Are we expecting any more outgoing portal announcements at this point? | Syracusefan.com

Are we expecting any more outgoing portal announcements at this point?

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
I don't want to jinx anything but I think the last day to enter the portal was May 1. We're getting a little ways out from that and it seemed like post spring game we didn't see a ton of portal action.

Do we expect more guys have gone in and it's just not public knowledge yet? Or do we have a squad for the most part?

I don't want to jinx anything but I think the last day to enter the portal was May 1. We're getting a little ways out from that and it seemed like post spring game we didn't see a ton of portal action.

Do we expect more guys have gone in and it's just not public knowledge yet? Or do we have a squad for the most part?
The seas are no longer parted.

I think the roster is pretty locked in.

The seas are no longer parted.

I think the roster is pretty locked in.

We still have one scholarship spot open. I guess depending on what's going on with Donovan Brown, we could have two.

Could always convert a PWO I suppose.

We still have one scholarship spot open. I guess depending on what's going on with Donovan Brown, we could have two.

Could always convert a PWO I suppose.
I believe they are going to add at least one more scholarship player through the portal. Other than Brown or a medical DQ everyone seems to be onboard for 2024. I wonder how long Brown has to get back in good graces? End of the semester or after summer session.
There are definitely enough people with access to the portal that it would be public by now if anyone entered on the last day.

There is one additional scenario under the new head coach provision where Fran can free up scholarships and the player opts to stay at SU (i.e. does not enter the portal) but is no longer a member of the football team. In this case, the player does not count against the 85 scholarship limit. That player would still receive a "scholarship" until he graduates.

To be crystal clear, I have no idea if this scenario has or will happen. But there would be no public announcement unless the player discloses his situation.

There is one additional scenario under the new head coach provision where Fran can free up scholarships and the player opts to stay at SU (i.e. does not enter the portal) but is no longer a member of the football team. In this case, the player does not count against the 85 scholarship limit. That player would still receive a "scholarship" until he graduates.

To be crystal clear, I have no idea if this scenario has or will happen. But there would be no public announcement unless the player discloses his situation.
Yeah, that possibility is lurking. Was there anyone still on the roster that didn't play in the spring game? Would think those are the candidates.

Grad transfers can enter the portal at any time so it's possible we could see a grad transfer or 2 after graduation.

We have approximately 30 kids who are R-Jr or higher that could potentially have their degrees so there are some possibilities there.

Last edited:
Grad transfers can enter the portal at any time so it's possible we could see a grad transfer or 2 after graduation.

We have approximately 30 kids who are R-Jr or higher that could potentially have their degrees so there are some possibilities there.
NO. That got changed. Grad transfers had to be in the portal by 5/1.

Is there really no Summer window? That seems more restrictive. I thought the ruling took away restrictions. Also I don’t see how they can limit a Grad transfer.

Is there really no Summer window? That seems more restrictive. I thought the ruling took away restrictions. Also I don’t see how they can limit a Grad transfer.
Everyone has to enter the portal in the time frame set in order to transfer. No exceptions. The only restrictions removed were having to sit a year and how many times you could transfer.

Everyone has to enter the portal in the time frame set in order to transfer. No exceptions. The only restrictions removed were having to sit a year and how many times you could transfer.
I get that. My point was how can they have only a Spring and Fall portal window?

The whole ruling was based off of regular students being able to transfer at will. That is how this all started. Not having a Sumner window goes against the ruling.

Nothing stopping a kid from transferring at will. But there are rules as to when you can transfer and still be able to play. Much like a reg student. Feel free to leave school in Oct. Doesnt mean you can just jump into any other school and start classes.

Some structure is needed.

Nothing stopping a kid from transferring at will. But there are rules as to when you can transfer and still be able to play. Much like a reg student. Feel free to leave school in Oct. Doesnt mean you can just jump into any other school and start classes.

Some structure is needed.
I agree some is needed. After each semester you should be able to leave and play. That should include the Summer semester.

Teams can still add portal players. Freshman come in and take spots on the 2 deep. There will be plenty of kids mid August wanting out. This rule actually hurts our chances of getting these kids.