At the 5 | Syracusefan.com

At the 5

pearl31

in cahoots
After reading some stuff before today's exhibition and after watching today's exhibition, I get the feeling that the C spot will be manned by Roc, CM and then TR (in a pinch)... The only way Chino will see the floor (in non blowout time) will be if the 3 others are in dire foul trouble.
thoughts?

Yeah, I had been holding out hope he'd be ready enough to at least defend and rebound adequately

I'll give China a few more games to look and see, but its certainly not looking great when JB would rather role Tyler out of the doghouse to play the five when he was sitting Rak and Chris. Part of the issue is that with young wing defensders he gets over exposed in the middle especially agaist spread and shoot/overload teams like Carton and Duke. There still may be games where he does fine for 4-6 minute stretches although clearly he did nothing to show that he can do that today. I'm just not quite ready to close that door yet.

Roc has to realize how indispensable he is. He has to play 35-38 minutes every game; he can't get saddled with foul troubles. Roc is arguably our most important player and he showed why in the 2nd half.

We've got one thin bench.

About as thin as I can ever recall.

Patterson is our seventh man, so he's going to play.

BJ is the eighth man.

I'm not sure he'll play much unless he starts scoring.

Obokoh isn't playing.

We better hope we stay healthy.

It's a 7.5 rotation.

BJ is the eighth man.

Obokoh isn't playing.

It's a 7.5 rotation.
'96. JB Reafshyder, Marius and david Patrick. This years bench looks like 2012 next to that

Jury not fully out on Chino and Tyler yet, but neither helped their own cause today. The way I figure, it's important for one of Tyler-BJ to step up. McCullough and Roc are going to play, but if Chris plays backup 5 and Chino sits, it's important that we get quality minutes out of one or both of Roberson Johnson. I think it all gets sorted out, but this is just one game. Either way, all of these underclassmen will have their bad days. We do have guys that can step up so I don't care if it is not "etched in stone" just yet.

dasher said:
'96. JB Reafshyder, Marius and david Patrick. This years bench looks like 2012 next to that

Not all that different, but I see your point.

Jury not fully out on Chino and Tyler yet, but neither helped their own cause today. The way I figure, it's important for one of Tyler-BJ to step up. McCullough and Roc are going to play, but if Chris plays backup 5 and Chino sits, it's important that we get quality minutes out of one or both of Roberson Johnson. I think it all gets sorted out, but this is just one game. Either way, all of these underclassmen will have their bad days. We do have guys that can step up so I don't care if it is not "etched in stone" just yet.

Agreed, I'm not ready to have a final verdict on anyone after one exhibition even against a good team . . . . . . other than that Kaleb and Chris are really good ;)

Roc has to realize how indispensable he is. He has to play 35-38 minutes every game; he can't get saddled with foul troubles. Roc is arguably our most important player and he showed why in the 2nd half.

That's not going to happen. 30 tops. That's not discounting his importance, just that he won't play 35. I agree that Chris will move to center when Rak is on the bench..

I know Chino was expected to be a bit of a project when we recruited him, but was it expected that he would still be a mess after practicing and learning the system for a year? Our options were limited, since no good recruits would accept a role behind two established centers, but what I'm hearing is making me think we were better off just saving the scholarship.

Anybody else get the feeling that SU is saying we are penalizing ourself already with two open scholarships on this year's team? I believe we gave one walk on a scholarship, which makes 11. Two are left open. We did this the year our APR was low. Between this and revamping our academic support staff, we might end up being ok in our scholarship numbers moving foward. We definitely need to bring in two bigs for next year. I doubt Coleman will ever play again, so two freshmen are going to be our only bigs next year.

We need to remember that Chino was playing his first game. Never saw the floor before. I still hold out hope that he will get comfortable being out there and will progress enough that he can give us 4-5 minutes per game.

We need to remember that Chino was playing his first game. Never saw the floor before. I still hold out hope that he will get comfortable being out there and will progress enough that he can give us 4-5 minutes per game.
Yeah agree hope is not lost with him. Just contest shots, be that last line to stop the ball and rebound. We've heard he has this in practice. Just has to get over the lights like TR.

After reading some stuff before today's exhibition and after watching today's exhibition, I get the feeling that the C spot will be manned by Roc, CM and then TR (in a pinch)... The only way Chino will see the floor (in non blowout time) will be if the 3 others are in dire foul trouble.
thoughts?

Yes, definitely. I thought just from watching layup lines that Obokoh looks like he needs a lot of work.

We'll see how McCullough does against teams with more size, as Carleton was small. But he looks to be a legit 6'10, with long arms and very athletic and fluid, and he's not weak at all. I think he can handle the backup C minutes. I'm very excited with how he looked.

BJ is the eighth man.

Obokoh isn't playing.

It's a 7.5 rotation.

Yup. I went from trying to figure out who was who in layup lines, to having the 7 man rotation(in a close game) nailed down by halftime. Not many options, and pretty obvious this year! I like talent of all 7 guys(and BJ too) though, but we can't afford any bad breaks in the form of injuries or any of the other BS that seems to pop up every few years.

Question for the group. I did not get a chance to see the whole game and I'd hate to look at the stats and make a movie out of a picture. Was Chino as inefficient as the stats/forum is talking about? I had high hopes for the big man and I know it's only one game in...I was just wondering if there was any more details to the story.

Question for the group. I did not get a chance to see the whole game and I'd hate to look at the stats and make a movie out of a picture. Was Chino as inefficient as the stats/forum is talking about? I had high hopes for the big man and I know it's only one game in...I was just wondering if there was any more details to the story.

He played about 3 minutes if I recall. The defense was out of whack before he came in but it was glaringly obvious that he was lost since he replaced Rakeem who knew what he was doing. Of course Chino didn't get much help from the wing defenders. He did bump around and try for rebounds but didn't get any and didn't look overly aggressive trying. He touched the ball once on offense and it was more like hot potato than offense. (who can I give the ball to quickly to get rid of it) He did however catch it cleanly and pass it off cleanly with no fumbling. In other words he was lost on defense and looks to have no offensive game but it was 3 minutes against a team that ripped our D the whole first half with a great game plan, lots of shooters, good cuts and excellent interior passing.

thoughts?

He's definitely not ready, but let's have some perspective--this was the first time he'd ever seen the floor, playing against the toughest exhibition opponent we've probably ever played as a program, in a game where they were carving us up early. Boeheim coaches to win--not to allocate developmental playing time. If ever there was a game that was a horrendous debut opportunity for young players like Chino, BJ, etc. it was Carleton.

Obokoh, while raw as hell, still has an opportunity to help this team. But he's going to need to get his sea legs a little bit--and the early portion of the schedule will at least help him in that regard in a way that playing against Carleton did not. And even after he gets some developmental PT, he STILL might not be ready this year. But I wouldn't be so quick to write him off based upon yesterday's game, given the context.

I know Chino was expected to be a bit of a project when we recruited him, but was it expected that he would still be a mess after practicing and learning the system for a year? Our options were limited, since no good recruits would accept a role behind two established centers, but what I'm hearing is making me think we were better off just saving the scholarship.

Oh Lord

He's definitely not ready, but let's have some perspective--this was the first time he'd ever seen the floor, playing against the toughest exhibition opponent we've ever played, in a game where they were carving us up early. Boeheim coaches to win--not to allocate developmental playing time. If ever there was a game that was a horrendous debut opportunity for young players like Chino, BJ, etc. it was Carleton.

Obokoh, while raw as hell, still has an opportunity to help this team. But he's going to need to get his sea legs a little bit--and the early portion of the schedule will at least help him in that regard in a way that playing against Carleton did not. And even after he gets some developmental PT, he STILL might not be ready this year. But I wouldn't be so quick to right him off based upon yesterday's game, given the context.

This is exactly where I am at with it. Throw Tyler into that group as well although I am a bit worried about him because we absolutely need him especially if Chris winds up being the backup 5. I was surprised BJ didn't look for his shot more. All three of these guys and Buss will get extended run in the next exhibition against a very inferior opponent.

This is exactly where I am at with it. Throw Tyler into that group as well although I am a bit worried about him because we absolutely need him especially if Chris winds up being the backup 5. I was surprised BJ didn't look for his shot more. All three of these guys and Buss will get extended run in the next exhibition against a very inferior opponent.

I'm a little worried about Tyler, too. Not because I don't think he has ability, but because he just needs to settle down. He looked totally stressed / overwhelmed yesterday, just like in the Georgia Tech game. If ever there was a guy who needed to get a dunk just to get rolling and settle down, it's Roberson.

I'm also worried because he was clearly JB's whipping boy yesterday, and his body language suggested he didn't respond to it well [how's that for some armchair psychology?]. He had some really bad defensive lapses yesterday [he wasn't the only one], but JB spent the entire minute of several timeouts in his face, chewing him out exclusively. Some players can take that and use it as motivation without losing confidence, others cannot. It is too early to tell with Roberson which category he fits into.

Playing in an exhibition against an inferior opponent where the team can have a LOT of success is going to be like releasing steam out of the safety valve for players like Roberson, BJ, and Obokoh. Hope all there get extended run next Monday.

I'm a little worried about Tyler, too. Not because I don't think he has ability, but because he just needs to settle down. He looked totally stressed / overwhelmed yesterday, just like in the Georgia Tech game. If ever there was a guy who needed to get a dunk just to get rolling and settle down, it's Roberson.

I'm also worried because he was clearly JB's whipping boy yesterday, and his body language suggested he didn't respond to it well [how's that for some armchair psychology?]. He had some really bad defensive lapses yesterday [he wasn't the only one], but JB spent the entire minute of several timeouts in his face, chewing him out exclusively. Some players can take that and use it as motivation without losing confidence, others cannot. It is too early to tell with Roberson which category he fits into.

Playing in an exhibition against an inferior opponent where the team can have a LOT of success is going to be like releasing steam out of the safety valve for players like Roberson, BJ, and Obokoh. Hope all there get extended run next Monday.

I can only think that Roberson really shows it in practice because he was JB's early first forward sub last season until he showed he wasn't as ready as Mike and he is starting this season. The defense had me bewildered as he has been here a year and looked every bit as lost as Chris in the first 8min. Mike and BJ where our best position defenders on the wings last night, just think about that. Offensively as I said in Generals Thoughts thread it looks like Tyler is trying to figure out which chess move is better to make when he gets the ball. The one time he didn't think he made a tough jumper. The bottom line is that JB is in his face because JB thinks he has it in him to be much better and I can bet you that he was telling him stuff he already knows and practices about defending the wing and Carlton specifically. I do understand your point about some kids not responding to that stuff well and I get that but Tyler isn't responding to games situations well and that is the bigger concern to me.