At the end of the day, this team as a whole has regressed | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

At the end of the day, this team as a whole has regressed

Year 3 and still playing all of grobs recruits on offense other than o line is just an excuse, it's the scheme

I agree with you that the scheme currently leave a LOT to be desired. However have you considered that our HOF basketball coach plays his iconic zone defense different every year (trapping/aggressive/turnover vs passive/lull into 3 pointers/rebound) based on his current personel.

Maybe it would be fair to give Marrone the chance to change his scheme as his talent changes. Maybe he is an old school meathead and he wont and your right. But that has not been his rhetoric. I say give him the BOD while hoping he gets rid of hacket as fast as he did casullo.

some of the people who write on this site constantly apparently think we should be challenging for a National Championship in Year 3.
I dont think even a single poster expects anything close to this.I just dont think anyone expected us to be eeking out Ws over the RI and Tulanes of the world either.No one is asking for 500 and 50 pg.Average would do just fine at this point and I dont think that's a lot to ask for.Some sign of improvement from game 1 to now would be nice too.

I'm not so sure the problem is coaching or play calling - more to do with lack of talent and leadership in the upperclassmen ranks and simple youth - we are playing lots of freshman for Petes sake. We talk slot about the Oline but who is available to replace our current lineup that is any better?

Two steps forward, one step back. Maybe this is 1986 all over again.

One of those teams that stinks is RU and we couldn't beat them at home. UConn is an absolutely awful but that will be on the road and be their SupeBowl.
How does this team play on the road? Doesn't really seem to be a factor.

How does this team play on the road? Doesn't really seem to be a factor.

Do we know? Can't point to last year, it is a different team. Last year we played well on D and rode DC3. That is a good formula for success on the road that we cannot reproduce this year. BTW Tulane was a road game and we didn't look very good.

I wonder how we'd look if Collier hadn't been a moron and he was here this year?

I understand... if someone really thinks that, then they need their head examined. I was exaggerating to make a point. There are some people on here that are losing all perspective about where we just were, and how far we've come. Obviously there is still room for improvement and I think we will continue to see it in the coming years.

As for this year, we beat good Wake Forest and Toledo teams along with close ones against RI and Tulane. It appears that Rutgers is better than expected, and anyone who watched our game against them can realize that they were very fortunate to leave with a win. It seems pretty clear that our team has the nasty habit of playing to the level of the competition.

I think the team's talent is improving, the players are very inconsistent in performance, and I think the coaches are trying way to hard to tailor each game plan for each opponent instead of focusing on what SYRACUSE does well and imposing our style on opponents. It seems like Marrone tries to change the scheme each week to fit the opponent. I think this is admirable, but very difficult to pull off. We need to focus on what SYRACUSE does (or can do) well and shove it down the other teams throat. This is the thing that is "bothering" me the most about the game week and game day coaching. I think the coaches are overthinking the opponents and worrying too much about tailoring the attack to the opponent. They need to impose their will on the opponent... everyone mentions Oregon's offense as a model of perfection. Do you think they change their gameplan week to week? No. They do whatever they want and it's their opponent's job to stop them (which very few can).

Honestly, regardless of the GROB years, SU fans should be happy with 8-5 (bowl game win) and 4-2 (good chance to get to 7 wins and a decent bowl). It might turn out that we aren't competitive with a couple of teams on the schedule (USC, West Va) but the team is keeping it interesting in the other games, and finding a way to win.

Still, some of the excuses you read in this thread don't wash. Our offense isn't that young -- more veterans than most opponents. In 3 recruiting classes, you would expect some contributors on offense, but apart from Gulley it hasn't happened.
The defense is young at LB (other units are about average) -- but it has been the defense that has been a pleasant surprise last year and again this year (apart from Tulane).
So, you can credit Marrone with hiring Shafer and for adding some young talent on the defensive side.
Ultimately, I am happy getting to 4-2 (plus knowing we held Rutgers to 13 pts in 4 quarters, and should have won with a better kicking game).
The disappointments: who is "coaching up" the OL? who is recruiting skills guys for the offense?

And Sales... wouldn't it be nice to add Sales and Collier to the offense?

And Speller, White, Middleton and Kay.

I think we're in a one step back, two steps forward type of situation...at least that is what HCDM is selling.

But cripes, we're 4-2 (almost 5-1) and the b!tch level here is a bit high. We're well on our way to another bowl.
I'll take it a step farther this team is 12-7 in its last 19. That's a 63% winning %. SU all time winning %
is 58%. Coach Ben and P's career win % was around 63%. Both had swoons during the latter parts of their careers so they could have been around 70-80% and better at their peaks. But looking objectively this IS one of the best stretches of winning in the program's history, certainly above normal. It is OK to be concerned because we are not playing 60 mins of quality football anywhere, but some people on this board are taking these games like loses. You gotta have some enjoyment of the wins or you’re going to do this
.:crazy: :crazy::crazy:

One of those teams that stinks is RU and we couldn't beat them at home. UConn is an absolutely awful but that will be on the road and be their SupeBowl.

Noone expected the WVU or South Florida performances out of last year's team...there are bound to be surprises, both positive and negative.

i dont want to go to a bowl at 6-6...thats brutal...and where are the other 2 wins...maybe uconn and the ville...thats it...

In addition to UConn and Louisville, throw USF, Cincy, Pitt into the hat. None of those teams are very good. I know we may not be either, but could come down to who makes the least mistakes.

In addition to UConn and Louisville, throw USF, Cincy, Pitt into the hat. None of those teams are very good. I know we may not be either, but could come down to who makes the least mistakes.

Does 6-6 even guarantee a bowl?

Does 6-6 even guarantee a bowl?

Yes. At least it does to a BCS conference team like SU. Last year every bowl-eligible team got a bowl invite except Temple. If SU has 6 wins, a bowl game is a certainty.

I think we're in a one step back, two steps forward type of situation...at least that is what HCDM is selling.

But cripes, we're 4-2 (almost 5-1) and the b!tch level here is a bit high. We're well on our way to another bowl.

Well on our way to another bowl? Are you high? The way this team plays - WV, USF, Pitt, Cincy are losses. And I'd bet we split Uconn/Lville. Putting us at 5-7, or 6-6 at best even if we win 2 of them.

It's a good thing there was roughing the passer on our game-winning drive v. Tulane (even though replay shows it to be no roughing), because it would've been time to punt to Tulane for them to go down and win, or go to another OT. This team is a few plays, questionable calls, and lucky circumstances away from being 1-5.

this team has been outgained in 75% of FBS games in 2010 and 2011. (4-12)

i know they count points not yards on the scoreboard, but to be 9 and 7 in games when you've been outgained 12 times...

given that, it's remarkable their record is so good

Well on our way to another bowl? Are you high? The way this team plays - WV, USF, Pitt, Cincy are losses. And I'd bet we split Uconn/Lville. Putting us at 5-7, or 6-6 at best even if we win 2 of them.

It's a good thing there was roughing the passer on our game-winning drive v. Tulane (even though replay shows it to be no roughing), because it would've been time to punt to Tulane for them to go down and win, or go to another OT. This team is a few plays, questionable calls, and lucky circumstances away from being 1-5.

The call was a hit to the head. I hate the rule but Nassib was hit in the head.

Yes. At least it does to a BCS conference team like SU. Last year every bowl-eligible team got a bowl invite except Temple. If SU has 6 wins, a bowl game is a certainty.

Are you sure? Because ND will steal one of the bids as the BE #2. If Navy, Army, and BYU are not deemed bowl eligible, then we could potentially fill their spots in guaranteed bowls to those schools.

Then again, we still need to find 2 wins somewhere.

Are you sure? Because ND will steal one of the bids as the BE #2. If Navy, Army, and BYU are not deemed bowl eligible, then we could potentially fill their spots in guaranteed bowls to those schools.

Then again, we still need to find 2 wins somewhere.
SU might not get one of the BE-affiliated bowls, but if SU wins two more games, it will go bowling.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.603791,-73.942323

You would think so considering how I engaged in these threads. End of the day a smart football guy says that you are what your record says you are. That list of schools you mentioned isn't exactly the SEC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom