Article - PSU to the ACC could bring all Penn Staters together | Syracusefan.com

Article - PSU to the ACC could bring all Penn Staters together

SUinNYC

2nd String
http://blog.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2012/11/a_move_to_the_acc_could_bring.html

Talk amongst yourselves...
843000_o.gif

That would pretty signal the beginning of the end for the NCAA. PSU to ACC, Texas et al to the PAC 10 and the remainders to Big G and SEC. Bees head might explode though.

I've been saying Penn State to the ACC for a long time now. This would be the best move for everyone that also makes the most sense for everyone.

Ben Jones@Ben_Jones88
Revenue share alone, a move to the ACC would bring Penn State in 120 million less over 10 years. Less than half of 10 years in the B1G

Ben Jones@Ben_Jones88
Revenue share alone, a move to the ACC would bring Penn State in 120 million less over 10 years. Less than half of 10 years in the B1G

Except that's probably not true when factoring in the full membership of ND and what the addition of both schools would bring to a new TV contract.

I said this on Sunday morning, after the Penn State-Nebraska game. The refs really screwed Penn State with a horrible fumble call on a late Penn State TD. I would love Penn State/Notre Dame as 15-16 in the ACC it would be awesome for SU and I would love it even if it got RU into the B1G.

Except that's probably not true when factoring in the full membership of ND and what the addition of both schools would bring to a new TV contract.
Absolutely... ND would come on board in full and with those two BIG fish additions the ACC deal would at LEAST match the current B1G deal.

I would think if you added PSU and ND the ACC should be worth at least as much as the Big G. If there was ever a confrence which would justify its own network the ACC with PSU and ND would be it.

As you all may recall, Penn State was brought up under numerous Notre Dame threads. It certainly would be positive for the ACC and most likely for Penn State as well. It is a eastern institution that is buried in the B1G--similar to the rationale of Notre Dame to associate with the ACC.
Based on new BCS developments and words and voices coming out of Notre Dame how being independent may not be the best for the future in regard to National Championship opportunities, it could be, would be amazing if Penn State becomes #16 to Notre Dame's #15...Imagine the possibilities...Imagine the Reality of the ACC!

Imagining it isn't the hard part. That's relatively easy. Making it come about would be the hard part. :bang:

Cheers,
Neil

All it would take is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I imagine Joe Pa would be turning over in his grave that a true eastern confrence was created after he died, given that is what he really wanted.

What was the PSU / Nebraska scoreboard debacle?

Imagining it isn't the hard part. That's relatively easy. Making it come about would be the hard part. :bang:

Cheers,
Neil

Not necessarily. The biggest hurdle for PSU would be the financial one. They are already saddled with a huge penalty by the NCAA thanks to the Sandusky scandal. Would that make a buy out of their BIG contract untenable at this time?

Where I don't think they have a problem is selling such a move to their fans, alumni, etc., especially now. A change of scenery might be good.

What would be huge is if they announced within the next year, and that prompts ND to say "All In". Theoretically, we could see both join in all sports, at the same time, three years from now. And having both in the ACC will most certainly drive up the value of the TV deals, increase the chances of an ACC Network, AND really heat up talk of MSG being the home of the ACC BBall Tournament.

Absolutely... ND would come on board in full and with those two BIG fish additions the ACC deal would at LEAST match the current B1G deal.

The potential of FSU, Miami, PSU, ND, VT, Clemson, along with some historically periodically good programs like Pitt, GTech, Syracuse, UNC, Maryland, Virginia, and even BC and NCSt would seem to be a pretty formidable conference. But I don't expect it to happen.

Well the B1G will end up with Rutgers so everyone wins. I mean that's REALLY who B1G wants right? :crazy:

Big Ten academic thingy.

Penn State ain't leaving that.

This could possibly be the last (and best) opportunity for this to happen.

HOWEVER...the B1G has its own buyout clauses. And Penn State isn't exactly flush with cash right now.

But just imagine that conference....WOW

Big Ten academic thingy.

Penn State ain't leaving that.

It isn't like the ACC is filled with a bunch of commuter schools.....(*cough* LOUISVILLE *cough*)......right?

Is the Big 10 academic consortium that big of a needle turn? I mean to align with UVA/Duke/UNC/BC (major top 30 universities by any metric) vs lining up with the big land grant schools, is it that big a difference? I am not an academic but I never looked at Ohio St and Michigan St as the bastions of academia. Maybe i'm wrong but I don't see how Penn St is suddenly slumming it academically.

Is the Big 10 academic consortium that big of a needle turn? I mean to align with UVA/Duke/UNC/BC (major top 30 universities by any metric) vs lining up with the big land grant schools, is it that big a difference? I am not an academic but I never looked at Ohio St and Michigan St as the bastions of academia. Maybe i'm wrong but I don't see how Penn St is suddenly slumming it academically.

I don't think it's about the mere association with schools. The ACC is the best academic conference of the Big 5, hands down.

Its that the B1G Consortium is a real thing that attracts a lot of dollars to each institution for research. As always, its about the money.

CIC coupled with the loss of their media rights...seriously doubt this would ever happen. But ya never know--no better time than now, for it to happen.

PSU never really seemed to fit into the B10. Which is why, if I were a Rutgers fan, I wouldn't be entirely thrilled joining the B10 (anything is better than the BE, though). They'd be out on an island, and the whole B10 would be recruiting the hell out of NJ.

Does that Consortium have a dollar figure attached which can be quantified? I mean if Penn St can make the BCS game every 3 years vs every 6 years in the B1G, is that offset if it's all about the cash. I just feel like Duke and UNC are getting major research dollars (or at least i think they are being top 15 universities) and are not tethered to this Consortium.

The bigger issue is how much the television money is from going to ACC from B1G. As you said, if the money doesn't add up, this is a stupid (But fun) exercise.

That would pretty signal the beginning of the end for the NCAA. PSU to ACC, Texas et al to the PAC 10 and the remainders to Big G and SEC. Bees head might explode though.

Yes, because it is so easy to get your head around acceptance of a university that allowed probably 100 kids to be raped over decades. Read that again...allowed.

Seriously though, since the NCAA didn't do their job and kill their program and since we are not taking the high road and canceling our games with them, I don't care if they are in the ACC. They're going to play football and we're going to play them, so we may as well take adavantage of the extra $$$$ if it does happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom