Article: The ONLY thing BE schools agree is NO ONE gone till 2014 | Syracusefan.com

Article: The ONLY thing BE schools agree is NO ONE gone till 2014

echosofmanley

Scout Team
http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/extras/colleges_blog/2011/10/big_easts_fate.html

Gonna be an intense/ugly 2 1/2 more seasons. As a silver lining, SU will bring a hardened defense into the ACC with seniors Davis, Crume, Reddish.

"If there is a consensus about anything in the Big East is that no matter what happens, none of the schools who are leaving or contemplating leaving will be allowed to depart until the 27 month waiting period put in for defecting teams expires, which means that no Big East school could join their new conferences before the start of the 2014 season."

Except that they could all be headed elsewhere within the next few weeks/months. Seriously, football teams could all be locked into a new conference soon at the speed we've seen things so far.

That's really stupid. All it does is keep two potential NCAA teams out of the tournament. SU and Pitt will take spots away from other Big East teams, unless the Big East gets to keep the NCAA tournament money that Pitt and SU make from the tournament. If they keep SU football in next year we will have a chance to get a BCS berth. No TCU. How embarrassing would that be for the Big East. Hoops is going to be very strong the next couple of years and SU will only give the ACC additional coverage. The Big East needs to move on. This is another example of lame Big East leadership.

Lawyers always find a way. And they will here too. SU and Pitt will be gone after next year. Just watch. Keeping two or more programs around that don't want to be there is no good for anyone. The only reason that SU and Pitt would not be released is to save the BCS bid. But, what would stop the BCS from pulling the bid anyway under the guise that the league would be changing for the worse? Also, it's not like SU or Pitt will be ranked in the Top 10 over the next two seasons. If keeping them is about nothing more than having the numbers, then just go out and get two fill ins.

Marinatto will lose more credibility by holding a grudge and dragging this thing out simply for spite.

I'm not too bent about it. It gives Marrone a couple more years of rebuilding before heading into real competition.

It doesn't bother me too much considering there is a 27 month period, it would have been nice to be able to opt out but we will live until 2014 or whenever it is.

Happy to leave the conference but this bides Marrone some time, hopefully

I'd be shocked if the Big East held Pitt and Syracuse to the 27 months...if the leadership in the league had any idea what they are doing. Pitt or Syracuse winning the Big East championship while their fans chant "ACC" is a nightmare scenario. Holding them out of the tournament and having their absence dominate the discussion during the season and/or at the tourney is a nightmare scenario. Having one of the two win the football championship in the next three years demonstrates how weak the league that's left is...

It wouldn't shock me if the bumbling idiots did have a temper tantrum and held Syracuse and Pitt to the 27 months...so Syracuse needs to focus on making as many of the nightmare scenarios come true if it happens.

Spruill and Bromleys senior year=BE championship and BCS.

Now that would be a proper way to leave the BigEast with the crown. Most of the ACC fans think we are only a BB school only and have no football it seems :)

I'd be shocked if the Big East held Pitt and Syracuse to the 27 months...if the leadership in the league had any idea what they are doing. .

Sorry, you lost me right there.

So what did the rest of the post say?

listen, 27 months was and is a deterent to anyone leaving.

2 teams just left.

they dont give a fluck for they know they will be out before then.

if mizzou goes where they should and the dominos start falling, Syracuse could be in the ACC as soon as next year.

sadly, i think '13 is more the case.

By making us stay the full term and insisting on the buyout, the Big East leadership will not get anything from the ACC and will create enmity with their media partners. There is a lot of posturing right now for negotiating purposes.

listen, 27 months was and is a deterent to anyone leaving.

2 teams just left.

they dont give a fluck for they know they will be out before then.

if mizzou goes where they should and the dominos start falling, Syracuse could be in the ACC as soon as next year.

sadly, i think '13 is more the case.
Exactly, once the BE realizes they need to crap and get off the pot, they need to make decisions and move on. They will be much better off releasing Cuse and Pitt sooner than later.

Isn't this just a negotiating position? A chance to add more of a financial penalty, in essence buying out 12 or 15 or more of those months?

Isn't this just a negotiating position? A chance to add more of a financial penalty, in essence buying out 12 or 15 or more of those months?

Look up 3 posts.

Exactly. Hoping we jump at it now, throw in $5M more or whatever # they're looking for. Wonder when the conference officially falls apart though. As of today they have 6 teams starting in 2014 which would be the end of the football league. So let's say WVU and Louisville announce tomorrow they're joining the Big 12. What changes? Still an 8 team league until 2014 and then a dead league. If the hoops schools break away, then what? Still an 8 team football league until 2014.

I'm suddenly getting claustrophobic. Someone let me out of here!

Su and Pitt need to tell WVU, Rutgers, UConn, etc to vote getting us out early otherwise they don't get our support if the ACC asks. Tell the Gtowns, Novas and SJU's to vote to get us out early or we never play on their courts again helping them with attendance. Play hardball with the s.

I read somewhere that a league has to have 7 or more AQ teams in the league AND all teams must be AQ teams for at least two year to maintain the league AQ status. So, even if Boise, Air Force, UCF, Houston and others come into the league for next year, the league would still lose their AQ status by allowing SU and Pitt to leave - the league would only have 6 members with at least two years in an AQ league. Can anyone confirm that? This may be the reason they're adamant about keeping SU and Pitt.

I read somewhere that a league has to have 7 or more AQ teams in the league AND all teams must be AQ teams for at least two year to maintain the league AQ status. So, even if Boise, Air Force, UCF, Houston and others come into the league for next year, the league would still lose their AQ status by allowing SU and Pitt to leave - the league would only have 6 members with at least two years in an AQ league. Can anyone confirm that? This may be the reason they're adamant about keeping SU and Pitt.

I don't believe so. Otherwise, the BE would have lost its' AQ in 2005.

Exactly. Hoping we jump at it now, throw in $5M more or whatever # they're looking for. Wonder when the conference officially falls apart though. As of today they have 6 teams starting in 2014 which would be the end of the football league. So let's say WVU and Louisville announce tomorrow they're joining the Big 12. What changes? Still an 8 team league until 2014 and then a dead league. If the hoops schools break away, then what? Still an 8 team football league until 2014.

I'm suddenly getting claustrophobic. Someone let me out of here!
somebody open a window......

im guessing SU ends up tossing about 1mm to 1.5mm to the hoop onlys.

i think the bevo and the sec will agree to '13 being the year mizzou goes. then the bevo and the ACC can put the squeeze on the bigeast.

the official lame duck year will begin 7/1/21012.

i hope im wrong and SEC does its thing before thanksgiving.

AQ rules seem clear yet murky at the same time.
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation

"The basketball schools proposed doubling the exit penalty to $10 million while also asking for a 15-year commitment. The football schools have flatly rejected that, causing a bigger fissure between the two sides."

There's no way that ND would agree to lock itself in for another 15 years.

Those crazy tail wags dog hoopsters. :crazy: