As a fan, do you think you care more about | Syracusefan.com

As a fan, do you think you care more about

No, I don't think he's placing his son above winning or the better good of the program. However, IMO, I do think that his judgement is somewhat clouded, and not 100% objective, in a human nature manner. Moreover, because of same, in his mind/own thinking, he believes that Buddy gives his team the best shot at winning at ALL times, thus why his MPG is so high for basically a caliber of talent that in many year's past on a JB team would be coming off the bench as a role type player.

No, I don't think he's placing his son above winning or the better good of the program. However, IMO, I do think that his judgement is somewhat clouded, and not 100% objective, in a human nature manner. Moreover, because of same, in his mind/own thinking, he believes that Buddy gives his team the best shot at winning at ALL times, thus why his MPG is so high for basically a caliber of talent that in many year's past on a JB team would be coming off the bench as a role type player.
I think with the talent we had on this team, Buddy would be playing and starting if his last name was Smith. He just wouldn't be playing 40 minutes a game.

I think with the talent we had on this team, Buddy would be playing and starting if his last name was Smith. He just wouldn't be playing 40 minutes a game.

I agree. However, it's the 40 minutes/game though where his judgement is clouded because of the fact that he does have Boeheim written across his jersey. If his name was Smith, perhaps JB would better see that person's deficiencies (as he normally would) and not afford him 40 minutes/game, especially in games where he's struggling with his shot, getting consistently burned on D, and not rebounding.

Last edited:
I agree. However, it's the 40 minutes/game though where his judgement is clouded because of the fact that he does have Boeheim written across his jersey. If his name was Smith, perhaps JB would better see that person's deficiencies (as he normally would) and not afford him 40 minutes/game, especially in games where he's struggling with his shot, getting consistently burned on D, and not rebounding.
have to say, I can never remember our shooting guard taking crap for his rebounding. Just for some background, Buddy averaged 1.9 rebounds a game. Cooney averaged 2.1, 2.8 and 2.5 during the 3 seasons he played. Devo averaged 2.0, 2.6, and 2.7 I never heard anyone talk about their rebounding. Good or bad.

Last edited:
You can’t compromise people that are alpha winners. It’s always about winning period. Son playing is just the cherry on top.

Syracuse winning basketball games than JB does? This is a serious question. Do you think his agenda is now based more on his son than on the team winning?
Dash, there are some geniuses on this forum who might seriously consider your OP as a valid premise, but I believe the vast majority here would say no,
Personally, I'm single-minded about this issue. I've disagreed w/ JB's bench and PT philosophy for years now, so that's not gonna change.
I also recognize and appreciate him for the great, not just good, but GREAT coach he's been throughout his career.
However, with the talent level we've been seeing in the program lately, I don't think he's been flexible enough as far as developing depth and players. Its like the old adage about "star players not being good head coaches", because they expect every player to be as good, as easily, as they once were.
JB still coaches like we have 5 stars at every position, and he played both Buddy and JG 5-star minutes, at the expense of a Goodine/Braswell who both need time to develop. And worse, he decided that he was going to give rope to those he anointed, but shorten the leash on those he didn't. That to me was the crux of the matter, and unfortunately, there's a 40-year track record that says its unlikely to change. JMHO

Dash, there are some geniuses on this forum who might seriously consider your OP as a valid premise, but I believe the vast majority here would say no,
Personally, I'm single-minded about this issue. I've disagreed w/ JB's bench and PT philosophy for years now, so that's not gonna change.
I also recognize and appreciate him for the great, not just good, but GREAT coach he's been throughout his career.
However, with the talent level we've been seeing in the program lately, I don't think he's been flexible enough as far as developing depth and players. Its like the old adage about "star players not being good head coaches", because they expect every player to be as good, as easily, as they once were.
JB still coaches like we have 5 stars at every position, and he played both Buddy and JG 5-star minutes, at the expense of a Goodine/Braswell who both need time to develop. And worse, he decided that he was going to give rope to those he anointed, but shorten the leash on those he didn't. That to me was the crux of the matter, and unfortunately, there's a 40-year track record that says its unlikely to change. JMHO
Would agree that JB needs to play more people each have to maybe 8-9 rotation. We are tiring out our best players and prohibiting the others from developing

Your two most recent threads/questions are kinda worrying.

I think JB is all about winning but it seems he gives buddy and jg3 more latitude then other players in the past. It always seemed to me that when a player showed defensive weakness he was pulled. That did not seem to happen this year with buddy and a lesser extent jg3. I can see how players feeling there is a double standard wanting to move on. It’s unfortunate because if they would have been given more opportunities they may have stayed and developed into productive players. We now have a depth issue. I see braswell leaving next. That will be five scholarships when Hughes moves on with no seniors on the roster.

have to say, I can never remember our shooting guard taking crap for his rebounding. Just for some background, Buddy averaged 1.9 rebounds a game. Cooney averaged 2.1, 2.8 and 2.5 during the 3 seasons he played. Devo averaged 2.0, 2.6, and 2.7 I never heard anyone talk about their rebounding. Good or bad.
Then you must have had me on ignore.

It isn’t just the numbers, it was the disinterest in even trying to get some of the boards.

Syracuse winning basketball games than JB does? This is a serious question. Do you think his agenda is now based more on his son than on the team winning?
me, no. not even close.

The answer is no. But JB has always had his blind spots and coaching his son seems to have exacerbated them.

Fun question!

Q: As a fan, do you think you care more about Syracuse winning basketball games than JB does?
A: Nope. I'm sure it consumes him. It likely keeps him up at night, I throw a few things at the wall, and then move on at some point until the next time we play.

Q: Do you think his agenda is now based more on his son than on the team winning?

A: Evidence says, yes. I doubt it's conscious though. I think he just coaches from a place of comfort, or fear now. He has an unwavering belief in his son - to an irrational extent. That's not a good thing.

JB is biased. He thinks playing his son 35 mins is the best chance to win.

I think JB plays favorites by playing Buddy 40 minutes a game which cannot be good for recruiting or keeping players.

nope JB cares more about his program. He takes Cuse wins and losses, although I used to be consumed and went into many m9nth long painful funks (navy loss, Rhode island loss, Indiana loss nearly broke this 15 year old). I think it’s mostly perception issues where you need to be careful. Jimmy’s never particularly cared about the opinions of others but this is such a sensitive area it could have been handled gentler.

cuse!

I didn't single out his rebounding deficiencies, but grouped it with his other weaknesses and shortcomings relative to a player playing 40 MPG. In regards to you never hearing anyone talk about those other's lack of rebounding, perhaps it wasn't needed as much? Devo could get out and "cherry pick" a lot quicker for a potential fast break, so could Cooney as he was far more athletic based on how he could dunk, etc. So, perhaps that was the reason? Or, that we weren't this perennial bubble team in those times of yesteryear when we were chasing conference championships, and higher NCAA tourney seeds, etc. Meaning, we had significantly more talent, so perhaps we didn't need those guys as much to pitch in in that area as much as we do now...more of a "by committee" type effort from all because of our mediocrity?