Archie Miller | Syracusefan.com

Archie Miller

Cheriehoop

Moderator/ 2019-20 Iggy Winner Reg Season Rcd
After watching Archie Miller's Dayton Flyers annihilate Alabama I was wondering how long it would be before he gets a big time offer. He's done a great job there and I'm actually surprised he hasn't already gotten a P5 school offer. One thing that has to be good at Dayton is the level of support the program gets (just finished a $4M facility upgrade for b'ball). At only 36 years of age, he's had 5 NCAA wins just the past 2 seasons and has a career record of 90-47 at Dayton. They just signed an extension with him through 2022. By the way our own Allen Griffin is an assistant there.

I wonder if the lack of success of his predecessor (Brian Gregory at GT) scares people off a bit.

I'm pretty sure big schools with openings have expressed serious interest, if not actually offered him, the past few years. From what I gather he really likes it there and it would take a "can't refuse" situation for him to go - somewhat like Shaka leaving VCU

Probably waiting for the right job to open up. Either him or Marshall have to be the next one to go to a power job.

In this era of the one-and-done, the quality of the top level squads relative to the rest of the country has dropped significantly. It's way easier to stay at a top mid-major where the pressure is less, the appreciation is greater, and it's still possible to compete with the big boys. I think that it would take a top 6 (in conference) job at a P5 school to make Archie jump. I can't imagine him coming to the ACC for less than Pitt or ND.

It seems he wants to "Gonzaga-ize" Dayton and make it a basketball power.
Here's what the Dayton AD said when Archie Miller's contract extension was announced:

"The University of Dayton is committed to a national-level basketball program, and this contract extension demonstrates our belief that Archie Miller is the right leader for our program."

I get the feeling in this case it's not just university blather.
Only 37, he could be at Dayton for decades.
That could make him the next...uhh...the next uhh...the next Jim Boeheim.

I don't buy the P5 bs. Dayton has been a great job for a long time for the simple reason hoops is important to the school. They want to win. At places like Alabama meh.