Arkansas vs. Syracuse 1995 (NCAA 2nd Round) | Syracusefan.com

Arkansas vs. Syracuse 1995 (NCAA 2nd Round)

I was in Arkansas at the time and thought to myself, wow I am in the right area to see the SU/Ark game but no, they had the Missouri/UCLA game on instead.

*sigh*

I was director (meaning: conductor) of the Sour Sitrus Society that year so I literally had a front row seat in Austin. I always say that the most rabid SU crowd I ever saw was the Texas fans rooting against Arkansas that day. They HATED Arkansas (this was post-SWC breakup and Arkansas jumping to the SEC).

The "let's go Orange" chants were thunderous. And at one point some Longhorn fan came down to me begging that we play 'The Eyes of Texas' and that if we did the place would explode. I of course mentioned that no one in the band had any idea how to play that song, and his response cracks me up to this day: "It's just 'I've Been Working on the Railroad', dude!".

Anyway, that timeout sucked gigantic moose balls.

This remains my worst NCAA memory. Was too young for 1987, and 1991 was so late my parents wouldn't let me stay up for it and I only found out the next morning.

I wonder if ESPN has the rights to those clips. If so, we'll be seeing them ad nauseam during the broadcast of the 30 November game down there.

The disappointment from the Arkansas game has yet to subside, but I have to admit, it's a funny thing. Our all-time leading scorer, an absolutely beloved player who was integral in bridging the dark years after probation, just about single-handedly lost two elimination games in a ten-day span to close out his career. Strange course of events, between this one and the Providence quarterfinal game (which I wouldn't mind watching again).

Does anyone else remember an all-girl rock band called Luscious Jackson? Weren't they named after Luke Jackson's dad, also called Lucious (who was a former 76'er)?

Does anyone else remember an all-girl rock band called Luscious Jackson? Weren't they named after Luke Jackson's dad, also called Lucious (who was a former 76'er)?

Yes. Khyber Pass in Philadelphia 5/21/93. Great show in a hot, tiny crowded room. And yes, named after Luke's father.

2nd worst for me...nothing tops Smart's jumper. :mad:

absolutely. This is the #2 most painful loss ever behind Indiana (and right in front of Illinois 1989) for me.

SU should have been a 5 seed at least that year!

Hard to make a case for that - we really stumbled down the stretch losing 6 out of our last 9 regular season games, and then losing in the first round of the BET.

absolutely. This is the #2 most painful loss ever behind Indiana (and right in front of Illinois 1989) for me.
That's about right on my list.

killer loss. 16 years old at the time. thought for sure luke jackson's last shot was dead on. is that tim higgins who signalled timeout? what a douchebag running around like a maniac.

Im pretty sure Im one of the few Michigan / Syracuse fans around..syrcause fan by birth, michigan fan by alma mater...so when it comes to getting your heart broken by time outs..i think im probably a Gold member of that society.

Sat right behind Luke Jackson's family for the game ... Luke played excellent throughout that game.

What most folks forget is that Arkansas struggled mightily to beat Texas Southern in the first round. TSU's best foul shooter went to the line to win the game at the end of regulation and bricked both shots. Arkansas took care of them in OT. We were VERY close to playing TSU in that 2nd round game.

for the life of me, i will never understand why luke took the rap for that, even with some fans to this day. he didnt call the timeout.

Luke Jackson was always one of those players that you wondered why he was not an absolute star. seemed to have all the talent and athletic ability in the world...certainly was more of a prototypical nba guard than moten would ever seem to be..yet moten made it and luke didnt

Luke Jackson was always one of those players that you wondered why he was not an absolute star. seemed to have all the talent and athletic ability in the world...certainly was more of a prototypical nba guard than moten would ever seem to be..yet moten made it and luke didnt

Absolutely. He could do everything. Jackson's got to be on our All-Time Underrated Team. Wonder if he made a living overseas.

If Moten keeps his head SU's path the Final Four was #6 Memphis and #4 UVA. I still think they would have lost to the Stackhouse/Wallace UNC team in the Final Four.

If Moten keeps his head SU's path the Final Four was #6 Memphis and #4 UVA. I still think they would have lost to the Stackhouse/Wallace UNC team in the Final Four.

We probably would have gotten torched by UNC - we weren't the most defensive-minded club. But it would've been interesting. There's a reason we ran off 14 in a row and were a fringe top-five team earlier that season. We had a talented group.

Imagine - only 23-9 and in the Final Four. Would have been fun.

This game did cut me pretty deep. The Butler game is still the worst game for me. We were the best team in the country by a substantial margin in my opinion and then Arinze went down and all of sudden Jackson had to slide over and Joseph had to start and we had no backup center. With Arinze I think we win that game by 12-16 points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom