Approaching 1000 wins... | Syracusefan.com

Approaching 1000 wins...

NorSyr66

All Conference
While preparing for the 2016-2017 Syracuse Basketball season I noted a difference in my records of the number of wins Jimmy had at the end of last season. I had him with a record of 985-342 but most online sources have him at 989-347. The difference is the 9 games that Hopkins coached last year when JB was on suspension. It was my understanding that those games did not count against JB's record but not sure where I come up with that. With number 1000 just around the corner, I want to be clear if he is starting this season with 989 or 985 wins.

NorSyr66 said:
While preparing for the 2016-2017 Syracuse Basketball season I noted a difference in my records of the number of wins Jimmy had at the end of last season. I had him with a record of 985-342 but most online sources have him at 989-347. The difference is the 9 games that Hopkins coached last year when JB was on suspension. It was my understanding that those games did not count against JB's record but not sure where I come up with that. With number 1000 just around the corner, I want to be clear if he is starting this season with 989 or 985 wins.

This has become quite a contentious question. The school obviously cannot do anything official about #1000... and many (beginning with Jay Bilas) have suggested there should be a fan-organized event to celebrate the 1000 loss-by-oppoents milestone. Opinion, however seems to be divided between 985 and 989, leaving would--be organizers unsure of what to do. (And me, for example, unsure as to what games I should potentially plan on attending). Depending on how the team plays through the Georgetown game, #1000 could come versus EMU or the games immediately following it ... or versus Miami or the games immediately following that game.

Last edited:
This has become quite a contentious question. The school obviously cannot do anything official about #1000... and many (beginning with Jay Bilas) have suggested there should be a fan-organized event to celebrate the 1000 loss milestone. Opinion, however seems to be divided between 985 and 989, leaving would--be organizers unsure of what to do. (And me, for example, unsure as to what games I should potentially plan on attending). Depending on how the team plays through the Georgetown game, #1000 could come versus EMU or the games immediately following it ... or versus Miami or the games immediately following that game.
The "1000 loss milestone"...Joyce what the heck kind of fan are you?:rolling:

The "1000 loss milestone"...Joyce what the heck kind of fan are you?:rolling:
"Losses by opponent." We've said it so many times, I assumed everyone knew the shorthand. I did however slightly edit it after you raised the question.

"Losses by opponent." We've said it so many times, I assumed everyone knew the shorthand. I did however slightly edit it after you raised the question.
Ha! I forgot we're prohibited by the NCAA from mentioning "wins". My apologies...carry on.

As to 985 or 989...who cares...let's just party all year! Especially when we get to PHX...

This is how I perceive this situation. If the 101 wins were restored, he would be at 989 since it is usually the case that during a head coach's absence due to a suspension or illness, the wins accrued during said absence are part of the head coach's record, although there is a mechanism in place where they can go to the assistant coach as well.

However, as long as those 101 wins are currently not valid, then the "1000 losses by opponents milestone" should currently be at 985.

Cheers,
Neil

Stupid question, but WHY can't the University recognize 1000 wins? What would the NCAA do if we did? It's a free country, Syracuse is a private university, and I say we do whatever the hell we want. Just because the NCAA doesn't recognize those wins doesn't mean we can't.

I say throw the biggest freaking 1000 win party we can afford and spare no expense. What would the NCAA do if we did? Punish us again? They might as well legislate our memories and make it illegal to remember those wins. It's an absurd punishment and I say we do it anyway and see what happens.

This has become quite a contentious question. The school obviously cannot do anything official about #1000... and many (beginning with Jay Bilas) have suggested there should be a fan-organized event to celebrate the 1000 loss-by-oppoents milestone. Opinion, however seems to be divided between 985 and 989, leaving would--be organizers unsure of what to do. (And me, for example, unsure as to what games I should potentially plan on attending). Depending on how the team plays through the Georgetown game, #1000 could come versus EMU or the games immediately following it ... or versus Miami or the games immediately following that game.

the 985/989 is the biggest issue IMO.

Stupid question, but WHY can't the University recognize 1000 wins? What would the NCAA do if we did? It's a free country, Syracuse is a private university, and I say we do whatever the hell we want. Just because the NCAA doesn't recognize those wins doesn't mean we can't.

I say throw the biggest freaking 1000 win party we can afford and spare no expense. What would the NCAA do if we did? Punish us again? They might as well legislate our memories and make it illegal to remember those wins. It's an absurd punishment and I say we do it anyway and see what happens.

Kentucky acknowledges error in citing Calipari’s 500th win

We are still on probation (e.g., reduced scholarships for a few more years). Makes no sense to piss off NCAA.

You have to think in the moment, just think how much fun and how gratifying it would be to thumb our noses and stick up middle fingers at the NCAA as 35,000+ gather in the Carrier Dome to celebrate JBs 1000th win. They could take a panoramic crowd shot of the new on campus record crowd all flipping the bird at the NCAA!

I realize it might be painful when they come back and whack us again, but the 1000th win party would be a lot of fun.

We are still on probation (e.g., reduced scholarships for a few more years). Makes no sense to piss off NCAA.
If they took away another scholarship or some additional punishment for celebrating 1000 victories, they would be chastised for being ridiculous. I don't think they'd have the guts honestly, it would be a PR nightmare for them for being ridiculous.

This is how I perceive this situation. If the 101 wins were restored, he would be at 989 since it is usually the case that during a head coach's absence due to a suspension or illness, the wins accrued during said absence are part of the head coach's record, although there is a mechanism in place where they can go to the assistant coach as well.

However, as long as those 101 wins are currently not valid, then the "1000 losses by opponents milestone" should currently be at 985.

Cheers,
Neil

Does Jim Boeheim or Mike Hopkins get credit for wins and losses during suspension?

"Results of those contests from which the head men's basketball coach is suspended shall not count in the head men's basketball coach's career coaching record."

If we're ignoring the NCAA directive to vacate 101 wins, should we also ignore this ruling at the same time? ;)

At some point when Hop takes over ... is his 1st win counted as #1 or #5?

Last edited:

Yeah, if we make the NCAA people angry then if we do have any violations they will give us excessively insane penalties we do not deserve. Oh wait, they already do that!

Does Jim Boeheim or Mike Hopkins get credit for wins and losses during suspension?

"Results of those contests from which the head men's basketball coach is suspended shall not count in the head men's basketball coach's career coaching record."

If we're ignoring the NCAA directive to vacate 101 wins, should we also ignore this ruling at the same time? ;)

Thanks for the link. Wasn't aware that it was specifically spelt out in the ruling. Clears up the confusion and makes my stated preference that it is 985 losses-by-opponents, which means JB needs to coach SU to 15 wins to reach the 1000 losses by opponents.

Cheers,
Neil

Agreed. They can't do anything. Forget they even exist, they aren't a factor in what we do or don't do.

Awwwwwwwwwwww. Shucks.

Well, that doesn't mean that fans can't exercise their right to express their opinion. My friend Gary is bringing a big sign to every game that counts up each win to 1000. (He is going on the 989 theory.) If the crowd wants to make a big deal of the 1000th win, I don't see what the NCAA can do. And I hope the media promotes the story, emphasizing that the outpouring of love and pride is not sanctioned by the university. Hah!

Thank you for digging this up and posting. This is how I recall the record was going to be handled during the 9 game suspension. Bit surprised at some of the posted comments to my earlier question (especially "Stupid question") when simply I was trying to determine whether we celebrate 1000 wins or losses by opponents after the 11th win this year or the 15th. With CTO's comment of it being a "contentious question" makes the situation even more puzzling.

After reading all the comments I am coming down to a bottom line of JB is now at 989 wins. I agree with OrangeXtreme's question - since we are ignoring the NCAA directive to vacate 101 wins, then we should also ignore the ruling on suspended coach's record.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

We need t-shirts, or signs, or a banner...something that says "1000 wins" and the "1" should be an elongated fat middle finger.

Simple messaging that kinda says it all.

"Oakdale 4-2-7? Get me Holy Shirt headquarters..."

upload_2016-11-5_9-50-49.jpeg

Maybe the NCAA can count to 2.

That's how many NCs JB will have after this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom