Assistant Coach and Lydon | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Assistant Coach and Lydon

Huh, in what world can you not? I could put on 15 pounds of muscle before next season if I wasn't lazy and I really wanted to.

Not what I asked.

You can put on muscle if your in the Nba, playing in college, or just working out to look good. That was my point.

Again - I get your point. I hope you understand my point which is that when your entire job is basketball ( NBA ) and not school + limited hours of basketball, you will be better off.

Again - I get your point. I hope you understand my point which is that when your entire job is basketball ( NBA ) and not school + limited hours of basketball, you will be better off.

He will have an entire offseason to work out, you don't have to worry about school from May-Sept, plenty of time for anyone to put on some muscle.

Agree with the logic.

On the other hand, he did it with McNamara 6 years ago, so I'm not confident that that sort of thing wouldn't happen again.

Not exactly -- he got "promoted" when Fine was terminated in-season, when there wasn't an opportunity to go out and get a quality candidate--those guys were all working. Very different circumstances.

Not exactly -- he got "promoted" when Fine was terminated in-season, when there wasn't an opportunity to go out and get a quality candidate--those guys were all working. Very different circumstances.

Different, sure (virtually no one would find a permanent outside hire in November). But they could have given McNamara an interim job, or given Z the interim job and let him walk after the year, and then conducted a real search after the season.

The process (the full-time hire, not McNamara as a November-April place-holder) smacked of desperation, and I maintain Boeheim's loyalty interfered with the desired end result of having the best candidate in that position. It'd be a shame to see that happen again.

Different, sure (virtually no one would find a permanent outside hire in November). But they could have given McNamara an interim job, or given Z the interim job and let him walk after the year, and then conducted a real search after the season.

The process (the full-time hire, not McNamara as a November-April place-holder) smacked of desperation, and I maintain Boeheim's loyalty interfered with the desired end result of having the best candidate in that position. It'd be a shame to see that happen again.

I agree about it being interim / placeholder. Understood it for the continuity, poor timing making it impossible to find a replacement, etc. Didn't see it as an act of desperation at all. Retaining him? Questionable move, but I don't see that as being akin to what is unfolding now, even if JB somehow decides to stay inside the family. Circumstantially, it is nothing like when GMac was promoted.

I agree about it being interim / placeholder. Understood it for the continuity, poor timing making it impossible to find a replacement, etc. Didn't see it as an act of desperation at all. Retaining him? Questionable move, but I don't see that as being akin to what is unfolding now, even if JB somehow decides to stay inside the family. Circumstantially, it is nothing like when GMac was promoted.

To clarify, the "desperation" refers to giving McNamara a full-time assistant position, not the necessary November move. It's the retention, that is, giving him a full-time position, that gives me pause and concerns me about the next hire. We've seen that Boeheim's content to end up with an underqualified ex-player to whom he's loyal on the staff. We can think of a couple other guys who'd fit that description, and I'd hate to see them hired (or promoted) in the next couple weeks.

To clarify, the "desperation" refers to giving McNamara a full-time assistant position, not the necessary November move. It's the retention, that is, giving him a full-time position, that gives me pause and concerns me about the next hire. We've seen that Boeheim's content to end up with an underqualified ex-player to whom he's loyal on the staff. We can think of a couple other guys who'd fit that description, and I'd hate to see them hired (or promoted) in the next couple weeks.

I think we're mostly on the same page about it.

The description I'd use would be "settling" or "least amount of effort." Like you, would hate to see them hire someone who doesn't have proven recruiting chops -- i.e., any internal candidate. This is a very important hire for Boeheim.

I think we're mostly on the same page about it.

The description I'd use would be "settling" or "least amount of effort." Like you, would hate to see them hire someone who doesn't have proven recruiting chops -- i.e., any internal candidate. This is a very important hire for Boeheim.

Bingo. I think he settled for McNamara.

If he settles for Devendorf, oy.

In addition to being good at recruiting, would like to see an assistant coach come in who can really work with the bigs and help them develop good fundamentals, especially rebounding and making putbacks/bunnies.
Working with the big men used to be Hop's job, but since Rak's senior year, our big men have been somewhat disappointing when it comes to having the fundamental skills of a big man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom