ASU | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

ASU

We're going to extend the zone beyond the 3 point line and dare them to beat us inside. Their guards (really PG-SF) are incredibly short, so even if they penetrate, we don't exactly have to collapse hard on them, so they shouldn't have many kick-out or dump-off opportunities. We struggle against balanced scoring teams who do well in the hustle stats. ASU is not balanced on offense and apparently doesn't hustle. Anything could happen, especially with the team we have this year, but I'm reasonably confident going into this game.

ASU has been compared to VT. If that's accurate, then there's good reason for optimism. We would beat VT 8 out of 10 times this year.

This is an interesting post, because I was going to ask about their guards penetrating. Sounds like you are saying the wings will need to let Chewy or Sid manage the penetrator and perhaps one of ASU's smaller bigs by himself if the guard gets by Howard/Battle. Best case, let them shoot the 12-15 footer and not kick out for an open 3. Correct?

Need our centers to play very disciplined then - contest but don't over-contest and get dumb fouls - and just get ready to rebound. That's my least favorite thing - seeing one of our bigs attempt to block a shot and the guy they were closest to then gets the rebound for an uncontested putback.

Arizona State plays 4 guards and a big.
I actually think Dolezaj on the glass will help on offense.
If anyone can post we should do it on this team.
Our length will bother them but they can shoot.

BCs starters are 6’1, 6’6, 6’5, 6’8 And 6’11

ASUs are 6’1, 6’1, 6’5, 6’8 and 6’7
The 6'8 kid is a frosh who is foul prone. Their 6'10 big, who doesn't start and is their only shot blocker, is also foul prone. I think the game plan will be to attack these guys and get them in foul trouble. If we can do that, the game will end early.

538 Analytics favor Syracuse.
We are 59% favorite to win.
That would tell you the Vegas line is good value for SU.

Arizona State plays 4 guards and a big.
I actually think Dolezaj on the glass will help on offense.
If anyone can post we should do it on this team.
Our length will bother them but they can shoot.

lmao

lmao
You don’t think Brissett could post a little?

I am not expecting it though.
It’s going to be Howard and Battle taking turns iso and hoping we don’t throw Chukwu out to screen instead they get penetration and score or
Pass to Brissett.

You don’t think Brissett could post a little?

I am not expecting it though.
It’s going to be Howard and Battle taking turns iso and hoping we don’t throw Chukwu out to screen instead they get penetration and score or
Pass to Brissett.

Oh I do, but it won't happen.

This is an interesting post, because I was going to ask about their guards penetrating. Sounds like you are saying the wings will need to let Chewy or Sid manage the penetrator and perhaps one of ASU's smaller bigs by himself if the guard gets by Howard/Battle. Best case, let them shoot the 12-15 footer and not kick out for an open 3. Correct?

Need our centers to play very disciplined then - contest but don't over-contest and get dumb fouls - and just get ready to rebound. That's my least favorite thing - seeing one of our bigs attempt to block a shot and the guy they were closest to then gets the rebound for an uncontested putback.

Exactly. I don't see any reason for Sid or Chukwu to aggressively step up to stop their guards. It's better to sit back and let them try to loft floaters or pullup midrange jumpers. They don't have the size to go into our centers' chests and finish with regularity. The forwards definitely shouldn't be collapsing on anybody.

The 6'8 kid is a frosh who is foul prone. Their 6'10 big, who doesn't start and is their only shot blocker, is also foul prone. I think the game plan will be to attack these guys and get them in foul trouble. If we can do that, the game will end early.

Our games don't end early.

(And this one will start at 9:30!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom