At this point...we have to admit its worse this time... | Syracusefan.com

At this point...we have to admit its worse this time...

Jake

Mod
What we went through in 2003 pales in comparison to what UCONN, Rutgers, Cincy, UL and USF are going through right now. The makeshift conference concepts that are being talked about right now are 10x uglier than what we had in 2005. Im starting to feel sympathy...

Much worse than what SU went through. UCONN and Rutgers have at least been linked to the ACC so they have some hope, not much but some. L'ville, USF, and Cincy right now seem like lost causes and their futures seem to be very dim. I think all 5 schools will be screwed when the music stops and all be left without a home (or stuck in the worst home possible). If ND joins a conference one of these schools will be saved, but depending/waiting/hoping on ND...don't hold your breath.

Not me - the Big East has to come to grips that having bball onlies just doesn't work long term. The only long term successful model is modeled like every other stable conference - all sports in with equal revenue sharing. BE & B12 model just doesn't work.

I fell a bit sorry for all of them...except the girls. F 'em.

I feel bad especially for UL, UC, and South Florida.

AGree it's worse for them.
I still expect UL to come out okay.
I couldn't care less about Rutgers. Let them become UMass for all I care.
UConn, I'm somewhat sympathetic with, except for the fact that they had a LONG time to make the jump to D1, and never saw it in their best interests. It wasn't until the BE gave them a final opportunity that they jumped it. Too little too late, I say.
Cincy may be screwed. Ditto USF. That's a shame. But we never had any rivalries with them anyway. So it is what it is.

Of the five left behinds, 3 were elevated to BCS status after the last raid. 1 other has had a BCS program for less than a decade. 1 has only really been trying to at BCS football for less than a decade.

See something in common here? Coincidence that they're the left behinds? Don't think so. While I honestly sympathize, as many have said on this board: Brand matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What we went through in 2003 pales in comparison to what UCONN, Rutgers, Cincy, UL and USF are going through right now. The makeshift conference concepts that are being talked about right now are 10x uglier than what we had in 2005. Im starting to feel sympathy...

It's much worse now.

I have some sympathy for Cincy because they are flat out f-ed.

I'd have sympathy with USF for the same reason, except 1)their football coach is Skip Holtz, so screw 'em, and 2)they don't support their basketball team at all and so don't deserve to be in a major hoops conference

UL...normally I'd have some sympathy for them but Providence Pitino and his big mouth have gotten on my nerves lately

UConn...I can't help but feel that they'll eventually land in the ACC. I'm not sure how I feel about that but at this point I'm not going to get too sorry for them. Maybe later if they do end up in the eastern version of CUSA. But not just yet. I've never really warmed up to them anyway so their fate doesn't bother me too much one way or the other. Although we can make fun of Rutgers all we want, in some quarters on this board it seems like it's not politically correct to do the same to UConn. Thus, I am probably happy to see the huskies squirming at the moment.

Rutgers...hahahahahahahaha

i dont feel sorry for the big east as they are responsible for their own mess. The writing was on the wall years ago but they dragged their asses. The wake up call was 2003. Last year was the reminder, Big East kept hitting snooze. I mean the Big east tied its survival to Nova improving their football. Seriously?! Why because the bball schools didnt want to lose power. F-them

AGree it's worse for them.
I still expect UL to come out okay.
I couldn't care less about Rutgers. Let them become UMass for all I care.
UConn, I'm somewhat sympathetic with, except for the fact that they had a LONG time to make the jump to D1, and never saw it in their best interests. It wasn't until the BE gave them a final opportunity that they jumped it. Too little too late, I say.
Cincy may be screwed. Ditto USF. That's a shame. But we never had any rivalries with them anyway. So it is what it is.
Well said. Ive been saying this, I hope Rutgers gets left out to dry

I still think that the Big East can be a solid conference.

Boise State, Louisville, Cincinnati, SMU, Houston, Central Flordida, So. Florida, UConn, Rutgers is not a bad conference.

Boise State, Louisville, Cincinnati, SMU, Houston, So. Florida, UConn, Rutgers is not a bad conference.

If you're not in it it's fine, otherwise is pretty much sucks.

CIL--curious to hear your thoughts / expectations for today's game?

This is going to be a tough, physical game. Anyone that expects us to walk all over L'Ville is smoking crack. Period. The staff is concerned that we end up in RU/Cuse the sequel. We will have to play well to win. The WVU win was great, but I don't think it's a program changer as many here believe. It's a step forward, but we certainly do not have the talent to just roll a ball onthe field and expect to win, ala the days with McNabb et al.

This team has to bring it's A game every week to win out. We can beat anyone left on our schedule, but lose to anyone as well.

If you're not in it it's fine, otherwise is pretty much sucks.

I hear ya, but conferences and rivalries and great games are developed over time.

With Houston, Tampa, and Dallas, the BE will develope new, large markets.

And with Boise State, fans of Cincy and Rutgers can look forward to seeing a great program.

It will take time, but the conference can succeed if the teams they are approaching join up.

"This team has to bring it's A game every week to win out. We can beat anyone left on our schedule, but lose to anyone as well."

The key is that we CAN beat anyone left on the schedule and it's up to the team & coaches to win games. We may not match up well with some of the remaining teams, but we have the talent & coaches to win them all if they plan & execute well. We were outmatched by USC but don't see mismatches anywhere remaining on the schedule. For that alone I'm excited about today.

Boise State, Louisville, Cincinnati, SMU, Houston, Central Flordida, So. Florida, UConn, Rutgers is not a bad conference.
Its Conf-USA 2.0.

That is a terrible conference for football and it drags the b'ball end way way down as well.

imo, only usf has to worry in the long run. but i agree, it has to be stressful as hell and thus why a team like rutgers just makes stuff up.

i dont feel sorry for the big east as they are responsible for their own mess. The writing was on the wall years ago but they dragged their asses. The wake up call was 2003. Last year was the reminder, Big East kept hitting snooze. I mean the Big east tied its survival to Nova improving their football. Seriously?! Why because the bball schools didnt want to lose power. F-them

Yes, good think Pitt and Syracuse did so much to voice these concerns and try to solidify the conference the past few ye-

What? They didn't? Oh.

Yes, good think Pitt and Syracuse did so much to voice these concerns and try to solidify the conference the past few ye-

What? They didn't? Oh.

Are you kidding me? Who tried to get Penn State into the conference? Who stuck with the BE when it had an offer to join an all-sports league in both the 80s and 90s? Who voted WITH the hoops schools many, many, many times? Who voted this May to take the billion dollar media deal? Yeah, that was Syracuse.

Now who only decided to upgrade to 1-A football when Bob Kraft was taking the Pats to Hartford? Who got the greatest gift in the history of BCS-level football by being allowed into an AQ conference practically straight outta 1-AA? Yeah, that'd be UConn.

...BE hasnt learned anything yet as it is still a divided conference...bball schools that are darn good; football only schools and schools with all sports...can that work...now they are trying to add a third segment...football only.T
This speaks to poor leadership and a conference that will not last once it brings everyone in again...too much in fighting and no pulling in the same direction.

I expect Louisville (Big 12), Rutgirls (B1G), Uconn (ACC) with ND to be ACC; and Cincy possible to Big 12...after that...it isnt happening for anyone.

What? They didn't? Oh.

Funny stuff. Follow the BE? Syracuse WAS the BE.

Are you kidding me? Who tried to get Penn State into the conference? Who stuck with the BE when it had an offer to join an all-sports league in both the 80s and 90s? Who voted WITH the hoops schools many, many, many times? Who voted this May to take the billion dollar media deal? Yeah, that was Syracuse.

Now who only decided to upgrade to 1-A football when Bob Kraft was taking the Pats to Hartford? Who got the greatest gift in the history of BCS-level football by being allowed into an AQ conference practically straight outta 1-AA? Yeah, that'd be UConn.
^^^This^^^

Gotta know what you're talking about, zls

^^^This^^^

Gotta know what you're talking about, zls

Give me one time since 2003, when SU was stuck in the conference, that they did ONE THING to try and make it better. One thing. Did they reach out to Maryland to try and get them to join? Did they actively try and split the conference in half? Did they offer a grant of media rights deal? Did they do any of these things? No, they didn't.

I'm not talking about 1987. I'm talking about 2003-2011. They didn't do a damn thing to try and keep it together during that time period. Trying to get Penn State in 1982 doesn't mean a blessed thing if in the here and now, they didn't do anything as equally brilliant to try and save what was actually here.