Are we doing all eggs in the basket style recruiting with Carey? | Syracusefan.com

Are we doing all eggs in the basket style recruiting with Carey?

Alsacs

Living Legend
If so why?
I really like we are using Red on him but shouldn't we have more top 100 PGs options?
We need Carey and I hope all the love we are giving him pays off.
To be clear I think JB has done a great job the past few months.
He is more engaged and looks good I just hate the all eggs in one basket strategy for PGs. We need point guards more than anything.

If so why?
I really like we are using Red on him but shouldn't we have more top 100 PGs options?
We need Carey and I hope all the love we are giving him pays off.
To be clear I think JB has done a great job the past few months.
He is more engaged and looks good I just hate the all eggs in one basket strategy for PGs. We need point guards more than anything.

Who said we have all are eggs in the Carey basket?? That's just untrue.

We have other options, as posted above. Though, I'd say we have better than a 50% chance at Carey. I have faith that he will make us all forget about Quade. Geno, HW, and Carey will quell the PG concerns.

I agree. I don't think this situation is similar to Coleman/quade at all. We clearly have a plan B and duke hasn't been in the picture for awhile. I think we are in a good spot for Carey but if we don't land him we will def go after leqcue harder n try to get him to reclassify to 18. Also think we go hard for him in 19 even if we land Carey. Than there's always Ayala who we have kept the lines of communication open with as well so I don't see why ppl are saying we have all our eggs in the Carey basket.

Ayala/Leque
But there's some truth to the OP. Ayala is a 3-star (not -IMO- at Carey's level and not as highly rated), and his interest in SU contineus to be questionable (he's down to 9 schools after many months of excruciating indecision). Lecque's a 2019 recruit (he might reclass, but he might not). So I don't think it's unfair to express concern that we have our backsides exposed (again) for a 2018 PG.

Last edited:
Did you read my post?
It said it appears. I didn't say it was true and I appreciate the first reply telling me the backups.

I did read your post. Did you read mine? What I said was it was untrue in regards to the question that you asked Do we have all our eggs in the Carey basket. No, we don't that is untrue. You asked a question and I answered it.

Also I agree with funk doc above. This question has been addressed in other threads such as the David duke thread and Jalen Carey thread and I believe but am not certain the Jahvon Quinerley thread.

But there's some truth to the OP. Ayala is a 3-star (not -IMO- at Carey's level and not as highly rated), and his interest in SU contineus to be questionable (he's down to 9 schools after many months of excruciating indecision). Lecque's a 2019 recruit (he might reclass, but he might not). So I don't think it's unfair to express concern that we have our backsides exposed (again) for a 2018 PG.

Ayala is a 4 star. Even so he's our 3rd option.

Ayala still is more of a SG to me and the least of the true PG candidates, IMO. I want to stay away from that. He's not especially quick either.

Ayala still is more of a SG to me and the least of the true PG candidates, IMO. I want to stay away from that. He's not especially quick either.
I think this is the OP's point -- It's Carey and then ... Ayala?

Ayala will probably go on and have a great college career somewhere, but I still don't see it.

Gotcha. That site has been slow to update lately. It still has Buddy as a 2 star. Lecque is our number two choice according to Francis.
Before I posted, I checked the latest on Lecque on Rivals and VC (I also listened to FP-26, which I'll check again). Anyway, according to the last post I could find (From Iommi), Lecque's reclass is not guaranteed. So, again (if true), this supports the concern expressed in the OP. I'm not suggesting we panic. But the 1egg/basket PG problem is getting old.

Maybe there is some over generalization going on because of the Quade debacle?

Maybe, with having Frank for 2 more years and HW in the fold, JB feels like he can afford to be very selective in PG offers for 2018. Maybe he wants Carey, but would be fine with waiting until till 2019 to get another PG?

Maybe there is some over generalization going on because of the Quade debacle?

Maybe, with having Frank for 2 more years and HW in the fold, JB feels like he can afford to be very selective in PG offers for 2018. Maybe he wants Carey, but would be fine with waiting until till 2019 to get another PG?
You might be right .. and don't sleep on Hughes either. However, when the dust settles, FH, Washington and Hughes are probably rotation guys -- as Francis observed. They're not stars, but they can complement stars. So I still think we need Carey -- and we'll "throw the kitchen sink at him" (quoting Jake). And my guess is the search is or will be on for a 5-star level TB replacement in case he has a big year (he's healthy) and the NBA comes a calling.

You might be right .. and don't sleep on Hughes either. However, when the dust settles, FH, Washington and Hughes are probably rotation guys -- as Francis observed. They're not stars, but they can complement stars. So I still think we need Carey -- and we'll "throw the kitchen sink at him" (quoting Jake). And my guess is the search is or will be on for a 5-star level TB replacement in case he has a big year (he's healthy) and the NBA comes a calling.

I see Hughes as the TB "replacement," should he leave for NBA. Even if he does not, I'm a little higher on Hughes being more than just a rotational guy.

I think JB really wants Carey, especially when paired with Bazely - dynamic athletes with high offensive skill sets. It fits what I hope is the new trend for JB - TB, OB, MD, Baze, Hughes, Carey. Carrigan and Lecque would also fit this trend.

With respect to eggs in one basket theme, the difference, IMO, is JB wants Carey but doesn't necessarily need him.

I see Hughes as the TB "replacement," should he leave for NBA. Even if he does not, I'm a little higher on Hughes being more than just a rotational guy.

I think JB really wants Carey, especially when paired with Bazely - dynamic athletes with high offensive skill sets. It fits what I hope is the new trend for JB - TB, OB, MD, Baze, Hughes, Carey. Carrigan and Lecque would also fit this trend.

With respect to eggs in one basket theme, the difference, IMO, is JB wants Carey but doesn't necessarily need him.
I don't necessarily disagree. Thorpe will be solid and Dolejak and Brissett are likely to be very good. There may also be some surprises from Washington (and Hughes next year). Heck, Tyler Lydon figured to be a rotation guy. So I like your optimism, but we shouldn't be complacent either. To avoid going winless against UNC, LV and Duke (even Miami's loading up), we're going to need players that can compete with the 5-star-laden ACC elite. Depth is great -- we're working on that. But at the end of the day, even with a winning record we were 9th in the ACC last year, struggled OOC and were out of the tournament. We had some injuries, guys playing out of position, etc.. But either way, we're going to need a few Bazley's - and Carey's - on the floor to have a chance to beat the top 5 ACC teams and build a tournament-quality OOC record.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily disagree. Thorpe will be solid and Dolejak and Brissett are likely to be very good. There may also be some surprises from Washington (and Hughes next year). Heck, Tyler Lydon figured to be a rotation guy. So I like your optimism, but we shouldn't be complacent either. To avoid going winless against UNC, LV and Duke (even Miami's loading up), we're going to need players that can compete with the 5-star-laden ACC elite. Depth is great -- we're working on that. But at the end of the day, even with a winning record we were 9th in the ACC last year, struggled OOC and were out of the tournament. We had some injuries, guys playing out of position, etc.. But either way, we're going to need a few Bazley's - and Carey's - on the floor to have a chance to beat the top 5 ACC teams and build a tournament-quality OOC record.

I firmly believe you can never have too much talent, especially offensive talent. We clearly do not have enough at this point.

I'll go one step further. JB can no longer recruit length for the zone as priority #1. To win in the ACC, you have to score. I think we are seeing a trend toward targeting guys with ascending offensive skill sets who also happen to have length.

I fully support valuing offensive skills over length, with 2 exceptions. You have to have a shot blocker to anchor the zone, and you have to have a highly skilled and efficient PG regardless of height.

I firmly believe you can never have too much talent, especially offensive talent. We clearly do not have enough at this point.

I'll go one step further. JB can no longer recruit length for the zone as priority #1. To win in the ACC, you have to score. I think we are seeing a trend toward targeting guys with ascending offensive skill sets who also happen to have length.

I fully support valuing offensive skills over length, with 2 exceptions. You have to have a shot blocker to anchor the zone, and you have to have a highly skilled and efficient PG regardless of height.

Good stuff here gents. Totally agree.

You're on to something, no doubt. I didn't take your point to mean that we don't need talent to be successful in the ACC. Of course we do, and I realize you weren't arguing that. I think your point is that we may be okay up top with the personnel we have -- and that's a valid viewpoint depending on how you see our kids performing. To me ... (and this is a GUESS), if TB's gone we're not where we need to be in '18 without (at least) Carey there to feed Bazely and spread the floor (and maybe another 2G depending on development of the other guys). I look at Duke (OMG), UNC, LV and Miami -- every one of those teams has some 5 star guys -- or multiple NBA level players. So we have our work cut out, no doubt. And I think you're correct in observing that it's no longer good enough to have someone who's long and hustles (Ogenot, e.g.) -- you have to have 4 guys (and as many good rotation guys behind them as possible) that can score and defend at an ACC level. PLUS you need an eraser on the glass.

Retreating back to this year (we were talking about '18 recruiting, above), we have 2 centers with POTENTIAL to anchor the zone. Let's see how it works out. I'm still not giving up on Chukwu (and Sidibe is supposed the real deal on D). I think TB's in for a big year -- and if TT takes a big leap defensively, AND if one of our forwards (Brissett/Dolezaj) explodes /AND if we get VERY GOOD play out of Thorpe and the other forward -- we could be good. But more talent, especially scoring talent, is a necessity down the road.

Need to keep scoring the basketball for sure. Last year was a bit of a surprise in terms of how good the shooting was (FTs too), albeit much of it was launching off of one pass and/or White bailouts with the shot clock running down. I don't think it can be overstated how many tough and contested shots White made. I don't think I've seen anything like it! I'm very curious how the pieces will come together and what JB will come up with in terms of the identity of the offense. The defense will be better I'm sure. What I don't want to see however is a good defense but a team that can't score. We have seen that saga play out from mid-season Ennis until beginning of last season. Even last year there were plenty of games we couldn't score, especially perhaps the most important one...Miami ACCT. I personally hate seeing those games where the zone is confusing the other team as they are making dumb turnovers and just passing the ball around the perimeter. We get up like 5-10 pts at H when it should be 20 because the offense stinks. Then it is first team to 60 or 65 as we are hanging on for dear life because the other team figures it out. Like you guys have been saying; it does seem that we are getting better offensively skilled players lately and moving forward. This must be paramount!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom