Are fans getting dumber? | Syracusefan.com

Are fans getting dumber?

swish7

All Conference
From multiple incidents of running into players during court storming, to this incident between TT & Texas, I have to wonder if fan enthusiasm is crossing some boundaries?

Fun to be boisterous, but continuing to throw debris on the court after the tech is ridiculous.

I know some of y'all probably did worse at the Manley Zoo, but still.

via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

From multiple incidents of running into players during court storming, to this incident between TT & Texas, I have to wonder if fan enthusiasm is crossing some boundaries?

Fun to be boisterous, but continuing to throw debris on the court after the tech is ridiculous.

How’d you embed that video? Nicely done.

Nope.

I wouldn't be surprised if kids who spent a big chunk of high school at home turn out weird

No, not even close to what's occurred in the past.

I don't know. We were pretty dumb back in the 80's. My friends and I used to sit behind the visiting bench (not SU) and were not overly friendly. Nothing physical or on court, mostly verbal like telling the guy at the end of the bench he wasn't getting in or telling the star of the team what the star of our team did with his girlfriend last night. There was a small incident with a Bowling Green player that used a powder every time he came to the bench. The powder bottle somehow ended up passed up the bleachers and we took too much joy watching him look all over for it during a timeout. Very juvenile I admit. That was also the first time I remember seeing a coach take his team out to the middle of the court during a TO so they could hear him. But the moment many of us probably have a little too much pride in is when Miami's head coach, the legendary Darrell Hedric, got tossed from a game and flipped off the student section as he left the court. He ended up getting suspended too. In a more mature hindsight it was probably never a good idea to have a student section behind an opposing team's bench.

I don't know. We were pretty dumb back in the 80's. My friends and I used to sit behind the visiting bench (not SU) and were not overly friendly. Nothing physical or on court, mostly verbal like telling the guy at the end of the bench he wasn't getting in or telling the star of the team what the star of our team did with his girlfriend last night. There was a small incident with a Bowling Green player that used a powder every time he came to the bench. The powder bottle somehow ended up passed up the bleachers and we took too much joy watching him look all over for it during a timeout. Very juvenile I admit. That was also the first time I remember seeing a coach take his team out to the middle of the court during a TO so they could hear him. But the moment many of us probably have a little too much pride in is when Miami's head coach, the legendary Darrell Hedric, got tossed from a game and flipped off the student section as he left the court. He ended up getting suspended too. In a more mature hindsight it was probably never a good idea to have a student section behind an opposing team's bench.
University of Maryland made the mistake of selling me and SU friends seats immediately behind their bench in Cole Field House. We gave Lefty Driesell holy hell during the first half, but all very clean. Before the second half started, they repositioned two security guards near our seats.
Unfortunately, the Twerps won and the next day in the Washington Post, the Twerp players said we helped motivate them to play harder. Oh well. One would think they would not need us to make them play hard.

Hedric was the only coach to beat Bobby Knight and Dean Smith on their home court. Had to Google him and found that stat to be interesting.

I finished undergrad in 2019 and I was actually thinking today how incredible it is that I made it through high school and college with minimal suspensions and zero arrests. I juuuuuust missed being in the age group that doesn't even try to hide their stupidity.

Not only is the answer “no”, but the reality is that fans are roughly 8 million times better behaved today than they’ve been at any point in the past 5 or 6 decades.

Like, 5 water bottles got thrown and we’re freaking out? I was at game 6 of the 2004 ALCS, and when ARod was called out for slapping the ball out of a Sox pitchers glove there were HUNDREDS of bottles that came flying out of the stands. They literally had to ring the field with riot police. An NYPD cop near me, who saw I was wearing Sox gear, told me to stay close to him because things were getting ugly. Yet somehow society endured.

I grew up in Foxboro and the neighborhood Dads who had season tix for the Pats would not take us kids, ever. Why? Because the old Schaefer Stadium was like watching a football game in the middle of a WWF cage match. A hundred people were arrested every Sunday for drunk-and-disorderly, assault, etc.

That stuff just doesn’t happen at that scale anymore. One fight occurs and it’s on the news. Back then you’d need a 6 hour special to recount all the horrific acts that occurred.

Speaking of horrific acts, remember years ago when Jets fans threatened women into exposing their breasts at games? Like every week?

So yeah, no, things are craaaaazy better now.

Madison Square Garden takes the bottle caps off your bottle of soda because, and I quote, “fans could throw them on the court.”