At what point does Ennis get serious Wooden Award consideration | Syracusefan.com

At what point does Ennis get serious Wooden Award consideration

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
I mean, that's got to be a possibility at this point, right?

Not with the media up McDermotts a$$. I'm going to assume the award will always be given to players with outstanding stats and true PG play will generally be ignored. (and for the record i think McDermott is a very good player... that wouldn't fare well against us)

Sidenote: Was T.J Ford really really good? i really don't remember. how did he win it over Carmelo?

*i could be really really wrong about everything i post, ever*

when ford won, it was a different time. they did not give awards out to frosh over juniors and seniors. that seems to have changed..

He definitely should be in the top 5. Unfortunately the award usually seems to go to whoever has the best scoring stats.

Voters will want to look good and make it seem if they truly know their stuff as many had McDermott as their pre-season Wooden winner.

It depends on how these guys do as the season progresses/how the teams do as the season progresses, but the guys that I have my eye on for this are:

McDermott (who I think will be a near unanimous choice if Creighton continues winning and he continues playing the way he has)
DeAndre Kane
Jabari
Kyle Anderson
Ennis
and Shabazz

Like I said, I think McDermott will be the runaway winner if both he and Creighton continue to play well. If they falter, it opens the door for the other guys here IMO.

He and CJ have been alternating weeks in Eamon Brennan's Wooden Watch Top 8 for the last few editions

Not with the media up McDermotts a$$. I'm going to assume the award will always be given to players with outstanding stats and true PG play will generally be ignored. (and for the record i think McDermott is a very good player... that wouldn't fare well against us)

Sidenote: Was T.J Ford really really good? i really don't remember. how did he win it over Carmelo?

I'm sorry dude, I love Ennis, but that's a load of . It's not discounting Ennis' play, McDermott is that good of a college basketball player. He's Adam Morrison without being a douche.

5VYzfbw.png

If it weren't for him and Parker, it would be a lot more wide open, but it's not. I expect Ennis to break into the Top 10 in the next update, but the year McDermott is having is dirty, absolutely dirty.

If it weren't for him and Parker, it would be a lot more wide open, but it's not. I expect Ennis to break into the Top 10 in the next update, but the year McDermott is having is dirty, absolutely dirty.

I wouldn't really know about McDermott. He always looked kind of slow to me which is mostly why i think he would struggle against us. Unless he drained threes all game.. which he could do. :noidea:

It probably wasn't evident in my first post but i'm fine with McDermott winning it. but at this point it's like nobody else is being considered.

when ford won, it was a different time. they did not give awards out to frosh over juniors and seniors. that seems to have changed..

Ford was a Sophomore when he won it, but that doesn't take away the argument that they didn't award it to Freshmen. That was the leading argument against Melo.

I wouldn't really know about McDermott. He always looked kind of slow to me which is mostly why i think he would struggle against us. Unless he drained threes all game.. which he could do. :noidea:

It probably wasn't evident in my first post but i'm fine with McDermott winning it. but at this point it's like nobody else is being considered.

McDermott had a game winner himself just a couple weeks ago ;). If you watch him play, you can tell his level is just that much higher than anyone else on the court.

Love the caveat at the end.

The answer to this question is next year when he comes back to lead us to back to back National Championships.

Mcdermott won the award when he came back for his senior year. Not right but its reality

First team all american would be what i want to see

I can see the combination of playing really with the chance to kind of give a lifetime achievement award being justifiable for McDermott but Ennis is THE story in college hoops this year.

Marsh is right though, first team AA or bust.

I don't get the Ennis MVP talk and I'm generally as big of an orange homer as anyone else. He is a great player for a freshman but for like the last 4 or 5 games in a row now he has had no impact on the game for huge stretches. Yes he come up big im some key moments but when I think player of the year I don't think of a player whom I forget is on the court for over half the game. When we had Melo there was no way you could forget he was on the court at any point. This year CJ and even Grant have more consistent impact on games that Ennis... they generally do something good every few minutes in the game.

Ennis is an amazing freshman point guard who is not that consistent but comes up huge at the end of games. This makes him a very valuable player with huge potential but in my book not player of the year material. He needs to figure out how to have more impact on the game throughout so that we don't need buzzer beater heroics to win the game, he needs to work on the J which is too much of a set shot in my opinion and he needs to figure out how to speed up the tempo and take advantage of open court opportunities to get us easy buckets.

Just my two cents...

I don't get the Ennis MVP talk and I'm generally as big of an orange homer as anyone else. He is a great player for a freshman but for like the last 4 or 5 games in a row now he has had no impact on the game for huge stretches. Yes he come up big im some key moments but when I think player of the year I don't think of a player whom I forget is on the court for over half the game. When we had Melo there was no way you could forget he was on the court at any point. This year CJ and even Grant have more consistent impact on games that Ennis... they generally do something good every few minutes in the game.

Ennis is an amazing freshman point guard who is not that consistent but comes up huge at the end of games. This makes him a very valuable player with huge potential but in my book not player of the year material. He needs to figure out how to have more impact on the game throughout so that we don't need buzzer beater heroics to win the game, he needs to work on the J which is too much of a set shot in my opinion and he needs to figure out how to speed up the tempo and take advantage of open court opportunities to get us easy buckets.

Just my two cents...
Dude...take another hit and then pass it you've had enough. :)

OrangeFoo said:
Did you not hear his own head coach say it was his worst game of the season?

everyone has a personal worst game, so by that logic, nobody is worthy of being honored