Are we too rough? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Are we too rough?

I think it all comes down to the refs calling the fouls and not swallowing their whistle...If the game is too physical the refs need to call the fouls. It has nothing to do with the players, the refs need to do something.

But we are not what I consider a rough team, we are a team that runs a very very well executed 2-3 zone...I've been reading a lot of on how a zone defense is bad for the game and that if we cant guard the ball handler we aren't good team, which is BULL . Check out the thread on UNC s*out site. It's not our fault if you can't run a zone offense against us...
To me, the response is is the zone the cause or is it an effect of deteriorated offensive skill is in players? To me, it's an effect. Jb was smart enough to see it before others. A defense that keeps hands off, allows jumpshots, requires ball movement is bad? No, tackle football in NCAA bb is bad.

It's not illegal or dirty. It's up to the refs to decide. And, IMO, that is good coaching.
Well, it's illegal at the point where the ref calls the foul. I do think it's a dirty strategy, and not good coaching.

Good coaching would mean teaching and executing on proper defensive technique. Teaching your players to push physically and push boundaries to gain a physical advantage and leaving it to the refs to stop you is kinda lazy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

if there is a physical component of our d it is when we go for a shot block but that typically is a 50/50 call and a bang-bang play. marquette was being physical on offense and we matched it to prevent them getting position. Rewatching big east games we typically only get more physical when the other team is.

one thing though is that much like the nba we challenge everything at the rim and therefore it seems as though we are a physical vs finesse team.

Well, it's illegal at the point where the ref calls the foul. I do think it's a dirty strategy, and not good coaching.

Good coaching would mean teaching and executing on proper defensive technique. Teaching your players to push physically and push boundaries to gain a physical advantage and leaving it to the refs to stop you is kinda lazy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Just a matter of perspective and a difference of opinion.

Pitino is widely acknowledged as the one of the best on ball defensive coaches to ever have coached the game. He has published books and DVDs on his techniques and philosophies on D. I have seen these materials and been to his coaching clinics. His stuff is intricate, complex, and highly demanding on players. It is the antithesis of playing "lazy."

He teaches his players to play as hard and physical as possible, and part of that process is to determine where the subjective line is drawn for calling fouls in any given game. If you believe that all "fouls" are clear cut rules infractions and that all refs will call that the same way, then some of the limit testing is dirty.

Until the rules are changed, I see it as good coaching.

Dick Vitale, after watching the Syracuse-Marquette and Wichita State- Ohio State games, declared that he was tired of all the ugly games and that there's too much physical play allowed in today's college basketball.

I think most of us agree with that. But are we contributing to this? Does a low score necessarily mean that the defense was too physical? I may be looking at it though Orange colored glasses but I thought we were playing excellent old school defense: move your feet, move your arms...play the passing lanes, block shots, get after the rebounds and loose balls.

Were we hand-checking, grabbing shirts, pushing and shoving our way to the Final Four? I didn't see that.
tell dukie v. go duck himself i guess he rather see players flop like puke

They have to limit hand checking and riding the ball handler (see Louisville). But the really physical play is happening off the ball...knocking cutters off, bodying up to prevent position and limit motion through the lane, that kind of stuff.
Particularly the hand checking with the inside hand which prevents the dribbler from turning the corner. It's obviously a move that many coaches now teach and it's ruining the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom