Are Coleman and Roberson completely incapable of posting up? | Syracusefan.com

Are Coleman and Roberson completely incapable of posting up?

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
We never see them establish position on the low block and operate back to the basket. Is that a function of how we're trying to play offense, or is it because they're completely unable to do that?

I feel like given his size, Coleman should be able to carve out space under the basket, park his butt down for a second and at least get an entry pass now and again. Yet we never see it. Anybody know why?

Roberson yes. I think DC can. Not sure if the offense is designed that way though.

Agree with what you are seeing and saying. One reason could be that neither are really good finishers around the rim, especially when playing bigger men which we will see more often come Conference time. Our scoring seems to be geared to the perimeter, whether we like it or not.

Agree with what you are seeing and saying. One reason could be that neither are really good finishers around the rim, especially when playing bigger men which we will see more often come Conference time. Our scoring seems to be geared to the perimeter, whether we like it or not.
I guess I can't fathom how a D-I athlete doesn't have a jump hook. I mean, I'm 5'8" and fat and I've got a jump hook.

The only time we can feed the post is when said post player is an AA, apparently

Our offense is a joke

I guess I can't fathom how a D-I athlete doesn't have a jump hook. I mean, I'm 5'8" and fat and I've got a jump hook.
I fully agree. How does Coleman not have the jump hook in his repertoire. For a kid with limited athleticism and footwork, you'd think that'd be his go-to move. Maybe he does have it, but has yet to show it.

Jasoncuse said:
I fully agree. How does Coleman not have the jump hook in his repertoire. For a kid with limited athleticism and footwork, you'd think that'd be his go-to move. Maybe he does have it, but has yet to show it.

He made a jump hook a few games ago, but it has since gone into hiding.

He made a jump hook a few games ago, but it has since gone into hiding.
well, to be fair, he only plays 10 minutes a game and there are two black holes on offense right now that haven't seen a 3 PT they don't like.

Fly Rodder said:
well, to be fair, he only plays 10 minutes a game and there are two black holes on offense right now that haven't seen a 3 PT they don't like.

We don't look to make him a part of the offense, I agree.

I think this is an issue both with the offense and the way we approach offense. Posting up inside, and delivering the ball there, is not entirely about getting post-up baskets every time. Usually not, actually

You don't need Hakeem Olajuwon or Fab Melo inside to create offense from the post. Part of getting it in there is to make the defense focus inside so you can play inside/out, move around the arc when the defender's head turns, etc.

We've been so bad at getting inside position, and feeding the post (bad angles, wrong passes) etc that it must be systemic.

There are hundreds of basketball teams around the country, most with very average players, that can do this. It's GOT to be improved upon in the future.

We've been so bad at getting inside position, and feeding the post (bad angles, wrong passes) etc that it must be systemic.
Solid post overall, but wanted to highlight the above point. Getting that space is mostly a function of how hard the player wants to work to get it. I rarely see us give our big guys any incentive to put in that work. Lob it in to the big fellas!

False. You are 5-8 only in the sense that basketball heights are accurately listed.

Yeah... but the program lists you as 5-8, so...
I want to say my highschool football program listed me at 5'11'.

I mean, sure. If you're measuring me with cleats and my helmet on.

I want to say my highschool football program listed me at 5'11'.

I mean, sure. If you're measuring me with cleats and my helmet on.

Step up to be tall, sit down to be small...

upload_2015-12-14_12-35-45.jpeg

He's barely been on the court, hasn't had the chance to work on one.

Solid post overall, but wanted to highlight the above point. Getting that space is mostly a function of how hard the player wants to work to get it. I rarely see us give our big guys any incentive to put in that work. Lob it in to the big fellas!

What is interesting about this thread, and it's been in my mind since the Roberson thread was started, is that our current HC and HC in waiting is supposed to be "the guy" at developing the big man. He did an amazing job with Rak...eventually, but it seems like nothing has been done to get Coleman ready for prime time. Not sure why this is happening, but it has to be a concern with the way things are scheduled for the future of this team. And maybe this is all just a function of our "offense" and not Hop's coaching chops. Wish I knew.

What is interesting about this thread, and it's been in my mind since the Roberson thread was started, is that our current HC and HC in waiting is supposed to be "the guy" at developing the big man. He did an amazing job with Rak...eventually, but it seems like nothing has been done to get Coleman ready for prime time. Not sure why this is happening, but it has to be a concern with the way things are scheduled for the future of this team. And maybe this is all just a function of our "offense" and not Hop's coaching chops. Wish I knew.

Rak had all of the tools. I give the coaches credit for maximizing his ability by senior year, but not necessarily for his development [which was slow / stagnant for most of three years].

I don't think we can say definitively that Hop as big man coach is "good" or "bad," but the data set isn't encouragingly positive. :noidea:

FWIW Autry is Roberson's position coach, not Hopkins.

Not discounting your concern about DC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom