Are we done with adding players for 2024-25? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Are we done with adding players for 2024-25?

He was by far the worst I saw. He cant stay in front of his guy, can't get through a screen, and is a step behind every single time.

OK, I don't want to argue with you, but I guess I have to.

Worst defender? How about Judah???

How many dozen times, hundred times, did he fail to run back on defense while he was busy arguing with a ref about not getting a foul call?

How many times did Judah "ole" a defender and give him a free pass to the basket on the drive? Another 100 times in 33 games, or whatever it was?

How many good games did Mounir Hima have? Any?
How about MacLeod? Did he have ANY good defensive games last year?

How about Chris Bell? He had maybe 3 chase-down blocks last season. How many dozens of open shots did he give up? Hundreds?

Benny Williams. Had maybe 4 or 5 good games that he played with effort ALL SEASON.

At least Starling tried to stay in front of people. You might love trashing him, as you've been doing for months.

Did you forget that this is a McDonald's AA who comes from Baldwinsville, and came home to play in front of his family? This is an Andy Rautins local kind of kid who we should be supporting.

What the heck is wrong with you guys? When did you stop being fans ???

You just love to argue with every thing I say, don't you?
Not arguing, just disagreeing. I think we agree we need more talented players. Where we need them and what kind of player is where we disagree. You seem to be more optimistic than me overall on our current roster. I thought we would be in a better spot year two under Red. I think it's been a disappointing offseason.

Not arguing, just disagreeing. I think we agree we need more talented players. Where we need them and what kind of player is where we disagree. You seem to be more optimistic than me overall on our current roster. I thought we would be in a better spot year two under Red. I think it's been a disappointing offseason.

No, you're being a jerk. There are still a couple open roster spots.

You've been saying there's no available time for anyone else, but here you are saying that we need more players. Do you see your own inconsistency there? Because I sure do.

You've been bashing on existing players not being "stars", but y'know, it's not all about "stars". We have a lot of solid foundation players for a more functional squad than last year.

Yes, we don't appear to have a Carmelo yet (who does???), but Freeman and Moore are fine talents. We didn't appear to get close to any elite transfers. But you still can build a functional team without stars.

Just look at teams like Gonzaga, Butler, UConn, Villanova. You don't have to have bags of cash to build a good team (but there is no arguing that it certainly helps ...)

No, you're being a jerk. There are still a couple open roster spots.

You've been saying there's no available time for anyone else, but here you are saying that we need more players. Do you see your own inconsistency there? Because I sure do.

You've been bashing on existing players not being "stars", but y'know, it's not all about "stars". We have a lot of solid foundation players for a more functional squad than last year.

Yes, we don't appear to have a Carmelo yet (who does???), but Freeman and Moore are fine talents. We didn't appear to get close to any elite transfers. But you still can build a functional team without stars.

Just look at teams like Gonzaga, Butler, UConn, Villanova. You don't have to have bags of cash to build a good team (but there is no arguing that it certainly helps ...)
I apologize for you thinking that. I agree we need a front court player, but based on the recruiting board it looks like you‘re going to be disappointed in that player. That’s where my response was coming from.

I like Freeman and Moore. It’s the holdovers and the point guard I am not sold on.

Why is everybody so intent on hating on our players, FFS?

Starling is a quality guard who will be better this year.
Bell is a fine shooter who has room to improve his game.

I would have loved to have Copeland back, but he was a problem.

If MacLeod is healthy, he's not a starting center, but he can block some shots.

Lampkin seems like a pretty solid player. Same with Jyare Davis and Jaquan Carlos. Good solid, mature rotation players.

Freeman might explode, or he might not.
Westry might be healthy, or he might not.

We have useful pieces in Moore and Cuffe, and we all know that we need a couple more guys to have a full squad.

Stop hating. This is going to be a more enjoyable team next year.
Its not hating, they both suck at defense, they're horrible.

JJ could get better, or he stays the same like he did between last off season.

Bell, HE DOES ZERO outside of his shot, he could improve his game and make the NBA if he knew how to play basketball. Teams know who he is now, and with our lack or shooting its not going to be a three point contest like it was most of last year.

I love Lampkin, but considering Joe Girard had one less block than him last year makes me wonder.

Carlos you're saying is a rotation player, we're not doing better than him, he's playing a ton of minutes. He should be a rotation player but he's our starting point guard with his backup never playing a college game.

Fine with Davis, excited? No

I think Freeman will be great, no idea about Westry, where he's playing, how healthy he is, what his game day shape is. But he cant shoot either, can he play the point? Who knows?

I just dont see it dude, its like we took the second third best players off random mid major teams slapped them together.

People are so excited about guys playing their real position, why? This isn't something to get excited about it should be the norm. EVERY year its the same people with the pie in the sky thoughts. Why does it bother you or anyone that i think the team is bunk, after two games you and 5 other people will tell me i was wrong and hammer me about it or JJ will hit an open three once and same thing. We're always awesome in the summer, out of the tournament by December.

Butler hasn't been in the tourney since 2018.
Nova has been bad the last 2 years.
Uconn and Gonzaga almost definately throw around NIL at a larger clip as us.

Not a good post.

How many dozen times, hundred times, did he fail to run back on defense while he was busy arguing with a ref about not getting a foul call?

How many times did Judah "ole" a defender and give him a free pass to the basket on the drive? Another 100 times in 33 games, or whatever it was?

How about Chris Bell? He had maybe 3 chase-down blocks last season. How many dozens of open shots did he give up? Hundreds?

Benny Williams. Had maybe 4 or 5 good games that he played with effort ALL SEASON.

At least Starling tried to stay in front of people. You might love trashing him, as you've been doing for months.

Did you forget that this is a McDonald's AA who comes from Baldwinsville, and came home to play in front of his family? This is an Andy Rautins local kind of kid who we should be supporting.

You're not going to get me to defend Judah or any of those guys since I essentially ripped them in a post 2 minutes ago.

I didnt say Starling doesn't try, but if i tried to be a jockey my very very very hardest, it doesn't matter because I weigh 250 lbs, I just wont be good at it. I'm not sure Bell or Starling can improve their defense, I don't think its lack of trying, they're just not good defenders.

How many games last year did you watch one or both Bell and Starling do nothing on the offensive end and stay in the game? Often, and it destroyed, we had record breaking losses last year, you think we're that much better? Its not being negative, its looking at two rosters side by side and not seeing how it adds up.

OK, hyperbole alert.

In all of Division 1 basketball last year, of the 351 teams that play (so, out of more than 3,500 players total) - only 40 guys shot 40% or better from three last year.

Forty guys. That's barely 1 percent. OK, tone it down.

Gerry McNamara only shot 35% from three.
Buddy Boeheim only shot 36% from three.
I agree totally. A 36% three point shooter (what Starling shot the second half) is more than adequate. Especially for a guy whose game is more about going to the basket than shooting threes.

I'll add that he'll be playing next to a 42% shooter in Bell most of the time.

Our shooting should be adequate, when you add in Freeman's ability.

You're not going to get me to defend Judah or any of those guys since I essentially ripped them in a post 2 minutes ago.

I didnt say Starling doesn't try, but if i tried to be a jockey my very very very hardest, it doesn't matter because I weigh 250 lbs, I just wont be good at it. I'm not sure Bell or Starling can improve their defense, I don't think its lack of trying, they're just not good defenders.

How many games last year did you watch one or both Bell and Starling do nothing on the offensive end and stay in the game? Often, and it destroyed, we had record breaking losses last year, you think we're that much better? Its not being negative, its looking at two rosters side by side and not seeing how it adds up.

Well, you said JJ was "the worst".

I listed 5 guys who were, in fact, worse, and I'm not clear if you still think he's "the worst", or was only about the 4th or 5th worst, as I said.

You seem to agree that others like Bell and Judah were worse, so you're being inconsistent.

Was JJ in fact "THE WORST" defender, as you've said several times, or were 3 or 4 other guys who were ahead of him in terms of blame?

I agree totally. A 36% three point shooter (what Starling shot the second half) is more than adequate. Especially for a guy whose game is more about going to the basket than shooting threes.

And Moore, too. And Carlos is not awful. He's a viable threat who you can't simply leave open and dare to shoot. They'll both hit enough that somebody has to guard them.

I listed 5 guys who were, in fact, worse, and I'm not clear if you still think he's "the worst", or was only about the 4th or 5th worst, as I said.

You seem to agree that others like Bell and Judah were worse, so you're being inconsistent.

Was JJ in fact "THE WORST" defender, as you've said several times, or were 3 or 4 other guys who were ahead of him in terms of blame?
Starling was the worst but Bell isn't far off.

Judah was a better defender than JJ, Judah just doesnt give an ish.

If I had to rank from last years starters.

Brown
Judah
Taylor
Bell
JJ

Our shooting guard has a game more about going to the basket. Let’s let that one mellow for a while.

Edit - I would be totally fine with this if JJ would just learn to pass to open shooters. Once he gets going downhill, the blinders are on and he’s shooting.

JJ was the worst defender. Here’s why. He tried. He gave effort, but was really, really bad at stopping anyone. Judah and Bell were terrible when they didn’t try at all, in the situations you mentioned.

Typically you need a few NBA guys to make a run. Bell has a chance, Freeman has a chance. JJ maybe, Westry maybe, Moore who knows. McCloud who knows. Lamkin, who knows. We seem to have depth and talent

There is simply no way you can judge chemistry at this point. Zero. The kids aren’t even together yet.
You expect from what we hear that it couldn't be any worse. But, we will really only know when there is some adversity.

Why is everybody so intent on hating on our players, FFS?

Starling is a quality guard who will be better this year.
Bell is a fine shooter who has room to improve his game.

I would have loved to have Copeland back, but he was a problem.

If MacLeod is healthy, he's not a starting center, but he can block some shots.

Lampkin seems like a pretty solid player. Same with Jyare Davis and Jaquan Carlos. Good solid, mature rotation players.

Freeman might explode, or he might not.
Westry might be healthy, or he might not.

We have useful pieces in Moore and Cuffe, and we all know that we need a couple more guys to have a full squad.

Stop hating. This is going to be a more enjoyable team next year.
For real. I’ll pile on. All the hate on they can’t shoot, no shooters, no scoring blah blah.

We had 4 guys on a roster out of 7 live bodies by March that we didn’t want to take any jumpers from deep at all even when not guarded. Q, Taylor, & Brown, front court ok that’s one thing. Also though Judah from 3 was not consistent enough either and every time he missed seemed like we were getting beat in transition the other way.

Next year JJ and Bell are volume shooters, Freeman has a jumper, Eddie can pass and create on his own. Lets not forget Moore who is one of the best shooters in his class.

I’m not saying there’s not question marks but Autry grinded 20 wins out last season. I think we’re a tourney team if the injury bug doesn’t creep up on us again.

At the least we won’t have that arguing with the ref stuff or that back talking to the coaches. I am worried Bell might do some jawing but he’s gonna have 70ish starts under his belt in the ACC and be an elder statesman, refs might give just him a pass.

I am worried Bell might do some jawing but he’s gonna have 70ish starts under his belt in the ACC and be an elder statesman, refs might give just him a pass.

I don’t think Bell will be an elder statesman so much as I think the new added portal players will not let any of the guys get away with that stuff. It’s one of the reasons Red selected them.

Its not hating, they both suck at defense, they're horrible.

JJ could get better, or he stays the same like he did between last off season.

Bell, HE DOES ZERO outside of his shot, he could improve his game and make the NBA if he knew how to play basketball. Teams know who he is now, and with our lack or shooting its not going to be a three point contest like it was most of last year.

I love Lampkin, but considering Joe Girard had one less block than him last year makes me wonder.

Carlos you're saying is a rotation player, we're not doing better than him, he's playing a ton of minutes. He should be a rotation player but he's our starting point guard with his backup never playing a college game.

Fine with Davis, excited? No

I think Freeman will be great, no idea about Westry, where he's playing, how healthy he is, what his game day shape is. But he cant shoot either, can he play the point? Who knows?

I just dont see it dude, its like we took the second third best players off random mid major teams slapped them together.

People are so excited about guys playing their real position, why? This isn't something to get excited about it should be the norm. EVERY year its the same people with the pie in the sky thoughts. Why does it bother you or anyone that i think the team is bunk, after two games you and 5 other people will tell me i was wrong and hammer me about it or JJ will hit an open three once and same thing. We're always awesome in the summer, out of the tournament by December.

Let me just remind you, in the summer of 2022, we lost 3 of our top 4 scorers, who accounted for 56 points and 16 rebounds a game. We brought in a bunch of freshmen, and we had a better record than the year before.

Last summer, we lost Edwards and Girard, 2 of our top 3 scorers, and our only real interior defender. We got a mixed bag of kids in the portal, the freshmen were sophomores - and we won more games again.

This time, say what you want. The guys we brought in so far are all experienced guys. They have all averaged double digits for years in college. They have played in the NCAA tournament - something none of us can say for the last few years.

We still need a forward with some bulk, and a 3rd center, in case MacLeod gets hurt again.

We only need another guard, IMO, if Westry is not healthy. Otherwise, let them play. That's how guys get better.

Last edited:
For real. I’ll pile on. All the hate on they can’t shoot, no shooters, no scoring blah blah.

We had 4 guys on a roster out of 7 live bodies by March that we didn’t want to take any jumpers from deep at all even when not guarded. Q, Taylor, & Brown, front court ok that’s one thing. Also though Judah from 3 was not consistent enough either and every time he missed seemed like we were getting beat in transition the other way.

Next year JJ and Bell are volume shooters, Freeman has a jumper, Eddie can pass and create on his own. Lets not forget Moore who is one of the best shooters in his class.

I’m not saying there’s not question marks but Autry grinded 20 wins out last season. I think we’re a tourney team if the injury bug doesn’t creep up on us again.

At the least we won’t have that arguing with the ref stuff or that back talking to the coaches. I am worried Bell might do some jawing but he’s gonna have 70ish starts under his belt in the ACC and be an elder statesman, refs might give just him a pass.
Carlos and Davis can also shoot. Cuffe is a good shooter.

JJ was the worst defender. Here’s why. He tried. He gave effort, but was really, really bad at stopping anyone. Judah and Bell were terrible when they didn’t try at all, in the situations you mentioned.

Trying is always better than not trying.

Ask Bob Knight, or John Wooden.

We had other guys WHO DID NOT TRY.

By definition, that is worse.

Not a concept worth arguing over if you don't understand this.

Carlos and Davis can also shoot. Cuffe is a good shooter.
Exactly. I didn’t even wanna mention them cuz I haven’t seen as much on them but yes agree. The floor will be spaced this year.

I think people will be shocked to see shooting %’s go up this year when there’s not 2-3 guys on the court that the defense knows aren’t going to shoot.

Exactly. I didn’t even wanna mention them cuz I haven’t seen as much on them but yes agree. The floor will be spaced this year.

I think people will be shocked to see shooting %’s go up this year when there’s not 2-3 guys on the court that the defense knows aren’t going to shoot.
Having a point guard who wants to get his teammates the ball at the right time will improve the shooting.
When guys get the ball because you ran the clock down in ISO and had no where to go. Then threw it to someone else to shoot lowers pct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom