Approaching 1000 wins... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Approaching 1000 wins...

We need t-shirts, or signs, or a banner...something that says "1000 wins" and the "1" should be an elongated fat middle finger.

Simple messaging that kinda says it all.

This is fantastic. I'd take 3. Have to believe the T Shirt capitol of the free world could make something like this happen in short order.

Nobody has asked JB what he thinks of such a celebration. :noidea:

If we're ignoring the NCAA directive to vacate 101 wins, should we also ignore this ruling at the same time? ;)

Yes, that's logical. We must defy the entirety of this nonsense.

From a Mike Waters article 9/28:
  • 10-0 start: Boeheim goes for 1,000 against Eastern Michigan on Dec. 19 at home
  • 10-1 start: St. John's on Dec. 21 at home
  • 10-2 start: Cornell on Dec. 27 at home
  • 10-3 start: at Boston College on Jan. 1
  • 10-4 start: Miami on Jan. 4 at home
  • 10-5 start: Pittsburgh on Jan. 7 at home

I guess it doesnt make much sense to disagree with ncaa's ruling of the 101 wins being taken away but agree with their ruling that hop's wins don't count toward Boeheims record. Agree with both or disagree with both right? Bernie Fine coached a few games when Boeheim was sick and i believe they count towards JB record.

JB will surely have 1000 non-defeats long before the end of the season.

Yes, that's logical. We must defy the entirety of this nonsense.

From a Mike Waters article 9/28:
  • 10-0 start: Boeheim goes for 1,000 against Eastern Michigan on Dec. 19 at home
  • 10-1 start: St. John's on Dec. 21 at home
  • 10-2 start: Cornell on Dec. 27 at home
  • 10-3 start: at Boston College on Jan. 1
  • 10-4 start: Miami on Jan. 4 at home
  • 10-5 start: Pittsburgh on Jan. 7 at home

That's a pretty fortunate run of mostly home games.

Just read this, so the NCAA said the school can recognize a milestone of wins that in addition to the ones officially recognized adds up to 1000?

What the hell is that about?

The NCAA reset the clock, what business is it of theirs from that point forward?

Can someone else on twitter question his logic? Seems like most people here are saying 989.

Anyway, I'll be home for the holidays and I'm going woth 989 but it would be nice to have a concensus so we can properly celebrate together!

What do you think?

Can someone else on twitter question his logic? Seems like most people here are saying 989.

Anyway, I'll be home for the holidays and I'm going woth 989 but it would be nice to have a concensus so we can properly celebrate together!

What do you think?
Sounds like Waters has come around to the more reasonable idea that Boeheim shouldn't get credit for wins when Hopkins was the coach. That's pretty standard, I think (except for the shenanigans at Duke in 1995), and is most fair to both Boeheim, who in theory had little control over whether they won or lost, and Hopkins, who did the winning and losing. So it should stand at 985.

Sounds like Waters has come around to the more reasonable idea that Boeheim shouldn't get credit for wins when Hopkins was the coach. That's pretty standard, I think (except for the shenanigans at Duke in 1995), and is most fair to both Boeheim, who in theory had little control over whether they won or lost, and Hopkins, who did the winning and losing. So it should stand at 985.

I'm fine with 985 also. Whether he should have been or not, JB was suspended and wasn't supposed to receive credit for those 4 wins.

My friend Gary has a big sign he has carried to all the games so far that said "11" more wins to 1000. Screw (picture of screw) the NCAA! Tonight the "11" will be crossed off and he will have a "10" in its place. I wrote to Donna Ditota about it and she said Gary is wrong. However, this is the website he is using which he claims is "right."

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/jim-boeheim-1.html

Gary's a pretty stubborn guy. My concern is that our unofficial tallies need to agree so that we can celebrate on that great day he gets to 1000.

Look for the sign if you go to the Dome. It's in 309.

My concern is that our unofficial tallies need to agree so that we can celebrate on that great day he gets to 1000.
This.

I guess I'm pretty stubborn too. I'm firmly in the 989 camp. I understand the desire to be fair to Hop, but I have major issues with 985:

1. As others have pointed out, the strength of our stance against the NCAA should be logical and consistent. If we disagree with the fundamental decision, we certainly disagree with the suspension.

2. Part of the NCAA decision reads "Results of those contests from which the head men's basketball coach is suspended shall not count in the head men's basketball coach's career coaching record." I'm guessing Mike Waters is using this. Again, it is part of the decision that we are in disagreement with.

3. Furthermore, in a normal situation when a coach is absent, schools decide. The standard is that the head coach gets credit whether it's a win or loss. (I think Coach K was was the anomly and was criticized when Duke did the opposite 1995)

That's a nice article. She knows what she is talking about. Unfortunately some of the schmucks that comment on syracuse.com are real schmucks. I didn't know her son was the team manager. Good for him. I'm sure he works hard.

The problem is that it is NINE more wins to 1000! How can this difference of opinion be resolved? Obviously, SU can't be the arbiter because they can't acknowledge the problem.

The problem is that it is NINE more wins to 1000! How can this difference of opinion be resolved? Obviously, SU can't be the arbiter because they can't acknowledge the problem.

JB doesn't get credit for Hop's 4 wins.

BOOM. Resolved.

Do you trust the beat reporters at the Post-Standard who talk to JB and SU every day, or do you trust some anonymous website?

JB doesn't get credit for Hop's 4 wins.

BOOM. Resolved.

Do you trust the beat reporters at the Post-Standard who talk to JB and SU every day, or do you trust some anonymous website?
Well, I just don't know!

Is the NCAA telling us we can't count Hop's wins and losses? Or that we can? When Boeheim was out sick, didn't he get Bernie's W/L's? Is there a difference between being sick and being suspended (and I would argue it's an illegitimate suspension)?

We are saying: we are not counting Boeheim's losses as the NCAA would wish. We are rebelling! But then if they say we can't count Boeheim's wins under Hopkins, we are okay with that? Or is it SU who is saying they are not going to count Hopkin's W/L under Boeheim's name?

I wish it were BOOM resolved, but in my mind it isn't. (And now I have opened the floodgates . . .) I think there's a legit argument to be made for both cases.

Well, I just don't know!

Is the NCAA telling us we can't count Hop's wins and losses? Or that we can? When Boeheim was out sick, didn't he get Bernie's W/L's? Is there a difference between being sick and being suspended (and I would argue it's an illegitimate suspension)?

We are saying: we are not counting Boeheim's losses as the NCAA would wish. We are rebelling! But then if they say we can't count Boeheim's wins under Hopkins, we are okay with that? Or is it SU who is saying they are not going to count Hopkin's W/L under Boeheim's name?

I wish it were BOOM resolved, but in my mind it isn't. (And now I have opened the floodgates . . .) I think there's a legit argument to be made for both cases.
This is exactly the conversation I'm having on here and in my mind. I need resolution!!!

I share your logic (see my earlier posts) and that's why I think the start should be 989 which would mean we are now at 991, not 987.

Does anyone know Joanie or someone on her staff? Let's get this party organized.

This is exactly the conversation I'm having on here and in my mind. I need resolution!!!

I share your logic (see my earlier posts) and that's why I think the start should be 989 which would mean we are now at 991, not 987.

Does anyone know Joanie or someone on her staff? Let's get this party organized.
As it turns out, Joey, syracuse.com just this morning did a piece on Joanie wanting to do a county wide party and she is using the stats that subtract Boeheim's four Hopkin's wins. If we go undefeated, she said it would be after the Miami Jan. 4 game.

So, it has been cleared up, not to my preference but hey, I'm not getting ANY of my preferences this year! And I am glad that she is stepping up to organize this thing.

As it turns out, Joey, syracuse.com just this morning did a piece on Joanie wanting to do a county wide party and she is using the stats that subtract Boeheim's four Hopkin's wins. If we go undefeated, she said it would be after the Miami Jan. 4 game.

So, it has been cleared up, not to my preference but hey, I'm not getting ANY of my preferences this year! And I am glad that she is stepping up to organize this thing.
Well we are two games closer to 1000 without a solid starting point to dictate the celebration date. On the other hand we seem to be getting close to an organized celebration for the 1000th win (forget the "opponent losses" since we are ignoring the NCAA) with the comments and support from the County Executive.

I agree with Beadle & Joey - we need to resolve the number of real wins. The best tie breaker for this difference would be after which game would JB consider he has won 1000 games. Realizing this is something he will most likely never say publicly, I would guess he considers he starts the season with 985 wins. The nine game suspension completely locked him out of any contact with the team for those 9 games therefore neither the wins or losses during the suspension should go against his record. It was like Syracuse had two coaches last year with JB at 19-9 and Hopkins at 4-5 for a season record of 23-14.

With both Mike Waters & the County Executive recognizing 985 as the number to start the 2016-2017 season, I vote we all agree and plan to "party on" early next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom