Are we using all 11 scholarships this year? | Syracusefan.com

Are we using all 11 scholarships this year?

Alsacs

Living Legend
Hughes is transferring so we are down to 10.

Battle
Howard
Moyer
Dolezaj
Sidibe
Chukwu
Washington
Brissett
Thorpe

I count 9 and only 8 playing now. We have an open scholarship.

Good news is we have 2 commits next year and with Battle likely gone will have a full roster next year.

I really hope we can start not having years we don’t use all the available scholarships or give them to walkons.

Battle
Howard
Moyer
Dolezaj
Sidibe
Chukwu
Washington
Brissett
Thorpe

Good news is we have 2 commits next year and with Battle likely gone will have a full roster next year.

I really hope we can start not having years we don’t use all the available scholarships or give them to walkons.

Hughes is 10 and Thompson was 11.

I agree battle will prob test the waters... But I looked at some mock drafts recently and his name wasn't there... Found that interesting

I think it's smart to leave a scholarship or two open, especially when there is a shortage of seniors on the squad.

I agree battle will prob test the waters... But I looked at some mock drafts recently and his name wasn't there... Found that interesting
noticed that as well. He isn't showing up now. but I expect a big season from him numbers wise and that will get him in the mix.

Battle was rated 78th today. If he makes the lottery this year, it would be because he blew up (like 20+ ppg). Gaining 60 spots probably means the team does that much better as well. I'm okay with that.

Battle is top 20 by seasons end. If Luke Keanard can be top five and earn it last year

battle can be top 20

Battle needs to prove it first. As far as the scholarship goes the only
Thing that bothers me is we didn’t go out and get a player for this year immediatly after Thompson left. If you don’t fill the scholarship what good does it do?

Thing that bothers me is we didn’t go out and get a player for this year immediatly after Thompson left. If you don’t fill the scholarship what good does it do?

Thompson officially left right when the school year started. Who was available? Everyone knows where they’re going to college by that point.

Battle
Howard
Moyer
Dolezaj
Sidibe
Chukwu
Washington
Brissett
Thorpe

Alsacs, I'm sure you just phrased this weird -- but what do you mean by "Hughes is transferring?"

Battle was rated 78th today. If he makes the lottery this year, it would be because he blew up (like 20+ ppg). Gaining 60 spots probably means the team does that much better as well. I'm okay with that.
I love him as much as anybody here, but I see two problems for him in nba terms. First, his three point shooting form looks a little funky. Can he still make them at 23 feet ? Second, I think he lacks next level explosion.

That being said, I think he averaged 18+ for us and will get drafted in second round of he leaves.

Thompson officially left right when the school year started. Who was available? Everyone knows where they’re going to college by that point.

Exactly - that was a big part of the whole outrage in addition to the whole tampering issue. He left our hands tied!

Last edited:
Battle is top 20 by seasons end. If Luke Keanard can be top five and earn it last year

battle can be top 20

Kennard was borderline unguardable at times last year and was for the most part a dead eye shooter. He has sneaky athleticism too and tested pretty well. Battle has to show he can come close to Kennard’s overall production to merit such a high pick. Remains to be seen.

Battle is gone. Just as Lydon was gone before we played a game last year.

I love him as much as anybody here, but I see two problems for him in nba terms. First, his three point shooting form looks a little funky. Can he still make them at 23 feet ? Second, I think he lacks next level explosion.

That being said, I think he averaged 18+ for us and will get drafted in second round of he leaves.

A sophomore guard, with good size and athleticism, who averages 18 for a power program has to be a surefire 1st rounder, no?

I know it's not a perfect comparison because he was a frosh, but Malachi wasn't on any mock draft boards for probably half of the season before going pro. And he didn't have stellar stats that year, even for a frosh. I think Battle could make the lotto without needing to go full ham. He has to put up a great season, but I don't think it would have to be earth shattering (20+ points).

Last edited by a moderator:

Teams don't fill all scholarships every year (obviously not counting schollies handed to walk-ons). The reason to keep some open, especially when you don't expect a lot of departures, is to ensure you have spots available for high level recruits the following year.

Say you'd have to bring in a 5 player recruiting class to max out your scholarships and you only anticipate 2 players leaving after the class comes in. That leaves you two spots available for next year's recruiting class. Not bad, but think about the likely caliber of the worst player in the class of 5 you just brought in. Probably a low level 4 or even a 3 star, right? Likely going to redshirt or just not play much/at all. Take back his scholarship and give yourself 3 for the next season instead of 2. Is the 3rd best player in next year's class a higher caliber player than the player you passed on? I'd say he probably is. Of course, you have the experience argument at that point, but I'd rather have the more talented player over the more experienced player when we're only talking about a 1 year difference.

Now, our situation is a little bit unique. I've lost track of the scholarship numbers we'll have going forward. If I'm not mistaken, 13 is the max and the sanctions have us down to 11 right now. If we're going to be back up to 13, or even 12, for next season, then filling the last spot wouldn't have been a bad idea (if TT didn't screw us so badly with his timing). If we're still going to be at 11 next season, then voluntarily leaving a scholarship available when there is only one guaranteed departure (Thorpe) isn't the worst idea.

Hope a walk-on gets awarded the scholarship, even if only for the 2nd semester.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom