As good as I've seen as a freshman | Syracusefan.com

As good as I've seen as a freshman

tumblr_lnwy9d0X5u1qh2mpqo1_500.gif

Signing this kid was a freaking homerun feat by this staff. Tennessee, VT and Penn St were throwing everything at him towards the end. Huge that he stayed Orangeman Orange.

Seems like our PA recruits last year really got hammered by other major conference schools down the stretch.

He reminds me of Brandon Coleman, the kid Buttgers beat us out for. I was depressed about it for a week. If Custis is as good or better than Coleman then I am going to be very excited for the next four years. Am I asking too much for him to be better?

This is interesting. Who was it the other day that said Ishmael was far and away the most impressive frosh to him? And then he mentioned Zaire later in the article.

Also like the shoutout to Rodney Williams. Aside from Naes Howard, he might be the most undervalued player in the class because he got his offer on a camp visit and might not have had another offer, but I'm not 100% on that.

He reminds me of Brandon Coleman, the kid Buttgers beat us out for. I was depressed about it for a week. If Custis is as good or better than Coleman then I am going to be very excited for the next four years. Am I asking too much for him to be better?

Considering Coleman was what a 4th round draft pick, it might be. When's the last time we had a WR drafted higher than the 4th? Wasn't Mike. Williams a 4th rounder?

We can only hope Custis is going to be that good.

Libero2 said:
Considering Coleman was what a 4th round draft pick, it might be. When's the last time we had a WR drafted higher than the 4th? Wasn't Mike. Williams a 4th rounder? We can only hope Custis is going to be that good.

Um, he didn't get picked at all. Came out early after an injury filled year and didn't impress all that much at the combine. Imagine what Rob Moore could have done with him.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...an_not_picked_after_leaving_school_early.html

When's the last time we had a WR drafted higher than the 4th? Wasn't Mike. Williams a 4th rounder?

Mike Williams would've been a late 1st/2nd rounder if he wasn't such a problem child. He was always in the top 5 WRs on draft boards until he finally left the team. I think Estime is our next chance at having a kid go before the 4th.

Mike Williams would've been a late 1st/2nd rounder if he wasn't such a problem child. He was always in the top 5 WRs on draft boards until he finally left the team. I think Estime is our next chance at having a kid go before the 4th.

True, but character counts as well. Hopefully Custis doesn't have the character concerns Williams did, but has all of the talent and then some.

I would say Estime is our next WR to be drafted unless Broyld makes a giant leap this year. However you don't see very many 5'9" guys go in the top 4 rounds. He has to have a true elite (by his draft class standards) to go that high, and right now he doesn't seem to have that (but he's a going to be a true sophomore so plenty of time to develop one)

I'm not to keen on smaller WRs getting really high picks. Remember, DeAnthony Thomas, one of the most exciting college football players of the last handful of years, was only a 4th rounder. If Estime can go ahead of him, I'd be really surprised.

I'm not to keen on smaller WRs getting really high picks. Remember, DeAnthony Thomas, one of the most exciting college football players of the last handful of years, was only a 4th rounder. If Estime can go ahead of him, I'd be really surprised.

Tavon Austin was drafted in the first and Desean Jackson is 5'-10" and was drafted in the second round. But that was 7 years ago. Those guys are few and far between. Hard to get drafted high being a short WR.

This is interesting. Who was it the other day that said Ishmael was far and away the most impressive frosh to him? And then he mentioned Zaire later in the article.

Also like the shoutout to Rodney Williams. Aside from Naes Howard, he might be the most undervalued player in the class because he got his offer on a camp visit and might not have had another offer, but I'm not 100% on that.

Keep in mind he is just seeing him work out now and not seeing him practice. I think Ishmael may be the most ready to play now. But Custis was my personal favorite recruit in this class. In a year or two once he develops his WR skills a little more he could be unbelievable. You can't beat 6'-5", muscular and fast. Thats a prototypical WR body. On his highlights his skills look pretty good and he seems to have decent hands so there seems to be a lot to work with.

Keep in mind he is just seeing him work out now and not seeing him practice. I think Ishmael may be the most ready to play now. But Custis was my personal favorite recruit in this class. In a year or two once he develops his WR skills a little more he could be unbelievable. You can't beat 6'-5", muscular and fast. Thats a prototypical WR body. On his highlights his skills look pretty good and he seems to have decent hands so there seems to be a lot to work with.

I don't know what the word is but it isn't Prototypical. Prototypical WR is probably 6'3", 6'6" is just flat out awesome.

Tavon Austin was drafted in the first and Desean Jackson is 5'-10" and was drafted in the second round. But that was 7 years ago. Those guys are few and far between. Hard to get drafted high being a short WR.

Those guys and Brandin Cooks (a first rounder this past year who is also 5'10") all had absolute elite speed and displayed top notch receiver skills before being drafted.

I doubt Brisly can become what they were, but here's to hoping...

I don't know what the word is but it isn't Prototypical. Prototypical WR is probably 6'3", 6'6" is just flat out awesome.
Ha Ha your right. OK lets go with optimal.

C Bomb, post: 1085951, member: 325"]Um, he didn't get picked at all. Came out early after an injury filled year and didn't impress all that much at the combine. Imagine what Rob Moore could have done with him.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...an_not_picked_after_leaving_school_early.html[/quote]

Considering Custis plays basketball also I think he will be able to hang onto the ball. At least I am hoping so. I remember watching Coleman play and expecting something amazing, but never saw it. I wasn't sure how his career turned out. It's too bad his physical traits never matched up to his skills.

Last edited:
I think Broyld makes that jump! I really like his competitiveness and how he seemed to get "it" at the end of last season.

Didn't Shafer bench him in the bowl game because he refused to come out? Or was that a different game? Anyway, let's hope another year makes him more mature and gives him better judgement.

The best advantage for Custis is his height will help get him onto the field even if his route running isn't as advanced as some of the other WR's. If he plays big and high points the ball I don't see how the coaches are able to keep him off the field as a Fresh.