As crappy as that game ended…. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

As crappy as that game ended….

It's a small sample size, but I think Shrader is also much better at reading the defense than TD who locks on to Taj a bit.

Was nice to see Courtney Jackson make some plays

The other HUGE thing is -
When the OLine protection broke down, Shrader was consistently able to:
Make the first guy miss.
Keep looking downfield for a throw or run opportunity.

Tommy gets sacked 5-6x yesterday, easy.
And throws it away on several others, to avoid the sack.

Make the first guy miss.

Shrader won the job yesterday, as far as I'm concerned.
I feel way more confident with him back there than Tommy.

Here's his tweet

Obviously this could be about anything. Trying to analyze college kids' tweets is a losing proposition. That being said, considering Taj didn't make the trip, and he's shown immaturity in the past, it's fair to speculate. Flipping the bird to a camera, or pouting on the sidelines if you aren't getting the ball are selfish moves, but they don't inherently hurt the team. It's the consequences of those actions, like missing games that do. I've always been a big supporter of his, but if it comes out that he didn't make the trip for disciplinary reasons, I'd rather Alford become the starter so he can get more reps and grow as a receiver.

Shrader won the job yesterday, as far as I'm concerned.
I feel way more confident with him back there than Tommy.

agreed 144%.

But - ONLY after we switched up the playcalling, and started with play action and rolling him out.

That was exactly as lethal as I knew it would be -
Have no clue why it took Gilbert several drives into this game to finally realize that.

Don’t just run Tucker every. Single. Play.
Use the threat of doing that, to open other things up.

We did. It did.

Make the first guy miss.

2nd half was the best half of football we have had from a QB since Dungy(actually the last 3 quarters) far from perfect but he made things happen.

agreed 144%.

But - ONLY after we switched up the playcalling, and started with play action and rolling him out.

That was exactly as lethal as I knew it would be -
Have no clue why it took Gilbert several drives into this game to finally realize that.

Don’t just run Tucker every. Single. Play.
Use the threat of doing that, to open other things up.

We did. It did.

Quarter 2-4 we saw what our offense can look like the rest of the season. Elmore looks to be in the best shape of his life. Our young WR's look to have potential.

Quarter 2-4 we saw what our offense can look like the rest of the season. Elmore looks to be in the best shape of his life. Our young WR's look to have potential.
I’m thinking buckle up , some last quarter heroics are going to decide our games. Or last quarter incompetence by officials which oddly always goes against us.

Obviously this could be about anything. Trying to analyze college kids' tweets is a losing proposition. That being said, considering Taj didn't make the trip, and he's shown immaturity in the past, it's fair to speculate. Flipping the bird to a camera, or pouting on the sidelines if you aren't getting the ball are selfish moves, but they don't inherently hurt the team. It's the consequences of those actions, like missing games that do. I've always been a big supporter of his, but if it comes out that he didn't make the trip for disciplinary reasons, I'd rather Alford become the starter so he can get more reps and grow as a receiver.

I Have no clue why he didn’t take advantage of the no sit COVID transfer rule. He’s the one guy accomplished and talented enough to go to a bigger program and not worry about getting buried. Thought it was weird when he came back given all the drama last couple years.

I feel better about the rest of the season and the offense now than I did after Liberty. We just weren’t going to beat ACC teams by handing the ball to #34 30 times a game.

Shrader had a rough start, but got better as the game went on.

the missed holding call was laughably horrific, but it only gets us into OT if it’s called. No idea what happens there.

Had no issue going for it on 4th and 2 early. We wanted to get the lead and set a tone for the offense.

Chestnut’s interception was the sickest individual defensive play I’ve seen in a long time.

the clock management at the end of the first half can’t happen. Not sure we would have got 3, but we had no chance. Needed to burn the first TO at the :21 mark

we didn’t make winning plays today. If #14 goes after the lateral harder, he gets it. If Wax doesn’t pull up, they might not get 3. Some of those plays have to be made…and you can’t point at the coaches.

the play calling was meh, but got better as the game went on. The one that really annoyed me was the 2nd and goal from the 7 with the QB draw - the roll out was working all game long. Shrader puts pressure on the defense, could have run it three times inside the 10.

ive seen enough ability from our receiving corps to not care what happens to #3. Hope he’s healthy, but if he’s pouting, then he should not get any special treatment to return.
I felt good about OT. We were moving the ball more consistently.

I too feel better about us now than before the game. I think FSU isn't as bad as 1-4 and will play everyone else tough the rest of the year.

Hate prima donnas- always have, always will. And WR prima donnas are my least favorite, and i have no idea why. The Terrell Owens, Dez Bryant, even going back to the Jeremy Shockey-types rub me the wrong way, especially in a team sport like football.
If you’re the best basketball player on the team, you’re easier to tolerate because you can literally carry a squad…on your own. But to biotche and moan because you’re not “getting mine” while the OL, QB, and other 10 players get their doors blown off, is just selfish, IMO.
If this was a case of Taj being a butthole then I’d have no problem seeing the back of him. He’s not as good as he thinks he is.

I Have no clue why he didn’t take advantage of the no sit COVID transfer rule. He’s the one guy accomplished and talented enough to go to a bigger program and not worry about getting buried. Thought it was weird when he came back given all the drama last couple years.
I think TH has his mind set on NFL draft 2022. I don’t think he wants to go anywhere for another year. I hope his absence was not disciplinary. If so, he has to get his head on straight.

I thought yesterday showed we have other guys that can get it done. I wonder if it was some sort of, "We put up with your crap before because we didn't have a choice. Now we have other guys that can play," sort of deal.

Make the first guy miss.

Shrader won the job today, IMO. Tommy didn’t lose it because he didn’t play. (We don’t need to hypothetically give anyone a loss)

I feel better about the rest of the season and the offense now than I did after Liberty. We just weren’t going to beat ACC teams by handing the ball to #34 30 times a game.

Shrader had a rough start, but got better as the game went on.

the missed holding call was laughably horrific, but it only gets us into OT if it’s called. No idea what happens there.

Had no issue going for it on 4th and 2 early. We wanted to get the lead and set a tone for the offense.

Chestnut’s interception was the sickest individual defensive play I’ve seen in a long time.

the clock management at the end of the first half can’t happen. Not sure we would have got 3, but we had no chance. Needed to burn the first TO at the :21 mark

we didn’t make winning plays today. If #14 goes after the lateral harder, he gets it. If Wax doesn’t pull up, they might not get 3. Some of those plays have to be made…and you can’t point at the coaches.

the play calling was meh, but got better as the game went on. The one that really annoyed me was the 2nd and goal from the 7 with the QB draw - the roll out was working all game long. Shrader puts pressure on the defense, could have run it three times inside the 10.

ive seen enough ability from our receiving corps to not care what happens to #3. Hope he’s healthy, but if he’s pouting, then he should not get any special treatment to return.
Great post, Jake. Agree with everything.

Only possible thing I potentially disagree with is I found myself not annoyed with Wax for some reason. Defenders are always on pins and needles not to hit anyone out of bounds, that while he made a mistake, I think he was acting rationally.

Dino has turned into a meathead.
Scarred by two years of non-functional OL and his system being found out has meant a more cautious approach. I’d bet he gets more open to being aggressive the more the OL and GS grow

Dino has turned into a meathead.
YOU WATCH YOUR MOUTH!!!

2021-10-03_12-22-02.jpg

Great post, Jake. Agree with everything.

Only possible thing I potentially disagree with is I found myself not annoyed with Wax for some reason. Defenders are always on pins and needles not to hit anyone out of bounds, that while he made a mistake, I think he was acting rationally.

You just have to edge them out of bounds instead of a hard shove or an all out hit. It sucks, but that’s the game. Just make sure he steps on that line. Teaching moment.

The earlier ridiculous roughing the passer call on him had him scared.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom