Assuming Frost is our HC | Syracusefan.com

Assuming Frost is our HC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nahson

Your best friend
I'm curious to see how you all think this will effect our recruiting. West Coast coach, recruiting on the East Coast. Do you think because of his pedigree and success at Oregon, that he will be able to bring in higher caliber recruits? Or do you think we will continue with the status quo of getting maybe one/two four star recruits a class, bolstering the rest of the class with under the radar kids? I mean, I don't see any recruiting contacts on the West Coast being overly fruitful for our program (Yeah, I know Dungey but that the exception, not the rule). Also, is Eric White being retained? I think retaining him would be a smart move, Frost could really benefit from Eric while transitioning.

East Coast high school coaches already know who Scott Frost is and that will assist the Cuse in getting better skill players on offense. My concern is on defense and hoping a top-notch DC and staff is hired for I would like to see Ed Orgeron as our guy.

East Coast high school coaches already know who Scott Frost is and that will assist the Cuse in getting better skill players on offense. My concern is on defense and hoping a top-notch DC and staff is hired for I would like to see Ed Orgeron as our guy.

Will Frost carry more weight then Shafer and company? Do you think he will be able to reel in "bigger" fish?

Based on some info from S**** Frost is the guy but there are some hold ups that need to be wrinkled out

I would too, but I find it hard to believe we could land out top 2 coaching candidates

I'm curious to see how you all think this will effect our recruiting. West Coast coach, recruiting on the East Coast. Do you think because of his pedigree and success at Oregon, that he will be able to bring in higher caliber recruits? Or do you think we will continue with the status quo of getting maybe one/two four star recruits a class, bolstering the rest of the class with under the radar kids? I mean, I don't see any recruiting contacts on the West Coast being overly fruitful for our program (Yeah, I know Dungey but that the exception, not the rule). Also, is Eric White being retained? I think retaining him would be a smart move, Frost could really benefit from Eric while transitioning.

i do not. and i do not believe he has a name cache that east coast coaches will be like - wow - go play for him.

I think initially he’ll get an offensive stud or 2 because they’ll be guaranteed starters. Next year he’ll earn his money when the team isn’t that good. Little harder to recruit to Syracuse than to Oregon.

i do not. and i do not believe he has a name cache that east coast coaches will be like - wow - go play for him.

I think initially he’ll get an offensive stud or 2 because they’ll be guaranteed starters. Next year he’ll earn his money when the team isn’t that good. Little harder to recruit to Syracuse than to Oregon.
I agree. My concern is that Frost won't be able to recruit the quality of athletes (esp. QB and WR) needed to effectively run the Oregon offense, and that we'll be looking at the George McDonald Offense Part II.

Offense aside, my personal opinion is that our defense was our downfall last year. Excluding FCS Rhode Island, we gave up an average of 34 pts/game, and 5 times yielded over 40 pts/game. How many games did we lose because our D couldn't stop the opposition on the final drive of the game?

I agree.

He will have to bring a couple of assistants in with recruiting contacts in our prime recruiting areas or the first few years of recruiting classes are going to be filled with nobodies.

Not that big of a deal, imo. He recruited Florida and Georgia for Oregon, and will most likely have assistants with East Coast ties.

Not that big of a deal, imo. He recruited Florida and Georgia for Oregon, and will most likely have assistants with East Coast ties.

How many from Florida and Georgia did he get to go to Oregon – 1 kid? The rvls data I have no idea if it’s accurate or not but according to them he recruited QBs and a couple of WR’s, they came from mostly CA, AZ and a TX kid or two. I could honestly see him pulling in a stud QB next cycle but this notion of kids lining up to play for him is misguided. Eastern seaboard kids will be in a wait and see approach. He has no name and no HC track record to just make kids notice on it’s own merit.

The guy who crushed it for Oregon was Azzinaro.

IMO, Scott Frost's success with recruiting, in our basic recruiting area, will be predicated on who he brings in as assistants.
If we are lucky, we might pick up a commit or 2 on the Offensive side. He will need assistants who can recruit the area. We also need a DC who is a respected coach and runs an aggressive/successful D.

one variable we dont know, if he recruited 3 qbs and 2 were from the WC and one from the EC but they had the WC kids higher on the board and got them who knows if the EC kid would have gone there. just because they got the kids they wanted closer to home doesnt mean they could have gotten other ones that still might be better than what we got.

Frost is a very good recruiter in his own right. That skill set still applies regardless of where he is coaching or what region he is recruiting.

His biggest challenge recruiting wise might be convincing players, their hs coaches and their parents that he will be here for more than a few years.

His biggest challenge recruiting wise might be convincing players, their hs coaches and their parents that he will be here for more than a few years.

That's fair. You'd hope that whomever he tabs as his OC or DC would be a potential HC in waiting.

Les Miles is still the HC of LSU, Orgeron isn't going anywhere unless he gets paid a bunch more than he is getting now or gets offered a HC gig.

Les Miles is still the HC of LSU, Orgeron isn't going anywhere unless he gets paid a bunch more than he is getting now or gets offered a HC gig.
Isn't it reasonable to assume he might be interested in an AHC/DC/RC position with even a slight raise as opposed to position coach at LSU? His resume lacks a middle, and this would be a climb from position coach. Particularly when you can also assume that Frost, with success, will likely move on, and due to that success it would be very likely that EO would step over into the HC position. Makes sense to me, but who knows?

Might as well close this thread now with Frost headed to UCF.

Status
Not open for further replies.