Article - PSU to the ACC could bring all Penn Staters together | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Article - PSU to the ACC could bring all Penn Staters together

Does that Consortium have a dollar figure attached which can be quantified? I mean if Penn St can make the BCS game every 3 years vs every 6 years in the B1G, is that offset if it's all about the cash. I just feel like Duke and UNC are getting major research dollars (or at least i think they are being top 15 universities) and are not tethered to this Consortium.

The bigger issue is how much the television money is from going to ACC from B1G. As you said, if the money doesn't add up, this is a stupid (But fun) exercise.

I'm no education expert, but they have $ figured here and they're in the billions:

http://www.cic.net/Home/Impact.aspx

B10 might pay Penn State to go away.
I would rather see Penn State join the Big East.

That would pretty signal the beginning of the end for the NCAA. PSU to ACC, Texas et al to the PAC 10 and the remainders to Big G and SEC. Bees head might explode though.
now that the traditional ecac is gone (pitt,wvu,su,bc,psu,) and others, i really don't give a sh.. what they do. maybe that joepa is gone,they can stop being so constipated and full of themselves. i do miss the old days of eastern football, but then again, i miss traditional old country music--george jones etal

I'm no education expert, but they have $ figured here and they're in the billions:

http://www.cic.net/Home/Impact.aspx

Yes, but that is exaggerated to a great deal. What they do there is take all the stats of each indvidual institution and aggregate it and report it as one. The real question is, how much federal $$$ in research is generated specifically because Big Ten school 'X' partners with Big Ten school 'Y' and that partnership would have only come about because of the CIC.

In all the research I've ever done on it, I can't find anything where that is broken down. The best I've ever found is that the CIC "share" certain research faculty, library resources, student intern exchanges, and develop consistent graduate curriculum in certain areas to allow for joint grant partnerships. And when specifically investigating PSU grant partnerships the ones I have seen in the past were with Case Western and Penn moreso than with other Big Ten institutions. Not saying this isn't something that is a factor, just that I think it tends to be blown out of proportion to the nth degree in terms of importance.

Cheers,
Neil

This. This, and the $$$$$$.

I'd say it's $$$ and from what I understand, a huge part of the money is not the CIC and not cash on hand $$$ but a valuable asset in terms of their equity share of the BTN.

Cheers,
Neil

As I said on another board if Penn St and Notre Dame were in the ACC they could have a network that would be bigger then the Big 10 and Pac 12 combined. Miami, Florida St will get back to Prime Time, Penn St being in the ACC would be better able to tap their normal pipelines and the south. Notre Dame alone is more popular then all the other conferences. If Clemson, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech get back to 1980-2000 form you have the best league in football and basketball.

now that the traditional ecac is gone (pitt,wvu,su,bc,psu,) and others, i really don't give a sh.. what they do. maybe that joepa is gone,they can stop being so constipated and full of themselves. i do miss the old days of eastern football, but then again, i miss traditional old country music--george jones etal

Well joe pa may be gone, but George Jones is still around.

Yes, but that is exaggerated to a great deal. What they do there is take all the stats of each indvidual institution and aggregate it and report it as one. The real question is, how much federal $$$ in research is generated specifically because Big Ten school 'X' partners with Big Ten school 'Y' and that partnership would have only come about because of the CIC.

In all the research I've ever done on it, I can't find anything where that is broken down. The best I've ever found is that the CIC "share" certain research faculty, library resources, student intern exchanges, and develop consistent graduate curriculum in certain areas to allow for joint grant partnerships. And when specifically investigating PSU grant partnerships the ones I have seen in the past were with Case Western and Penn moreso than with other Big Ten institutions. Not saying this isn't something that is a factor, just that I think it tends to be blown out of proportion to the nth degree in terms of importance.

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks, Neil. I'm in way over my head talking about the CIC, I'm just going off how I've heard that's is so important. No surprise that may be overstated.

B10 might pay Penn State to go away.
I would rather see Penn State join the Big East.

I know for a fact that there has been at least one vote already to oust them... That's a fact!

Not necessarily. The biggest hurdle for PSU would be the financial one. They are already saddled with a huge penalty by the NCAA thanks to the Sandusky scandal. Would that make a buy out of their BIG contract untenable at this time?

Where I don't think they have a problem is selling such a move to their fans, alumni, etc., especially now. A change of scenery might be good.

What would be huge is if they announced within the next year, and that prompts ND to say "All In". Theoretically, we could see both join in all sports, at the same time, three years from now. And having both in the ACC will most certainly drive up the value of the TV deals, increase the chances of an ACC Network, AND really heat up talk of MSG being the home of the ACC BBall Tournament.
FYI, like the SEC, the Big Ten does not have an exit fee. There is no problem on that front.

The financial problem for a school looking to leave the Big Ten is the grant of rights all Big Ten schools signed. I don't know how long that grant of rights extended to, but right now PSU's TV rights are under contract to the Big Ten.

If they left, rather than allowing PSU games to be televised by/rights paid to the Big Ten, I assume an agreement would be reached where the Big Ten would get paid a huge fee to cede the rights to PSU games. That might end up being similar to the ACC $50 million exit fee...I have no idea.

FYI, like the SEC, the Big Ten does not have an exit fee. There is no problem on that front.

The financial problem for a school looking to leave the Big Ten is the grant of rights all Big Ten schools signed. I don't know how long that grant of rights extended to, but right now PSU's TV rights are under contract to the Big Ten.

If they left, rather than allowing PSU games to be televised by/rights paid to the Big Ten, I assume an agreement would be reached where the Big Ten would get paid a huge fee to cede the rights to PSU games. That might end up being similar to the ACC $50 million exit fee...I have no idea.

I don't think PSU is going to the ACC but I believe that PSU owns part of the BTN. If they do, then the B1G would need to buy them out. If both sides played nice, PSU could give up that share in return for their TV rights. For PSU to leave for the ACC the TV money would need to be crazy. I doubt that is true.

Funny thing is if PSU did ever leave it screws the SEC. At that point the B1G needs a 12th school. The best option is Mizzou because of exit fees/media rights. Which leaves the SEC needing a 12th and their best option being Louisville. How ironic would it be if this all happened and the flaming WV interent fanbase had to watch and be stuck in the B12.

Hmmmm... what is ND thinking about this? Should they accept the marriage proposal before someone else does?

This all comes down to a business decision - sorry - fans and coaches have no voice in this just like they had no voice in SU's decision to go to the ACC.

1. Swofford and ACC would have to agree that they want Ped State in the ACC conference in the first place.
2. Swofford and ACC would need to package a ESPN/NBC deal that would have to include ND to guarantee "bigger money" for Ped State and ND to go with the ACC than staying with B1G and maintaining independence for ND.
3. ACC would need to prove by the new playoff system that they can get a team in the final four so ACC football needs to improve greatly over the next couple of years.
4. Swofford would then need to be worshiped as a God.

I just dont see any of this happening and I dont see how the numbers add up to guarantee Ped State the bigger money let alone ND regarding independence.

This all comes down to a business decision - sorry - fans and coaches have no voice in this just like they had no voice in SU's decision to go to the ACC.

1. Swofford and ACC would have to agree that they want Ped State in the ACC conference in the first place.
2. Swofford and ACC would need to package a ESPN/NBC deal that would have to include ND to guarantee "bigger money" for Ped State and ND to go with the ACC than staying with B1G and maintaining independence for ND.
3. ACC would need to prove by the new playoff system that they can get a team in the final four so ACC football needs to improve greatly over the next couple of years.
4. Swofford would then need to be worshiped as a God.

I just dont see any of this happening and I dont see how the numbers add up to guarantee Ped State the bigger money let alone ND regarding independence.
Don't be so quick to dismiss...and maybe not G-d but a deity at any rate...more later! ..and yes, too early for Jack and Coke.

I don't think PSU is going to the ACC but I believe that PSU owns part of the BTN. If they do, then the B1G would need to buy them out. If both sides played nice, PSU could give up that share in return for their TV rights. For PSU to leave for the ACC the TV money would need to be crazy. I doubt that is true.

Funny thing is if PSU did ever leave it screws the SEC. At that point the B1G needs a 12th school. The best option is Mizzou because of exit fees/media rights. Which leaves the SEC needing a 12th and their best option being Louisville. How ironic would it be if this all happened and the flaming WV interent fanbase had to watch and be stuck in the B12.

I might be one of the few (including their own fanbase) who thinks Penn State fits in very well with the Big 10. But if, for some crazy reason, all 100,000 people just stopped showing up to games in protest of the league, so they made the move, I would imagine the Big 10 presents a very attractive offer to ND. One which ND, who's starting to show signs of leaning toward full conference affiliation someday, may not be able to refuse.

I might be one of the few (including their own fanbase) who thinks Penn State fits in very well with the Big 10. But if, for some crazy reason, all 100,000 people just stopped showing up to games in protest of the league, so they made the move, I would imagine the Big 10 presents a very attractive offer to ND. One which ND, who's starting to show signs of leaning toward full conference affiliation someday, may not be able to refuse.
Think of the twist...Notre Dame and Penn State to ACC...hard to believe but Jack and Coke does bring clarity.

Go to the Notre Dame board there is no chance for the Irish to go to the Big 10, the past discrimination by Big 10 members is why Notre Dame is Independent. If you think they value Independence in football, their dislike of the Big 10 borders on hate.

i believe ND will be a full member by the end of the decade. all they need to do, is add 2 more ACC games.

they dont have to play the crossover. as for the rest of the conference, they will continue to play the crossover, but it wont count towards winning their division. sort of an inconf, out of conf game in order to keep the integrity of the Champ game intact.

on the edit, that sort of locks NDs ACC games...not gonna work with divisions. would have to be 1 big league where the top 2 play off.

Well the B1G will end up with Rutgers so everyone wins. I mean that's REALLY who B1G wants right? :crazy:

I agree, the Big 1o has no interest in Rutgers. If Penn St. leaves (and I seriously doubt it), they would make a push for Oklahoma, Texas and ND. I still think the Big 10 is the most logical destination for ND if they ever decide to join a conference for football. Oklahoma State, Baylor, West Virgina, Texas Tech, Kansas and Kansas State would all get invites before Rutgers.

RutgersAl will be be able to tell his grandchildren fond memories of the glory days of Rutgers football and how they were actually ranked in the top 25. Rutgers has peaked. They are at the point on the rollar coaster where you make the slow advance to the top and the free fall is just seconds away. Good bye Rutgers, you won't be missed by anyone!

If Joe Paterno were alive today, I think this would be a hotter topic with a higher likelihood of possibly happening. I think he realized later in his years how much a true "Eastern" League was missed.

Agreed. I think PSU is the prototypical B10 school.

Not necessarily. The biggest hurdle for PSU would be the financial one. They are already saddled with a huge penalty by the NCAA thanks to the Sandusky scandal. Would that make a buy out of their BIG contract untenable at this time?

Where I don't think they have a problem is selling such a move to their fans, alumni, etc., especially now. A change of scenery might be good.

What would be huge is if they announced within the next year, and that prompts ND to say "All In". Theoretically, we could see both join in all sports, at the same time, three years from now. And having both in the ACC will most certainly drive up the value of the TV deals, increase the chances of an ACC Network, AND really heat up talk of MSG being the home of the ACC BBall Tournament.

Their membership in the Big 10 has been a disaster from a football standpoint. Reading that thread and realizing they have losing records against teams like Iowa and Wisconsin, let alone Michigan, Ohio State, says a lot.

Plus, their rivalries would be enormously improved by a move to the ACC. It would certainly bring Notre Dame, and then you would have the most watch TV conference in the land. No question about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom