Army Game Preview (2/21/21, Noon) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Army Game Preview (2/21/21, Noon)

Going to be interesting year. The players have been under allot of duress dealing with Covid and socialization. Interesting to see how March adapts to the ACC caliber of play?? Not quite sure of this "initiate contact offense"..Don't you avoid contact , get your hands free to shoot or dish ? Speed looks like and issue as well. Last year was no measuring stick going 5-0. The ACC is loaded with depth and according to the AD its the final 4 or bust ! Don't be surprised with the schedule as tough as it is to get to through without change. Army is NO joke , mentally and physically tough. And the so called easier teams, well fasten you seatbelts. Go orange !

Welcome to the board but I am not sure I am following some or really most of your thoughts here.
"Initiate Contact Offense", can you be more specific here? I am unclear what your referencing.

I also don't know what you mean by speed maybe an issue. Are you talking defensively at close? Curry, Dearth, Dami, Aviles and others aren't hurting for speed. If your talking about Murphy and Dipetro I can kinda understand but you need to be more specific.

Wildhack has not made any mention about this season being Memorial day or bust, although several players have said anything short of a title will be in their minds.

Schedule is certainly difficult as the ACC is loaded, don't think anyone believes SU is going undefeated or anything close to it. SU will have its hands full pretty much every week save for maybe one or two games.

Huge news for SU, rules out any potential shut down (due to campus issues) for COVID barring something crazy happening.
Would appreciate a knock on wood from you, Jeremy.

Missing the Cleveland State warm up game could hurts us. The last two times SU played Army, it was SU with a game in hand, and Army playing its first game. I hope cobwebs fall off quickly.

Missing the Cleveland State warm up game could hurts us. The last two times SU played Army, it was SU with a game in hand, and Army playing its first game. I hope cobwebs fall off quickly.

Your thinking of Albany, Army has usually played 3 games prior to the SU matchup

Your thinking of Albany, Army has usually played 3 games prior to the SU matchup
You're right about last year. Nonetheless, my concern is that our first opponent has played a game and SU has not. That hasn't happened in a while.

You're right about last year. Nonetheless, my concern is that our first opponent has played a game and SU has not. That hasn't happened in a while.

Colgate played UNC last year before playing SU (the Orange’s first opponent).

Took the time with the gap in between televised games today to take a quick look at last year's game on YouTube.

Overall, a really awful first half that could have been worse without some tremendous stops by Porter. 4 penalties and some really awful TOs. The offense was impatient with low percentage/bad placement shots, and as per usual a great Army keeper performance. Was 2-1 Army after 1Q. Second quarter was worse and got to 5-1 before Curry had a nice shallow invert and dunk to make it 5-2 before half.

In the 2nd quarter they started to invert and dodge from wings. 2nd mids got a lot of time with very little productivity (1 late game Lipka goal) and I think this was the game where Quinn came down to Earth quickly after having a nice few early games.

Second half they fought back largely on the back of Trimboli who was phenomenal despite getting the Army pole the whole game. There were a few nice draw and dump plays where Curry drew a slide and found Trimboli for a nice finish.

What stood out to me in this game was the attack unit being held completely in check. Scanlan was totally absent. Cook, as we have seen many times will make some great moves to get a shot or be in the right place to bury one but for one reason or another not being able to finish. As often noted Rehfuss struggles with physical defenders and that was largely the case against Hudgins (11) who returns this year. Will be interesting to see if that is the matchup again this year with the new starters on close D for Army. Rehfuss did do some nice work when matched up against a shorty in pick switches, and also had a nice rip off the cross-bar.

Defense settled down nicely in the second half and it's clear the SSDM unit is a strength of this team.

Notable stats:
Phaup 16/19 Faceoffs
Shots SU 47 Army 32 but SOG 25-25
EMO Army was 1-4 and SU 0-1

Looking forward to tomorrow, this matchup of course concerns me given the first game rust and Army getting work against a very talented UVA team last week. As others have mentioned, they need to match that Army intensity and physicality and really push the advantages that they have. Face-offs, patient middie play to get high quality looks, and creating turnovers on the ride against a shaky Army clearing team. Need to see some productivity from the attack and I expect (hope) that will be improved. Would expect that we see some double-poling on the 1st mids up top (or from the wings or X) from the Army D.

While Nichtern is clearly dangerous (possibly even moreso as a feeder), this defensive unit should largely be able to win their individual matchups. Avoid bad penalties, communicate, don't be over-agressive on the slides, and don't ball watch with the ball in Nichtern's stick. While not overpowering, Army's offense always seems to make you pay when you make a mistake.

Excited to get this season started and get some of the lineup questions answered. Come out of the gates fast and keep the pressure on. Take care of business. LGO

Going to be interesting year. The players have been under allot of duress dealing with Covid and socialization. Interesting to see how March adapts to the ACC caliber of play?? Not quite sure of this "initiate contact offense"..Don't you avoid contact , get your hands free to shoot or dish ? Speed looks like and issue as well. Last year was no measuring stick going 5-0. The ACC is loaded with depth and according to the AD its the final 4 or bust ! Don't be surprised with the schedule as tough as it is to get to through without change. Army is NO joke , mentally and physically tough. And the so called easier teams, well fasten you seatbelts. Go orange !
Welcome to the board but I am not sure I am following some or really most of your thoughts here.
"Initiate Contact Offense", can you be more specific here? I am unclear what your referencing.

I also don't know what you mean by speed maybe an issue. Are you talking defensively at close? Curry, Dearth, Dami, Aviles and others aren't hurting for speed. If your talking about Murphy and Dipetro I can kinda understand but you need to be more specific.

Wildhack has not made any mention about this season being Memorial day or bust, although several players have said anything short of a title will be in their minds.

Schedule is certainly difficult as the ACC is loaded, don't think anyone believes SU is going undefeated or anything close to it. SU will have its hands full pretty much every week save for maybe one or two games.

Well Not sure what you didn't understand ?? Let me recap. You can't run an offense with midis trying to run through defenders initating contact ! . Only 1 offense player was ballin out. The Coaching staff Did not prepare these boys for this game and I'm tired of hearing about this COVID excuse. Everybody is dealing with this. Army was Stronger, quicker and HUNGRY ! According to ACC broadcasters they spend an abundance of time pushing steel and focus on players elite conditioning. What was that offensive game plan ?? No attack involvement, movement or deception. I'm not sure we even have the athleticism at that position that other teams will . Army didn't dazzle us with flashy stick skills. Speed as I said was a factor especially when you can't keep up defensively and match stride for stride. The 2nd line midfield should be flipped out to the 3rd and 4th liners ! You have allot of guys that probably work there ass of and won't be given any chance. Duke , Virginia ..etc.. etc..uses what they have to give the top midis a blow so they have gas in the tank for later stages of the game . As for our OC and his boy no 77, great stick but can't go around a road cone. Didn't hustle back into the plays and looked lost at this level . Whats the cliche they use.."Forecheck - Backcheck- Paycheck ! This season isn't determined by a first game but the AD needs to wake up with this program. Coaches need to bond with players thats evident in other ACC programs. We Should have never ever let the previous OC go. Theoretically they could at best go 7-5. Do the math rather than writing a novel if this isn't clear .
Gonna be a long year Syr fans..

Well Not sure what you didn't understand ?? Let me recap. You can't run an offense with midis trying to run through defenders initating contact ! . Only 1 offense player was ballin out. The Coaching staff Did not prepare these boys for this game and I'm tired of hearing about this COVID excuse. Everybody is dealing with this. Army was Stronger, quicker and HUNGRY ! According to ACC broadcasters they spend an abundance of time pushing steel and focus on players elite conditioning. What was that offensive game plan ?? No attack involvement, movement or deception. I'm not sure we even have the athleticism at that position that other teams will . Army didn't dazzle us with flashy stick skills. Speed as I said was a factor especially when you can't keep up defensively and match stride for stride. The 2nd line midfield should be flipped out to the 3rd and 4th liners ! You have allot of guys that probably work there ass of and won't be given any chance. Duke , Virginia ..etc.. etc..uses what they have to give the top midis a blow so they have gas in the tank for later stages of the game . As for our OC and his boy no 77, great stick but can't go around a road cone. Didn't hustle back into the plays and looked lost at this level . Whats the cliche they use.."Forecheck - Backcheck- Paycheck ! This season isn't determined by a first game but the AD needs to wake up with this program. Coaches need to bond with players thats evident in other ACC programs. We Should have never ever let the previous OC go. Theoretically they could at best go 7-5. Do the math rather than writing a novel if this isn't clear .
Gonna be a long year Syr fans..
Settle down, Sparky.

A. It's a long year.

B. If you're going to come in guns blazing at a poster who has been posting intricately-detailed lax posts forever here, you're not going to be around long. Have a little respect and knock off the snark.

Settle down, Sparky.

A. It's a long year.

B. If you're going to come in guns blazing at a poster who has been posting intricately-detailed lax posts forever here, you're not going to be around long. Have a little respect and knock off the snark.

I'm a bit confused his initial post was pre army but his new post made it sound like his original about the army game and our struggles before it happened. Maybe he's psychic? Either way rough start to the season for sure and there's a lot of questions on team we thought would only have a few.

I'm a bit confused his initial post was pre army but his new post made it sound like his original about the army game and our struggles before it happened. Maybe he's psychic? Either way rough start to the season for sure and there's a lot of questions on team we thought would only have a few.
He apparently has not mastered the Reply feature yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom