Army Game Preview (2/21/21, Noon) | Syracusefan.com

Army Game Preview (2/21/21, Noon)

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Well, its hard to beleive we are looking at our first Syracuse lacrosse game in almost a year, but a lot from this past year has been hard to beleive. Very excited for Sunday and very grateful for each game we get this season. This SU team has as much talent as any Orange team in the last 10 years, but they have a difficult schedule that starts out with a real test in Army, who always gives the Orange a tough game.

The key against Army is figuring out a way to stop Brendan Nichtern. This is of course easier said than done, as Nichtern is extreamly good at both scoring and passing. He is the proverbial straw that stirs the drink. He is a high volume player that dominates the ball for Army. Against UVA he had 10 shots (finishing with just two goals) but also had three assists. Very strong, very fast, there aren't a lot of holes in his game. I expect Brett Kennedy to get this matchup, as the two faced off last season in a tale of two halves. Nichtern dominated the first half scoring two goals and dishing two assists, but didn't register a point in the second half. Kennedy will have to be physical but smart, he got into foul trouble a few times last year against some of the more physical attackmen. Aiden Byrnes for Army also looks like a good player, he had 3 goals and brings good size - no other Black Knight had more than a point against UVa.

The other issue Syracuse will be facing is Wyatt Schlupper in goal - he is very athletic and does not let up easy goals. He was overshadowed by Porter last year but he finished his last outing in the Dome with 16 saves. he had 11 saves against UVA, not his best outing but UVA has some explosive shooters. I expect he'll be better against Syracuse (all Army goalies seemingly are). Also Army has a very good defender in Marcus Hudgins, who also didn't play his best game against Virginia (Matt Moore had a hat-trick). I imagine he will get the Rhefuss matchup. Hudgins was flanked by two absolute physical monsters with Jack Weigand and Kyle Beyer both checking in at 6'3 220. Seriously, they are huge. The Orange of course have a very slight attack unit, so will be interesting to see who has the upper hand. The SU attack was nowhere to be seen last year and they will have to be better this time around.

Lastly, it seems as though Army picked up where they left off last year in the face-off department, winning just 9-25 against UVA. Phaup and Varello should do well here as they went 16-19 against the Knights last year (though Army does have a different fogo, in the 6'3 James Pryor). Even more worrisome for the Knights was they did not clear well at all against the Cavs, failing on almost half of all attempts (10-19). That is really bad. Hopefully Griffin Cook and the gang can cause as many headaches for Army, but with this being Syracuse's first game of the year after a shortened preseason, they may also have some trouble clearing the ball.

Despite all the possession issues, I think if they had shot the ball better, the score against UVA could have been a lot closer for the Knights. Syracuse will have to bring their all to this game, as its not just an opponent they struggle against usually, but one who has a game under their belt and two extra weeks of practice (and a scrimmage against Bryant). So there is lots for SU to catch up on. The good news is the bring back lots of experience in a number of fifth year players that Army cannot draw on. I think SU takes this one, but I think it might be closer than it should be given that SU just hasn't had a typical start up to the season. There will be bumps along the way. The key for me is the SU attack, they just have to perform better than they did last year, when they registered double donut holes.

Sorry that went long, but gosh darn I am excited for SU lacrosse.

Well, its hard to beleive we are looking at our first Syracuse lacrosse game in almost a year, but a lot from this past year has been hard to beleive. Very excited for Sunday and very grateful for each game we get this season. This SU team has as much talent as any Orange team in the last 10 years, but they have a difficult schedule that starts out with a real test in Army, who always gives the Orange a tough game.

The key against Army is figuring out a way to stop Brendan Nichtern. This is of course easier said than done, as Nichtern is extreamly good at both scoring and passing. He is the proverbial straw that stirs the drink. He is a high volume player that dominates the ball for Army. Against UVA he had 10 shots (finishing with just two goals) but also had three assists. Very strong, very fast, there aren't a lot of holes in his game. I expect Brett Kennedy to get this matchup, as the two faced off last season in a tale of two halves. Nichtern dominated the first half scoring two goals and dishing two assists, but didn't register a point in the second half. Kennedy will have to be physical but smart, he got into foul trouble a few times last year against some of the more physical attackmen. Aiden Byrnes for Army also looks like a good player, he had 3 goals and brings good size - no other Black Knight had more than a point against UVa.

The other issue Syracuse will be facing is Wyatt Schlupper in goal - he is very athletic and does not let up easy goals. He was overshadowed by Porter last year but he finished his last outing in the Dome with 16 saves. he had 11 saves against UVA, not his best outing but UVA has some explosive shooters. I expect he'll be better against Syracuse (all Army goalies seemingly are). Also Army has a very good defender in Marcus Hudgins, who also didn't play his best game against Virginia (Matt Moore had a hat-trick). I imagine he will get the Rhefuss matchup. Hudgins was flanked by two absolute physical monsters with Jack Weigand and Kyle Beyer both checking in at 6'3 220. Seriously, they are huge. The Orange of course have a very slight attack unit, so will be interesting to see who has the upper hand. The SU attack was nowhere to be seen last year and they will have to be better this time around.

Lastly, it seems as though Army picked up where they left off last year in the face-off department, winning just 9-25 against UVA. Phaup and Varello should do well here as they went 16-19 against the Knights last year (though Army does have a different fogo, in the 6'3 James Pryor). Even more worrisome for the Knights was they did not clear well at all against the Cavs, failing on almost half of all attempts (10-19). That is really bad. Hopefully Griffin Cook and the gang can cause as many headaches for Army, but with this being Syracuse's first game of the year after a shortened preseason, they may also have some trouble clearing the ball.

Despite all the possession issues, I think if they had shot the ball better, the score against UVA could have been a lot closer for the Knights. Syracuse will have to bring their all to this game, as its not just an opponent they struggle against usually, but one who has a game under their belt and two extra weeks of practice (and a scrimmage against Bryant). So there is lots for SU to catch up on. The good news is the bring back lots of experience in a number of fifth year players that Army cannot draw on. I think SU takes this one, but I think it might be closer than it should be given that SU just hasn't had a typical start up to the season. There will be bumps along the way. The key for me is the SU attack, they just have to perform better than they did last year, when they registered double donut holes.

"gosh darn"? Lol.

Well said PF. LGO!!!

With the monster starts by the top teams in the ACC, I really hope SU lights up the scoreboard against Army. The #4 ranking makes me angry and I can imagine how the current players feel about it. Jeremy has said this and I agree, would be great to have a statement game from the Orange. I know that the Army and UVa game could have been closer but at the same time watching it I never saw Army as a threat to win. Virginia was more skilled and athletic. Army guys are relentless, conditioned, and gritty (all qualities, I want as an American citizen having them defend our right to freedom) but not as talented as the top 5 teams on the lacrosse field.

It would be great to continue to exercise some demons from the past; although most of the guys on the team do not remember when Army beat us in the playoffs in 2010. I will never forget it. Not to get dramatic, as I know we lost to Duke in the tournament final a few years later but that loss to Army was a body shot to our returned national dominance. SU was coming off back to back national titles...lets be honest we stole 2009 from Cornell. But it was the winning attitude that put us over the top. Our guys refused to lose and came back. We had returned to the final four several years in a row after the streak had been broken. We lost in the Dome in the playoffs for the first time in forever. That team lost two games and was poised for another title run. It makes me sick. I am getting agitated as I type! So beat Army please and do it with authority. I want a return to Memorial Day and a return to when everyone nationally feared us as a program. It starts this weekend.

GO ORANGE!

It looks like Army is playing without Jacob Morin to start the year. Not sure if it is an injury or what have you but a nice break for us. Lethal outside shooter who had a great start as a freshman last year. Blew one by Porter on man up.

Don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm, despite my general skepticism, I am excited too. But, I remember Duke openings for several of the last years. They have lost to some inferior teams in their first games and sometimes in their seconds. Army's two extra weeks of practice and two game situations are clear advantages. Duke aims to be at their best at the end of the season. Danowski is never ruffled by early losses. It will take SU a while to settle and orient itself in this game to the pace and physicality of Army. If it takes too long, SU could lose, even by several goals. All this to say that I would not take a loss as a measure of this SU team's prospects. Win or lose, this game may be good experience for the treacherous ACC season.

Yep, factory. Surdick, Rigney etc .Two big defenders replaced by another two big defenders . .Thought their new defenders were fine , space eaters when settled and not dodged on. UVA had the ball alot thx to LaSalla and their ride and UVA is eventually going to break the dam . Will reiterate what DocLexus previously said, play at our pace not Army. Attack too passive last year , Scanlan was off to side and Ref was just passing off than influencing. Moore attacked Hudgins but just occupying made slides late. See how Army plays it but Id expect some double poling of mids. Nichtern vision may be as good as any, feeds not only the crease but step down shooters. Few slides needed for Kennedy but head on swivel because Nichtern make you pay for watching . Morin absent, wonder what status . Army still has some good mids, Albire is preseason all league with a good all round game and Phillips was the one who blew around the cage for a goal , bother on pace to 20 plus goal last season. Getting back to Schulyer . natural worrier, first game rust but mids cant be turning possessions over with poor shot angles because he aint giving up easy goals. Young fogo was near 50% last year , while Cuse should have advantage not a given as we've seen in some games . Ride whoever is hot

Don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm, despite my general skepticism, I am excited too. But, I remember Duke openings for several of the last years. They have lost to some inferior teams in their first games and sometimes in their seconds. Army's two extra weeks of practice and two game situations are clear advantages. Duke aims to be at their best at the end of the season. Danowski is never ruffled by early losses. It will take SU a while to settle and orient itself in this game to the pace and physicality of Army. If it takes too long, SU could lose, even by several goals. All this to say that I would not take a loss as a measure of this SU team's prospects. Win or lose, this game may be good experience for the treacherous ACC season.
This wise old man just got me to retake my blood pressure pills before the game.

Yes , a loss to a good opponent is very possible . Little practice and prep limits integration and refinement. All it takes is a bad shooting night by mids , a few miscommunications on d, a few unforced turnovers.

Damn you Shol for raising my anxiety.

This wise old man just got me to retake my blood pressure pills before the game.

Yes , a loss to a good opponent is very possible . Little practice and prep limits integration and refinement. All it takes is a bad shooting night by mids , a few miscommunications on d, a few unforced turnovers.

Damn you Shol for raising my anxiety.
IT- sorry

To many variables with the lack of PT and scrimmages due to COVID to get into a real deep analysis on my end, great job though Powell. That said to me this game has a few aspects that almost always hold true when SU plays Army that I will be looking at.

A UVA poster at fanlax noted that their matchup was one of the more physical games that he could remember for UVA. SU often comes out and matches that physicality at least initially but then seems to struggle to keep up and thats where SU often gets into trouble with turnovers and often struggles with Army. SU has to match or at least get close to the physicality of Army and has to limit the amount of turnovers. I know it hasn't had the normal amount of practice and scrimmages but the starters are almost all 3 and 4 year guys some 5, they shouldn't be turning it over at an alarming rate.

Win the areas that your favored on paper - You often hear me mention this in some form or another but when you play a team like Army this is so critical. SU has a FOGO advantage paper, they need to win at the X. SU has an advantage at midfield and at SSDM, SU needs to show it etc etc. SU certainly doens't have an advantage everywhere but where they do it needs to show up on the field and force Army to react and adjust.

Limit dumb mistakes and decisions - Part of me believes that SU struggles with Army most years because of this. To many times SU has the overall talent advantage but gets frustrated or starts making decisions you simply can't get a team like Army. Its critical when playing an academy to make smart decision or at least limit the headscratchers. Don't force a pass to a double team guy at the crease, know that Army likes to press out on defense and know that ball security and ground balls will be huge. Don't take a low % shot 13 seconds into the shot clock after the D just spent 2 mins defending Army. Understand that with a guy like Schluper sometimes you have to adjust the scouting report if he's on fire that day. Change shot angles and locations, be unpredictable. Know that Army usually struggles to score in the 6 on 6, don't give them 5 man up opportunities.

Go with and defend the Knowns. By that I mean SU's midfield is clearly its strength and Army struggled to stop it. Don't wait until late in the 3rd quarter to start inverting Curry and others when it was successful last year. Make Army prove they can stop it this year. You know Refhuss struggles against upper echelon and elite defenders, don't spend a whole half having him trying to dodge against Huggins. Let Cook initiate or get Hiltz in to play off of Rehfuss or as a mid to invert. Defensively the goal should be to make someone besides Nichtern beat us. Put Kennedy on Nichtern, face guarding, do whatever but don't allow him to beat you. If you can't slow him down, it doesn't bode well for the ACC schedule when teams like UVA Duke UNC have multiple guys with this level of skill.

This is a game SU should win but I am cognizant of the lack of practices and scrimmages save for a few inner squad games. That said, my point from last week still stands, if your a team that plans on memorial day weekend this is a game you need to win, period.

Expecting Lucas Quinn to be the second coming of Roy Colsey at this point, for as much as Desko brings him up.

It is getting a bit weird, you have to wonder if it's ever going to translate onto the field.

One thing to unfortunately keep in mind is that SU is apparently close to reaching 100 active cases of covid. If that happens everything is paused including I Believe athletics for 2 weeks. Would be disaster for the lax team.

One thing to unfortunately keep in mind is that SU is apparently close to reaching 100 active cases of covid. If that happens everything is paused including I Believe athletics for 2 weeks. Would be disaster for the lax team.
I cant hear you.gif

Anyone know what the story with Mitch Wycoff is ? Was talked a lot about over the Summer as a big pick-up and not a word since from any sources - perhaps he couldn’t make the Jump to D1 skill level ??

that’s stupid
I just saw the source of that rule, I thought the school made it up, but the source and applicability made it extra special stupid.

thank god somebody rational got it changed.

Going to be interesting year. The players have been under allot of duress dealing with Covid and socialization. Interesting to see how March adapts to the ACC caliber of play?? Not quite sure of this "initiate contact offense"..Don't you avoid contact , get your hands free to shoot or dish ? Speed looks like and issue as well. Last year was no measuring stick going 5-0. The ACC is loaded with depth and according to the AD its the final 4 or bust ! Don't be surprised with the schedule as tough as it is to get to through without change. Army is NO joke , mentally and physically tough. And the so called easier teams, well fasten you seatbelts. Go orange !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom