AO was the #1 top D-league performer this week | Syracusefan.com

AO was the #1 top D-league performer this week

Gabjon

All American
No. 1: Arinze Onuaku
F, Canton Charge
If you're looking for a sleeper Call-Up -- one who won't lead the league in scoring...or rebounding...or even play more than 25 minutes a night -- Onuaku's about as good as it gets. Few players in the NBA D-League do as much with their minutes as the former Syracuse forward, who went 14-for-17 over the weekend with a 15-point and 10-rebound average in 26 minutes a night over two games.

F, Canton Charge
If you're looking for a sleeper Call-Up -- one who won't lead the league in scoring...or rebounding...or even play more than 25 minutes a night -- Onuaku's about as good as it gets. Few players in the NBA D-League do as much with their minutes as the former Syracuse forward, who went 14-for-17 over the weekend with a 15-point and 10-rebound average in 26 minutes a night over two games.

I'd really love it if AO got a call-up.

If you look at all our D-league players except for Paul it's not about there basketball skill it's about there athletic ability. The better athlete you are the less skilled player you need to be to make the NBA. Rautins, Nichols, AO, and Ricky are not great athletes so they need to be extremely skilled at one thing to get to the league.

I think Kris is going to stick in the league he played in garage time last night but he can defend and rebound his position, which is very important. If his jumper doesn't improve he won't be long for the league though.

The funny thing is Cleveland may become SU2. There is a very good chance that the Cavs trade Varejao and Boston is in desperate need for a elite rebounder so Fab and Kris might be traded to the Cavs for Varejao and even if that doesn't happen AO players for the Cavs D-league affiliate and could be called up after Varejao is traded.

F, Canton Charge

Did you notice who #2 was?

Paul Harris.

Kris Joseph 19.5 ppg 6.1 rpg
Demetris Nichols 16.4 ppg 5.9 rpg
Arinze Onuaku 13.9 ppg 11 rpg
Paul Harris 12.7 ppg 9.1 rpg
Andy Rautins 12 ppg 2.5 rpg
Fab Melo 10.4 ppg 6.7 rpg 3.9 bpg
Rick Jackson 8.9 ppg 8.7 rpg

Players that played at Cuse that are currently in the D-league are averaging a combined 93.8 ppg!!! Hopefully these guys all can continue to play well and earn a call up.

Players that played at Cuse that are currently in the D-league are averaging a combined 93.8 ppg!!! Hopefully these guys all can continue to play well and earn a call up.
Those are pretty solid. You would think that as the NBA season goes along and players get injured that a few of these guys will get opportunities. Every team usually mines a few guys.

Hard not to love seeing that. Sure they arent in the NBA yet, but a few of them have a legit shot. Keep getting better. Keep working. Very happy for AO.

I had a friend in the D-League. It's not a terrible life.

Did you notice who #2 was?

Paul Harris.

Yeah I saw that but he is still playing SF in the D-league. I think his only shot at the NBA is at the 2, but I'm putting for him just the same!

F, Canton Charge
How much do they get paid?

like 40-50K a year. The minimum NBA salary is like 750K.
They get some pretty significant benefits though. Most of the paycheck can more or less be banked if they play it smart.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

They get some pretty significant benefits though. Most of the paycheck can more or less be banked if they play it smart.

Yes but they could go to Europe and make 4X's that much.

Yes but they could go to Europe and make 4X's that much.
True. My buddy played half a season in France and made some great coin but was much happier back in the D League.

True. My buddy played half a season in France and made some great coin but was much happier back in the D League.

Yeah there are pluses and minuses to both. The guys I know who really liked playing in Europe usually met a woman in Europe they really liked ;)

Yeah there are pluses and minuses to both. The guys I know who really liked playing in Europe usually met a woman in Europe they really liked ;)
Makes sense. He felt pretty isolated.

Paul Harris with 30 pts, 18 reb tonight.
RJ with 13 & 12
AO with 18 & 17 (5 fouls, 4 TO and 2nd highest +/-) against Rautins with 7 pts, 2 reb, 1 assist, 5 TO and worst +/- on his team.
Flab with 14, 6 and 2 blocks (worst +/- among starters)
DNic with 17 & 7 (7/19 from field)

Paul Harris with 30 pts, 18 reb tonight.
RJ with 13 & 12
AO with 18 & 17 (5 fouls, 4 TO and 2nd highest +/-) against Rautins with 7 pts, 2 reb, 1 assist, 5 TO and worst +/- on his team.
Flab with 14, 6 and 2 blocks (worst +/- among starters)
DNic with 17 & 7 (7/19 from field)
That's a two game stretch for Harris in which he scored 30+ points each night and shot 68% from the field. Efficiency in chunks.

If you look at all our D-league players except for Paul it's not about there basketball skill it's about there athletic ability. The better athlete you are the less skilled player you need to be to make the NBA. Rautins, Nichols, AO, and Ricky are not great athletes so they need to be extremely skilled at one thing to get to the league.

I think Kris is going to stick in the league he played in garage time last night but he can defend and rebound his position, which is very important. If his jumper doesn't improve he won't be long for the league though.

The funny thing is Cleveland may become SU2. There is a very good chance that the Cavs trade Varejao and Boston is in desperate need for a elite rebounder so Fab and Kris might be traded to the Cavs for Varejao and even if that doesn't happen AO players for the Cavs D-league affiliate and could be called up after Varejao is traded.

The Cavs are not going to trade Varejao to Boston. They are asking for a ton--which is why he hasn't been traded in the last couple years. The Celtics can't put together and offer close to what the Cavs want. On the other hand, Cleveland could use a guy like AO. They need some toughness and a player who can actually make a back to the basket move.

The Cavs are not going to trade Varejao to Boston. They are asking for a ton--which is why he hasn't been traded in the last couple years. The Celtics can't put together and offer close to what the Cavs want. On the other hand, Cleveland could use a guy like AO. They need some toughness and a player who can actually make a back to the basket move.

I think Cleveland will have to come down on their price as the trading deadline approaches. Varejao is a valuable player but not a game changer unless you have great players around him. We will see but only a team that is built to win now and needs a big will be interested. Maybe they will get a third team involved.

I think Cleveland will have to come down on their price as the trading deadline approaches. Varejao is a valuable player but not a game changer unless you have great players around him. We will see but only a team that is built to win now and needs a big will be interested. Maybe they will get a third team involved.
Why even move him? He's productive and on a fair contract. The guy should be viewed as a part of the solution, not a trade asset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom