Ashton Broyld | Syracusefan.com

Ashton Broyld

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
Does anyone here know which position(s) Broyld received practice reps during the Bowl Practice time last month? Did he stay at running back the entire time? Or did he receive some reps at QB, TE, etc.?

I'm very curious how McDonald is going to use him in his offense. With Gus Edwards decommitting, that leaves a hole at RB (to a certain extent), which could be filled by leaving McFarlane and/or Broyld there. But is that his best position?

Should be interesting to see what happens to him this spring.

Does anyone here know which position(s) Broyld received practice reps during the Bowl Practice time last month? Did he stay at running back the entire time? Or did he receive some reps at QB, TE, etc.?

I'm very curious how McDonald is going to use him in his offense. With Gus Edwards decommitting, that leaves a hole at RB (to a certain extent), which could be filled by leaving McFarlane and/or Broyld there. But is that his best position?

We'll probably have to wait until mid Feb to hear more about this one. After LOI Day, and staff decompression, then they start digging in. He's going to be one of the first issues they have to address.

not sure on ashton hmmm gus edwards has not decommitted yet

Should be interesting how the new staff handles players like AB and even Sales. Two different scenarios as to why they didn't always see the field but both with obvious talent. I realize Sales is gone but just the type of situation in general.

I know the board blew up numerous times about seeing him play and then disaappearing. I can't remember but wasn't it true that AB saw a lot of time in practice before the 1st game, or am I remembering that incorrectly?

It's all up to McDonald. I hope he's able to better utilize talent than Marrone was.

Will be very revealing what happens with Broyld with a new OC. Think a lot of our questions will be answered.

The Lewellyn Coker of Offense

SPOT ON Bnoro. If Coker was smarter, he'd be a BEAST in the LB core. The same goes for Slashton. You wonder why Coker does so well on Special Teams? Hey LC, run straight and hit the ball carrier. That doesn't take reads.

It's all up to McDonald. I hope he's able to better utilize talent than Marrone was.

I don't think he did a bad job with the talent. I think it was more on Ashton. Talent elsewhere was used well.

SPOT ON Bnoro. If Coker was smarter, he'd be a BEAST in the LB core. The same goes for Slashton. You wonder why Coker does so well on Special Teams? Hey LC, run straight and hit the ball carrier. That doesn't take reads.
J.R. Johnson 2.0

The Lewellyn Coker of Offense

Together, they could be the best gunner combo in school history. Opposing PRs will be too scared to even fair catch a punt.

Should be interesting how the new staff handles players like AB and even Sales. Two different scenarios as to why they didn't always see the field but both with obvious talent. I realize Sales is gone but just the type of situation in general.

I know the board blew up numerous times about seeing him play and then disaappearing. I can't remember but wasn't it true that AB saw a lot of time in practice before the 1st game, or am I remembering that incorrectly?

People tend to forget that none of the other QB prospects as frosh ever saw the field at all (including Nassib); and no other frosh on offense in any skill position contributed at all last season. All the frosh WRs, RBs, and TEs weren't ready (except Thompson at TE who might have played if he wasn't injured). If you look at the entire Marrone era, you have Lemon who played as a frosh at WR, and AAM got a few carries in 2011. Who else, in an offensive skill position?

Ashton played and showed some ability in October games -- but then he was not used because Jerome Smith (1200 yards) and PTG (dynamic #2 who showed his ability in the bowl game) deserved the carries. Not "disappearing" so much as third in the depth chart behind two RBs who excelled.

Some will talk about playbook knowledge, or uncertainty about assignments. Ashton was playing as a frosh (OK, with a Spring practice as well) -- so let's see how he progresses as a QB, RB or in the slot.

People tend to forget that none of the other QB prospects as frosh ever saw the field at all (including Nassib); and no other frosh on offense in any skill position contributed at all last season. All the frosh WRs, RBs, and TEs weren't ready (except Thompson at TE who might have played if he wasn't injured). If you look at the entire Marrone era, you have Lemon who played as a frosh at WR, and AAM got a few carries in 2011. Who else, in an offensive skill position?

Ashton played and showed some ability in October games -- but then he was not used because Jerome Smith (1200 yards) and PTG (dynamic #2 who showed his ability in the bowl game) deserved the carries. Not "disappearing" so much as third in the depth chart behind two RBs who excelled.

Some will talk about playbook knowledge, or uncertainty about assignments. Ashton was playing as a frosh (OK, with a Spring practice as well) -- so let's see how he progresses as a QB, RB or in the slot.

Gully, Wales and Kobena played as Freshmen. Foster and Flemming saw limited time as Freshmen as well.

I'd change the weren't ready to weren't needed. Which is a sign of progress.

Back to the OP, AB should not be the QB. I don't care who the staff is. There is way more to it than most people on here think. It starts with the playbook and ends with the playbook in this case. If you can't handle that, how are you supposed to run the offense?

Back to the OP, AB should not be the QB. I don't care who the staff is. There is way more to it than most people on here think. It starts with the playbook and ends with the playbook in this case. If you can't handle that, how are you supposed to run the offense?
But he won a state championship and had good runs from the RB position!

...but seriously. Rocco knows what he's talking about here. major major playbook issues.

But he won a state championship and had good runs from the RB position!

...but seriously. Rocco knows what he's talking about here. major major playbook issues.

I'm not so much talking QB as I am tight end or linebacker. I was wondering if he got any reps there during December practice.

I've said it before (as has bnoro) but Ashton should be used in a Aaron Hernandez role. Nice package set up where he can be in the backfield, slot, or wing. One player with multiple positions causes a lot of issues for defenses, especially as the D moves more into personnel groupings.

What hole at running back. Smith, Gully, Moore, Morris, MacFarlene, plus Broyld. If there was one position we could take a hit in recuiting it would have been running back. Well stocked.. can pick up a few good ones next year.

Gully, Wales and Kobena played as Freshmen. Foster and Flemming saw limited time as Freshmen as well.

I'd change the weren't ready to weren't needed. Which is a sign of progress.
Can't say how ready any of those RBs were -- they weren't good enough or ready enough to push for time. You would have to go back to Bailey as a frosh to find someone who contributed more in his first year than Broyld, and that was primarily at the end of the season, after Carter was out (ND game under GROB) and Bailey was the only option.

Gulley & Kobena returned kicks as frosh -- doesn't take a lot of knowledge of the playbook. The WRs (Foster, Flemming) hardly made a dent. Wales was used sparingly as a blocker.

I admit to hoping Ashton gets his fair shot at QB. I saw the HS game when he won the state championship; I have seen Loeb in Spring games. We could use a fair competition and let's see how it goes.

What hole at running back. Smith, Gully, Moore, Morris, MacFarlene, plus Broyld. If there was one position we could take a hit in recuiting it would have been running back. Well stocked.. can pick up a few good ones next year.

ya Gulley and most likely Smith are gone after this year. Moore will be a SR, and never an every down back. next thing you know were an injury or 2 away from disaster. were not as loaded as some might think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom