright lights of the big city. He genuinely loved that team for the chance it gave him. What a motor, one of the few players who could dominate a game without ever shooting the ball. I loved those teams.

I'm finally able to run a bit on my ankle that I sprained back on dec 30th. I was cringing watching the highlights from Thomas in that game.

I also never realized dantley was so good. I looked up his stats and was shocked. Knew he was am all star but no clue he was so prolific.