As a fan, do you think you care more about | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

As a fan, do you think you care more about

Syracuse winning basketball games than JB does? This is a serious question. Do you think his agenda is now based more on his son than on the team winning?

I don't question that he wants to win as much as anyone, and I would give you he wants to win more than anyone here.

I would also give you the fact that Buddy does deserve to start on this team.

But I would also ask you a counter -- how has this program come to this? Buddy wouldn't start as a sophomore on any of the prior 20 years his father has had.

That is why people are frustrated. The talent level is beyond low for this program. We have zero sure-fire NBA prospects after Hughes leaves. Guerrier can't shoot and is undersized for a power forward, and also has no handle. Edwards is very raw. Richmond is a HS senior who plays no defense. Newton is a project as well. Dolezaj weight 200 pounds. Sidibe & Bol Ajak? Girard and Buddy? No.

I didn't single out his rebounding deficiencies, but grouped it with his other weaknesses and shortcomings relative to a player playing 40 MPG. In regards to you never hearing anyone talk about those other's lack of rebounding, perhaps it wasn't needed as much? Devo could get out and "cherry pick" a lot quicker for a potential fast break, so could Cooney as he was far more athletic based on how he could dunk, etc. So, perhaps that was the reason? Or, that we weren't this perennial bubble team in those times of yesteryear when we were chasing conference championships, and higher NCAA tourney seeds, etc. Meaning, we had significantly more talent, so perhaps we didn't need those guys as much to pitch in in that area as much as we do now...more of a "by committee" type effort from all because of our mediocrity?
If we were fair, Buddy's last name also enters kin to why his rebounding "weakness" gets mentioned when others didn't.

Hes a Dad before hes a coach. Of course he is biased.
He is Jimmy's dad as well. I don't see Jimmy dressed in orange.

If we were fair, Buddy's last name also enters kin to why his rebounding "weakness" gets mentioned when others didn't.

Perhaps. Possibly it has more to do with the other's you mentioned being about 6'2" - 6'3" in stature whereas Buddy is a legit 6'6" if not taller than it does with his last name?

Perhaps. Possibly it has to do with the other's you mentioned being 6'2" - 6'3" in stature whereas Buddy is a legit 6'6" if not taller than it does with his last name?
I think both Devo and Cooney were 6'4. Pretty sure about that. Just googled both and they are listed at 6'4. So, it's not that.

This is always a curious point - as people are correct. All of our guards are bad at rebounding.

I think people tend to look at this more like, if Tyus, or Triche, or Cooney, etc...went in for a rebound they could fight for it - and maybe get it. Maybe tip it. Who knows.

If Buddy needed to go get a board.....he could not.

Otherwise, statistically, likely not a huge spread. The other thing I think people notice is loose balls - do they count as rebounds? I mean, he does not pursue them at all. It either comes to him, or he ain't getting there. Which I assume is because he's got no quick first step, but who knows.

When it's a loose ball after a scuffle under the rim, is that a "team rebound" or does the player get credited? I realize the ones that bounce directly to him are rebounds, but what about the ones involving a scuffle outside the lane after a tip?

This is always a curious point - as people are correct. All of our guards are bad at rebounding.

I think people tend to look at this more like, if Tyus, or Triche, or Cooney, etc...went in for a rebound they could fight for it - and maybe get it. Maybe tip it. Who knows.

If Buddy needed to go get a board...he could not.

Otherwise, statistically, likely not a huge spread. The other thing I think people notice is loose balls - do they count as rebounds? I mean, he does not pursue them at all. It either comes to him, or he ain't getting there. Which I assume is because he's got no quick first step, but who knows.

When it's a loose ball after a scuffle under the rim, is that a "team rebound" or does the player get credited? I realize the ones that bounce directly to him are rebounds, but what about the ones involving a scuffle outside the lane after a tip?
I just know the numbers. And Buddy's aren't that different than that of Devo and Cooney. I would guess that over the course of a season, the balls that just go to you even out.

I think both Devo and Cooney were 6'4. Pretty sure about that. Just googled both and they are listed at 6'4. So, it's not that.

Ha, that's why I said "legit." We all know how those "listed" stats on team rosters exaggerate size...something many of us may all relate to. ;):)

have to say, I can never remember our shooting guard taking crap for his rebounding. Just for some background, Buddy averaged 1.9 rebounds a game. Cooney averaged 2.1, 2.8 and 2.5 during the 3 seasons he played. Devo averaged 2.0, 2.6, and 2.7 I never heard anyone talk about their rebounding. Good or bad.

Right? Buddy grabbing one more board per game (3 would probably be a “normal” average for a SG here), would’ve affected the outcome in exactly 0 games. It’s a weird thing for people to harp on, to be sure.

I just know the numbers. And Buddy's aren't that different than that of Devo and Cooney. I would guess that over the course of a season, the balls that just go to you even out.

Yeah, really no idea - just taking a guess.

Anyway, I remain curious about how team rebounds are credited, or if they have them in the college game, or if you always just get the credit for a rebound if you get the ball.

I think you see JGIII at times throw himself into the mix to get those loose balls on misses...whereas, BB is kind of a, "I hope it comes right to me" guy. Which again, I think has more to do with a very slow first step. So, that's why I'm curious about "team rebounds."

Yeah, really no idea - just taking a guess.

Anyway, I remain curious about how team rebounds are credited, or if they have them in the college game, or if you always just get the credit for a rebound if you get the ball.

I think you see JGIII at times throw himself into the mix to get those loose balls on misses...whereas, BB is kind of a, "I hope it comes right to me" guy. So, that's why I'm curious about "team rebounds."
There are team rebounds in college hoop. The other team shoots and the ball hits the rim and bounces over. I am almost positive that is a team rebound.

There are team rebounds in college hoop. The other team shoots and the ball hits the rim and bounces over. I am almost positive that is a team rebound.

Or goes out of bounds off of an opponent after a shot.

Nearly every shot taken either:
Goes in.
Misses. Gets rebounded.

Either by an identified player, or the ‘team’ in those examples.

The only instance I’m thinking is an exception, is those end of half or game heaves where the shot clock expires before the ball goes out.