Ashton Broyld | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ashton Broyld

If you say Nassib gives us our best chance to win next year, really think hard about what that means for the offense.

Most teams who have an offense in the 90s for consecutive years don't start the same QB for a third year. I think it's because those teams rightly figure out that a) next year isn't the only year to think about and b) how good a chance can that qb give you?

Unless our defense somehow becomes really really good, they're not winning next year. It doesn't matter how much much we yell silly stuff like "he has to win next year"

I know it's not going to happen but it doesn't mean it's not dumb to a) act like next year is all that matters and b) pretend like the offense doesn't already stink.

If you say Nassib gives us our best chance to win next year, really think hard about what that means for the offense.

Most teams who have an offense in the 90s for consecutive years don't start the same QB for a third year. I think it's because those teams rightly figure out that a) next year isn't the only year to think about and b) how good a chance can that qb give you?

Unless our defense somehow becomes really really good, they're not winning next year. It doesn't matter how much much we yell silly stuff like "he has to win next year"

I know it's not going to happen but it doesn't mean it's not dumb to a) act like next year is all that matters and b) pretend like the offense doesn't already stink.

I am not saying we ARE going to win but I think Nassib gives us our best chances, if you are/were playing for the future then sure throw Hunt or Broyld in there and get your ass kicked in every game because they will make a ton of mistakes, it will prove positive for 2013 but Marrone does not have that option. That said, by game six you might actually have a qb that can be a difference maker but there will be a ton os growing pains moreso than playing Nassib. I don't disagree or agree with either but I see the reasoning behind it. I don't think Nassib is good or will be better than what we have seen but I don't think any other qb will be ready or beat him out for that matter, so its fun to talk about but we all know who will get 90% of the snaps at qb next year.

If you are marrone next year is basically all that matters because if he really lays an egg it could get ugly

Good story for the Spring (Broyld's prospects at QB or other roles).
He already had a PG season, and will be here for the Spring -- zero chance he redshirts. Could certainly play specials or push into the mix at LB.

More likely, the coaches will find ways to get him runs out of the Wildcat or get him into the backfield as a wingback with Nassib. Let's see if Marrone/Hackett have some new wrinkles in the playbook.

It is not as if we are loaded at the skill positions. We don't have the luxury of having prospects like Broyld & Hunt standing on the sidelines with clipboards.

I am not saying we ARE going to win but I think Nassib gives us our best chances, if you are/were playing for the future then sure throw Hunt or Broyld in there and get your ass kicked in every game because they will make a ton of mistakes, it will prove positive for 2013 but Marrone does not have that option. That said, by game six you might actually have a qb that can be a difference maker but there will be a ton os growing pains moreso than playing Nassib. I don't disagree or agree with either but I see the reasoning behind it. I don't think Nassib is good or will be better than what we have seen but I don't think any other qb will be ready or beat him out for that matter, so its fun to talk about but we all know who will get 90% of the snaps at qb next year.

If you are marrone next year is basically all that matters because if he really lays an egg it could get ugly
it's going to be ugly anyway. if the new guy fails, hey, we're building something. if the new guy doesn't have growing pains, great - bonus! i don't know what is so unique about marrone's situation vs all the other coaches who take their lumps

I know that Ohio State and Texas are both tougher schools to get into than SU

Are you friggin' nuts?

A pulse gets you into Ohio State, 68% acceptance rate, and that's with a much lower pool that's applying than a school like SU.

One of the farces of acceptance rates is that a simple percentage doesn't take into account the demographics of who's applying.

In conclusion, Ohio State sucks.

Are you friggin' nuts?

A pulse gets you into Ohio State, 68% acceptance rate, and that's with a much lower pool that's applying than a school like SU.

One of the farces of acceptance rates is that a simple percentage doesn't take into account the demographics of who's applying.

In conclusion, Ohio State sucks.
Yeah, I put OSU in there off-hand...bone headed on my part. I think my brother could make it in there without finishing his freshman year of high school. That explains how Pryor and Clarrett got into college...

RB wasn't our problem this season kid.

And that's why I said back in September- that Moore should have stayed on the bench this season. There's no point in putting someone in as a Freshman if they're not guaranteed to make an impact.

And that's why I said back in September- that Moore should have stayed on the bench this season. There's no point in putting someone in as a Freshman if they're not guaranteed to make an impact.

I agree. That's why we need Broyld to step in.

Yeah, no. That's the exact same thing people were saying about AAM in August.
The big advantages Broyld has over AAM is that 1) he has played a season at prep school against very good competition, which should help prepare for the jump to D1 and 2) he will be participating in spring practice, which I think is huge, especially for a QB.

The other thing is, with Nassib being a senior, there is an expectation that DM will do something similar to what he did when Paulus was a senior and Nassib a redshirt frosh, and give the heir apparent QB regular snaps in 2012 to help prepare him for taking over the starting job in 2013. With the suspension of Hunt, Broyld has a golden opportunity to seize that spot and position himself for a long career at QB for Syracuse.

Ashton wore #5 in HS. Sales has that number at SU so he will probably have to wait a year to get it. I wonder if he will take #1 (vacant with Phil Thomas leaving early) for now?

The other thing is, with Nassib being a senior, there is an expectation that DM will do something similar to what he did when Paulus was a senior and Nassib a redshirt frosh, and give the heir apparent QB regular snaps in 2012 to help prepare him for taking over the starting job in 2013.

Here is Ryan's redshirt freshman season in 2009:

Played in 10 games

Against Minnesota, played a role in specific offensive packages Lost 20-23 OT

At Penn State, was 4-of-5 for 30 yards, including his first completion on his first career pass, a 19-yard connection with tight end Cody Catalina Lost 7-28

Against Northwestern, played a role in specific offensive packages Won 37-34

Against Maine DNP won 41-24

Against USF DNP lost 20-34

Against West Virginia, entered midway through the game and completed 7-of-16 passes for 120 yards and two touchdowns and gained three yards on his first collegiate run lost 13-34

Against Akron, had four carries for 14 yards won 28-14

Against Cincinnati, went 7-of-10 for 97 yards and had one rush for six yards lost 7-28

At Pittsburgh, completed 5-of-16 for 21 yards lost 10-37

At Louisville, was 2-of-5 for 21 yards and ran four yards on one carry lost 9-10

Against Rutgers, completed 4-of-6 for 69 yards and had five carries for 12 yards won 31-13

Against UConn was 7-9 passing for 64 yards 1 TD a long of 20 and was sacked 2 times, he rushed 3 times for -19 yards lost 31-56

Season Stats according to ESPN passing 36 for 68 422 yards comp % 52.9 long of 50/ 3 td's & 1 int, 7 sacks (67 in his career) for a 116.7 rating

The big advantages Broyld has over AAM is that 1) he has played a season at prep school against very good competition, which should help prepare for the jump to D1 and 2) he will be participating in spring practice, which I think is huge, especially for a QB.

The other thing is, with Nassib being a senior, there is an expectation that DM will do something similar to what he did when Paulus was a senior and Nassib a redshirt frosh, and give the heir apparent QB regular snaps in 2012 to help prepare him for taking over the starting job in 2013. With the suspension of Hunt, Broyld has a golden opportunity to seize that spot and position himself for a long career at QB for Syracuse.

Ashton wore #5 in HS. Sales has that number at SU so he will probably have to wait a year to get it. I wonder if he will take #1 (vacant with Phil Thomas leaving early) for now?
Yes, being at spring practice will help, as will the suspension of Hunt. But saying he played against very good competition in prep school...the competition he faces in spring practice alone will be exponentially better than what he played in prep school; that's not even talking about the teams we play this season. I agree that he could take a role similar to Nassib's frosh year, but if he isn't going to play a crucial role then I'd rather see him take the redshirt and battle it out with Hunt for the starting job next spring.

It's totally trivial but I think he takes 10 as his number.

Yes, being at spring practice will help, as will the suspension of Hunt. But saying he played against very good competition in prep school...the competition he faces in spring practice alone will be exponentially better than what he played in prep school; that's not even talking about the teams we play this season. I agree that he could take a role similar to Nassib's frosh year, but if he isn't going to play a crucial role then I'd rather see him take the redshirt and battle it out with Hunt for the starting job next spring.

It's totally trivial but I think he takes 10 as his number.
Perry Patterson's old number, I wish he wouldn't, although that was Eli's number too, so that's a positive spin on it.

Yeah, no. That's the exact same thing people were saying about AAM in August.

Really? About AAM? I don't recall that. People were hoping he could fill the gap left by DC but most people realized that he he probably wasn't going to be ready his first year either.

Dont write off AAM just yet the kid has the ability to be our best back in a very long time if he dedicates himself. He is huge, quick, and has exceptional balance.

Dont write off AAM just yet the kid has the ability to be our best back in a very long time if he dedicates himself. He is huge, quick, and has exceptional balance.

Hey we agree on something :D I was saying the same thing all through the "he's too fat" time period. I also knew that he wasn't going to come in on day one and play lights out. If he did, great but I had no expectations of that happening and I don't recall anyone else with those expectations either.

Spread option.

Bring back the old turf.

interior.jpg

Rockin' the Little "S".

Hey we agree on something :D I was saying the same thing all through the "he's too fat" time period. I also knew that he wasn't going to come in on day one and play lights out. If he did, great but I had no expectations of that happening and I don't recall anyone else with those expectations either.
About time! Anyway i got to see him play in HS as i live in CO. He played against very good comp and destroyed it. I dont know what happened to him as he looked to be in better shape in HS than last year. He is pretty darn fast for his size as well and shows good hands although i only saw him play twice. I just hope he has put the work in this off season. If so between Smith PTG and AAM we may have a very good rb attack one that will be much better than last year. Sure would be nice if we could RS the Morris kid.

I can't remember. Do we know what Hunt's suspension is? Is he for sure missing spring practice or could it possibly be just the spring game he misses?

About time! Anyway i got to see him play in HS as i live in CO. He played against very good comp and destroyed it. I dont know what happened to him as he looked to be in better shape in HS than last year. He is pretty darn fast for his size as well and shows good hands although i only saw him play twice. I just hope he has put the work in this off season. If so between Smith PTG and AAM we may have a very good rb attack one that will be much better than last year. Sure would be nice if we could RS the Morris kid.

CO - how I would love to be in a position to move somewhere on the Front Range.

I can't remember. Do we know what Hunt's suspension is? Is he for sure missing spring practice or could it possibly be just the spring game he misses?

That's a great question. It better not be for the practice portion of spring ball--I could certainly live with him not being allowed to play in the game as a punishment.

That's a great question. It better not be for the practice portion of spring ball--I could certainly live with him not being allowed to play in the game as a punishment.
That would be great. Spring football will be a lot more interesting to watch if Broyld and Hunt are going head to head the whole time.

Not trying to be an ass because I agree with you two that AAM can be and hopefully will be a stud running back however isn't Colorado football very watered down?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom