Are we done with adding players for 2024-25? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Are we done with adding players for 2024-25?

Exactly. I didn’t even wanna mention them cuz I haven’t seen as much on them but yes agree. The floor will be spaced this year.

I think people will be shocked to see shooting %’s go up this year when there’s not 2-3 guys on the court that the defense knows aren’t going to shoot.

If only we had a stretch big (he begged for the 1,000th time, LOL).

Lampkin is a poor man's Arinze inside.
If MacLeod is healthy, he could be Jeremy McNeil.

If we had one more guy, 6-8 or 6-9, 230-240, who can step out and hit 30-35% from three, that gives us a missing piece in a game of match-ups.

We need a Sean Kerins, Bobby Lazor, (poor man's) Tyler Lydon type of guy.

Look in the MAAC, American, Big East, MAC, Atlantic 10, Colonial and Patriot Leagues.

There has to be a Taylor Coppenrath or Luke Southerland, the kid from LeMoyne, out there. We could use that piece.

Kadary & Roach want to compete for a Chip. That's not happening at Cuse, unfortunately.
But it's happening at St john's? They didn't make the tournament last year either. Both wanted $$$ I heard what Kadary was asking for. To say the least, it wasn't in our budget. Or anyone else's. Kadary was a St John's guy before the portal. The rest was a shame to help show that he wasn't tampered with by Slick Rick

Let me just remind you, in the summer of 2022, we lost 3 of our top 4 scorers, who accounted for 56 points and 16 rebounds a game. We brought in a bunch of freshmen, and we had a better record than the year before.

Last summer, we lost Edwards and Girard, 2 of our top 3 scorers, and our only real interior defender. We got a mixed bag of kids in the portal, the freshmen were sophomores - and we won more games again.

This time, say what you want. The guys we brought in so far are all experienced guys. They have all averaged double digits for years in college. They have played in the NCAA tournament - something none of us can say for the last few years.

We still need a forward with some bulk, and a 3rd center, in case MacLeod gets hurt again.

We only need another guard, IMO, if Westry is not healthy. Otherwise, let them play. That's how guys get better.
We haven't made the tournament in 3 seasons now, stop excusing this slop year after year being put on the court.

You want to keep flipping a coin every year? Its not working and it wont outside a fluke here and there.

The season is banking on a freshman and a guy who has more knee surgeries than three pointers made in 2 years.

Its pitiful.

We haven't made the tournament in 3 seasons now, stop excusing this slop year after year being put on the court.

You want to keep flipping a coin every year? Its not working and it wont outside a fluke here and there.

The season is banking on a freshman and a guy who has more knee surgeries than three pointers made in 2 years.

Its pitiful.

I think if this team adds a couple more solid players for specific roles that aren't already filled, then this team can win 24 games next year.

I think this could be our best team in the last 7 or 8 years, if we can add a missing piece or two. That feels like progress.

Remember back to when we were just a regional school, and Boeheim had to grow into being a coach. We're in those years again, trying to get back into the conversation.

If only we had a stretch big (he begged for the 1,000th time, LOL).

Lampkin is a poor man's Arinze inside.
If MacLeod is healthy, he could be Jeremy McNeil.

If we had one more guy, 6-8 or 6-9, 230-240, who can step out and hit 30-35% from three, that gives us a missing piece in a game of match-ups.

We need a Sean Kerins, Bobby Lazor, (poor man's) Tyler Lydon type of guy.

Look in the MAAC, American, Big East, MAC, Atlantic 10, Colonial and Patriot Leagues.

There has to be a Taylor Coppenrath or Luke Southerland, the kid from LeMoyne, out there. We could use that piece.
I’m with you.

I think if this team adds a couple more solid players for specific roles that aren't already filled, then this team can win 24 games next year.

I think this could be our best team in the last 7 or 8 years, if we can add a missing piece or two. That feels like progress.

Remember back to when we were just a regional school, and Boeheim had to grow into being a coach. We're in those years again, trying to get back into the conversation.
Sorry, but what makes you think that? Chemistry improvements? 4 and 5 should be better, depending on how you view Maliq leaving. The rest is a total question mark.

Obviously, I hope you are correct.

But it's happening at St john's? They didn't make the tournament last year either. Both wanted $$$ I heard what Kadary was asking for. To say the least, it wasn't in our budget. Or anyone else's. Kadary was a St John's guy before the portal. The rest was a shame to help show that he wasn't tampered with by Slick Rick
I’ll say this. If the Knicks can do what they’re doing with the roster they have anything’s possible. Brunson and all these Nova guys just killing it.

and kadary is old news. Only time we’ll hear his name next year is when Slick Rick has another meltdown and calls his guys out mid year when he sees them landing on the wrong side of the bubble again. Kadary will be laughing on his way to the bank and dreaming about getting into the league

JJ was the worst defender. Here’s why. He tried. He gave effort, but was really, really bad at stopping anyone. Judah and Bell were terrible when they didn’t try at all, in the situations you mentioned.
Do you know you think this? Because JJ often had to pick which guy he thought he had to guard because others weren't guarding. Whether it is because Judah was whining or Bell was standing around, someone had to pick up the two to three guys that were wide open. So you complain he was beat instead of seeing what was really going on.

Not sure how you have the strength to respond. You can't get anyone to grow brain cells, no matter how hard you try.

Do you know you think this? Because JJ often had to pick which guy he thought he had to guard because others weren't guarding. Whether it is because Judah was whining or Bell was standing around, someone had to pick up the two to three guys that were wide open. So you complain he was beat instead of seeing what was really going on.
He was equally awful at Notre Dame.

His reaction is late anytime the person he guards move. Pick any game and just watch him. I didn't realize how awful it was until i really kept an eye on him. Its like his shoes weigh 5 lbs extra each.

He was equally awful at Notre Dame.

His reaction is late anytime the person he guards move. Pick any game and just watch him. I didn't realize how awful it was until i really kept an eye on him. Its like his shoes weigh 5 lbs extra each.
braindead GIF

Sorry, but what makes you think that? Chemistry improvements? 4 and 5 should be better, depending on how you view Maliq leaving. The rest is a total question mark.

Obviously, I hope you are correct.

OK, challenge accepted.

This is why I think we are only a couple pieces away from 24 wins this season.

Let's look at 3 position groups, because that's really what's more important than who starts.

Nobody plays for 40 minutes, and frankly unless they are so much better than everyone else, most players should top out at 32 minutes a game - that's taking off just one TV timeout stretch per half. That's not unreasonable.

CENTERS:
Last year, Hima was hurt from the outset, Patterson never played, Carey played a handful of times (in single digits, I believe), and MacLeod seemed slow footed, couldn't cover good centers one-on-one, and was injured by Christmas. Edwards was not replaced, and so Maliq Brown was our de facto center for the last 2/3 of the season. Big hearted, quick hands, but undersized and wore down over time.

This year, Eddie Lampkin starts. He has started for 3 years at Colorado, and played 21-27 minutes a game. He averaged 5-7 rebounds each year, and his scoring went from around 6 points a game to 10 points a game last year. He peaked at the end of the year, and played well in the NCAA tournament. He's a bull of a man. He's like Chevy Troutman from the old Pitt teams. He's a good passer, too, although he sometimes gets a little careless with the ball, kind of like Copeland used to do last year. I think we can pencil this guy in for 25-28 minutes a game. He'll probably give us 10-12 points and around 8 rebounds a game, along with 2 or 3 assists, and probably 2 or 3 turnovers. He is not a shot blocker. He's a space eater inside. A poor man's Arinze Onuaku. A below the rim guy who has good footwork down low and has the patience and footwork to get his shot inside.

Then, let's just say MacLeod is healthy, which would be great. He's not quick enough on his feet to be a primary defender against great post players. I think we all agree on that. But he's 7-4 and bulky. He could potentially be a more physical (if less cerebral) version of Baye Moussa Keita back there, or worst case, a shot blocking menace like Jeremy McNeil. And like McNeil or Keita, we are not looking to MacLeod for offense with Lampkin on the team. He is our low post offense.

Right now, we do not have a third body, in case MacLeod hurts his foot again. This has to be fixed, or this one thing could sink our season. Keeping it real here.

FORWARDS:
Last year, we entered the season hoping for a "pop" from Benny Williams, who should have been surrounded at F by Maliq Brown, Chris Bell, Quadir Copeland and Justin Taylor. And boy, it just didn't work out, did it? But at least you can say that Red gave everybody a fair chance to play. No arguing with that. He gave these guys every opportunity to play like a team, and they just weren't able to.

This year, are we "worse" talent-wise, as many have said or suggested? On paper, Donnie Freeman is an upgrade over Benny Williams, who never lived up to his potential. Chris Bell returns, and showed signs late in the year of becoming a more well-rounded player. That alone could improve our defense by 5 points a game next season, if he just takes guarding his guy more seriously.

At forward we have our transfer Jyare Davis from powerhouse school the Delaware Blue Hens. But 3 years of experience, 2 of which he started and averaged mid-teens per game to go along with 6 or 7 rebounds in a little over 30 minutes. Another good passer, with around 2.5 assists per game for the last 2 years. Let's say he plays 20 minutes a game. He's probably good for almost 10 points and about 5 rebounds as a part-timer. That's very solid depth. Everyone is contributing, not just the starters. This prevents slumps, when scoring is distributed among the team. Not EVERYONE is going to be bad on the same night; that's the thinking.

But that's it. That can't be. They MUST add one more guy here, or this is another potential roster disaster, just waiting to happen.

If we add another guy, it can be just one guy for both spots (PF/C) if he is a guy who can hit a 3, space the floor, and force opposing big men away from the rim.

Then this could be a very good unit. Needs more depth, too thin right now, but several very good pieces that fit together well. Looks like an improved unit right now over last year, which was kind of a disaster when you look at the pieces we had.

GUARDS:
Last year, Judah and the rest, literally. He took most of the shots, played me-first basketball for most of the year, except for one stretch of a handful of games in January where he dished out some very good assist numbers. Rest of the time, though, he just didn't make winning plays. He has talent, but he's not a winner. He's a "me" guy, not a "we" guy. Buh-bye. Addition by subtraction.

Copeland - firecracker, big loss; maybe big gain?

Cuffe was not dynamic, but was dependable with the ball, made few turnovers and can get out on the break. Plays pretty good defense, too. If he is on the floor, he will likely have worked off the rust, and show us what he has. I expect improvement.

JJ last year started the year poorly, as he and Judah got to know each other. After a month, he grew into a dynamic sidekick. Maybe a bit too similar to Judah, but he was the best "2nd guard" we've had in quite some time. His numbers last year compare to freshman Tyus Battle. I think he's going to have a good year. Better than last year, because it's going to be his team.

This year, we add Jaquan Carlos, Elijah ("Choppa") Moore and Chance Westry to returnees Starling and Cuffe.

Jaquan Carlos is an actual, honest to goodness point guard. He averaged over 6 assists a game last year for Hofstra, and nearly 5 the year before. He has 3 years experience, 2 as a starter. He is a double digit scorer, he's a viable threat from 3 (has to be guarded, but not great 32-34%). He's very good from the foul line, which means this guy can help close games for us. He can also handle the press, as evidenced by his 2.5 to 1 Asst/TO ratio over the last two years. Quick, but not tiny; not a defensive liability. Let's say he plays 20 minutes a game. I think he'll give us about 6 points and 4 assists in half a game, and he'll probably help close games at the foul line.

Moore was an outstanding 3 point shooter as a senior, and really came on late in the season. Moore has good size at 6-4 and ought to be able to get off his shot, especially since he's not a first or second option on offense. He's like the 4th guy to game plan for, so he should get some open looks and do pretty well, if we don't have to ask him to do too much.

And then we have the Mysterious Mr. Westry. His tape from college was good. He was a physical specimen in the lane, had some nifty passes, and seemed like a less spastic Quadir Copeland. If he has regained his health, and can approach what he showed in college already, we won't miss Copeland. We will have a better version of what he offered.

Add up the potential positives, and this could be a very good team. I still think we need a couple front court players, and maybe another shooting guard, but if Westry is healthy, I think we have enough overall shooters (Bell, JJ, Freeman, Moore, Carlos), but you can always use more.

We have 3 open spots. I could see a big man back-up, a stretch 4 and a shooting guard. More shooters. We have lots of slashers. We have a real PG, a couple very solid combo guards. We have a coach who has shown he will share ball handling duties among multiple players, if only to keep defenses off balance at the point of attack. We have real low post scorers again (Lampkin and Davis, actually).

The team has a lot of pieces, but is thin up front.
With a couple more guys, this is a 4th place ACC team, wins 24 games or so.
That's how I see it.
Not done yet, but pretty close, and the pieces fit better this year.

Last edited:
An extra $150k wasn't in our budget? Seems within striking distance.

I think this mindset fits a different era. Progress implies rebuilds that take years. This era is about starting from scratch every April and posting bids on Ebay. We need portal pounders and NIL dogs first and foremost. High school recruits are going to make a small impact compared to seasoned men from the portal. I could do away with high school recruiting altogether because guess what? Let's say a guy like Freeman has a good year, averages 10 and 7, he's going to have to make a decision to test the NBA and shop for a bigger bag. I'd rather get Freeman from the portal, a year older, stronger, and wiser. Red and Straughn are allegedly good high school recruiters but that's not where the game is at anymore.

Not by me. Bell is a great shooter. I think he’s poor at other things. However, we do need another Bell like shooter.

Do we? Really?

Because we've got JJ, who shot 36% from 3 in ACC play last year.

Choppa can back him up, and is also a weapon from 3, and pretty much anywhere on the floor.

Cuffe showed some promise, and seems like he could be a nice piece.

Donnie Freeman can hit from 3 also.
Now, we don't want him camping out on the line like Donte 2.0, but he can shoot and hit from there.

Apparently the new PG can shoot north of 30% from 3, so he's better than Judah in that regard.
(and also in passing, and not being a ME first player, and also not sucking on D)

You don't need 4 or 5 dudes on the floor at the same time who can hit from 3.
But you definitely need more than 1-2, and it seems we should have that.

Not by me. Bell is a great shooter. I think he’s poor at other things. However, we do need another Bell like shooter.
One thing I would point out... Bell was second in 3pt percentage in the ACC last season, he was fourth in made 3s.

So, all we need is another elite shooter? Someone pointed out that about 1% of all players in college basketball shot at least 40% last season. People have to realize that Bell is elite at the most important talent in basketball. Where do you suppose we'll just "get another?"

Bell is better than 99th percentile when you factor in strength of competition.

When my IQ test came back and I was 99th percentile, my mom said that was elite, but she was biased, I guess.

One thing I would point out... Bell was second in 3pt percentage in the ACC last season, he was fourth in made 3s.

So, all we need is another elite shooter? Someone pointed out that about 1% of all players in college basketball shot at least 40% last season. People have to realize that Bell is elite at the most important talent in basketball. Where do you suppose we'll just "get another?"

When my IQ test came back and I was 99th percentile, my mom said that was elite, but she was biased, I guess.

He made 40% of our 3's last year. I'm not asking for another guy necessarily at 40%, but other guys who can shoot 37 with decent volume.

Mensa man speaketh the truth.

Bell is spotty as a Dalmatian dog with measles . he's either 0-7 or 7-7. as a starter he hit 1 or less trey in 13 games.
we need a more consistent deep threat.

Last edited:
He mad 40% of our 3's last year. I'm not asking for another guy necessarily at 40%, but other guys who can shoot 37 with decent volume.
Fair enough... I was excited about Leffew largely because he's the guy that could continue to spread defenses. But, Bell, Starling, Cuffe, Moore and Freeman will hit enough to punish opponents if they double team inside. Even Davis and Carlos are threats that have to be guarded. Westry might be better than his small sample two years ago would indicate. I think we'll have enough shooting.

I think we've got our starters and probably our eventual rotation. We might add a "break glass in emergency" guy at center and point guard but this is it. It will be about how these player's skill sets and personalities fit together and how healthy they remain.

We've two very different potential points guards and centers and it will be interesting to see how and wen Red decides to use them. Westery looks like a Quadir clone in his highlights and Carlos is a shorter guy with a sweet pull-up shot who looks to get the ball to teammates. Lampkin is our answer to RJ Burns but not much of a defensive center. McLeod is a skyscraper who can protect the rim but doesn't have much of an offensive game. Startling and Moore will make fine shooting guards and Bell is a major weapon at small forward. Hopefully Freeman will be everything Benny wasn't and ready to go from the opening tip. I love Davis' game: back-to-the-basket moves, a deadly pull-up, step back jumper and an occasional three and a good passer/rebounder. I like having multiple outside shooters, inside scorers and guys who can pass the ball.

It sounds good in May, should look good in October and hopefully we will be curious, not nervous, depressed or apathic on selection Sunday

Fair enough... I was excited about Leffew largely because he's the guy that could continue to spread defenses. But, Bell, Starling, Cuffe, Moore and Freeman will hit enough to punish opponents if they double team inside. Even Davis and Carlos are threats that have to be guarded. Westry might be better than his small sample two years ago would indicate. I think we'll have enough shooting.
Freeman will be an upgrade over Taylor there obviously. I hope Moore pushes JJ for time. I know everyone talks about JJ shooting well in ACC play, but that was all in one hot streak in January. He ended the season shooting 15-49 over the last 10 games which more or less was in line with what he did at Notre Dame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom