Are women's college hoops going thru their UCLA of the 60s/70s? Will sport get more parity? | Syracusefan.com

Are women's college hoops going thru their UCLA of the 60s/70s? Will sport get more parity?

Alsacs

Living Legend
UCLA dominated from 1964 to 1975.
Winning 10 championships in 12 years.
They had a 88 game win streak. In their 3 undefeated seasons as well.

Today in women's hoops UConn has won 11 championships since 1995.
4 in.a row. They have 4 undefeated seasons pending this one.

Is the sport going to catch up? They have only a handful of games that have been decided by single figures. The gap between 1 and 25 is huge.

I hope for the sport the parity gets better. I got no problem with a dominant program. It's just the sport is non competitive for the top team.

The Patriots, Spurs, Yankees all dominate but never to this degree.

I used to enjoy watching at least the tournament for women's basketball but UConn's dominance has reduced my interest to almost none. Even last year when we were in the championship game, it wasn't as fun as it should have been because I knew there was realistically no chance.

Is the sport going to catch up? They have only a handful of games that have been decided by single figures. The gap between 1 and 25 is huge.

I hope for the sport the parity gets better. I got no problem with a dominant program. It's just the sport is non competitive for the top team.

The gap betwwen 1 and 2-25 is huge.

I would think it will change soon. If you check women's recruiting it's not like they are gettin all of the top 10 players.

I used to enjoy watching at least the tournament for women's basketball but UConn's dominance has reduced my interest to almost none. Even last year when we were in the championship game, it wasn't as fun as it should have been because I knew there was realistically no chance.

Yep, I know I should pay more attention to the SU ladies teams the last couple of seasons but you know the better they are the more likely it is that the end of the season is a trouncing at UConn's hands. I look at those UConn teams and they are usually starting 3 of the best players in the country and have the next batch coming off the bench. Every player is basically an all conference type performer somewhere else.

Last edited:
I mean, the ladies beat a number one seed in the sweet sixteen last year. So a top four team. Three games later, UConn smokes them by 30.

I would think it will change soon. If you check women's recruiting it's not like they are gettin all of the top 10 players.
Actually they are. Auriema explained this last year. He said the problem is with coaching at the H.S./club level. That results in their only being 20 or so really top players every year. UCONN gets 10 and the rest are scattered around. No change at the H.S. level, no change who is #1.

Upsets happen in the women's game. They have had plenty of 12 over 5 seeds the last few years.

The problem is the season is pointless. UConn is just miles better than everyone else.

Could the non-UConn first team all-American team beat UConn?

Upsets happen in the women's game. They have had plenty of 12 over 5 seeds the last few years.

The problem is the season is pointless. UConn is just miles better than everyone else.

Could the non-UConn first team all-American team beat UConn?

So a 12 beats a 5. :noidea: Everyone loses to UConn by 20-30+ points (or even 50 -60 points!). Even the games that fall in the 20 point range haven't been close games, rather it's UConn coasting.

It's not fun or even interesting to watch and I think it is hurting the popularity of the women's game. To answer your question, No, imo. UConn would beat an all-star team of all of the other players in D1.

Those who follow the women's game thought this was the year to get UConn. HaHa.

Next year, they have a potentially dominating 6-6 center coming in. This year, they had a 5-11 player at center.

That's why I consider the SU women's team 2016 defacto National Champs. They beat everyone but the professional team masquerading as a college team. ;)