At what point does Ennis get serious Wooden Award consideration | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

At what point does Ennis get serious Wooden Award consideration

I don't get the Ennis MVP talk and I'm generally as big of an orange homer as anyone else. He is a great player for a freshman but for like the last 4 or 5 games in a row now he has had no impact on the game for huge stretches. Yes he come up big im some key moments but when I think player of the year I don't think of a player whom I forget is on the court for over half the game. When we had Melo there was no way you could forget he was on the court at any point. This year CJ and even Grant have more consistent impact on games that Ennis... they generally do something good every few minutes in the game.

Ennis is an amazing freshman point guard who is not that consistent but comes up huge at the end of games. This makes him a very valuable player with huge potential but in my book not player of the year material. He needs to figure out how to have more impact on the game throughout so that we don't need buzzer beater heroics to win the game, he needs to work on the J which is too much of a set shot in my opinion and he needs to figure out how to speed up the tempo and take advantage of open court opportunities to get us easy buckets.

Just my two cents...

I think this sells him a little short (in particular, he's pretty damn consistent). But I agree that he is not the POY in college basketball this year. For a lot of good reasons, he is getting most of the credit for the team's performance and that excellent performance is magnified a lot because of the undefeated record. But this is a loaded team he is at the controls of. I think with Christmas's emergence, he has one of the top-3 players in the conference at every position. He has an All-American at the 3, a guy who would be an All-American at the 4 if he stuck around next year (though he won't), a quickly-improving Burger Boy at the 5, and then a guy capable of going for 30+ at the 2. There are maybe 3 or 4 guys in college basketball who could have done what Fair did in the last minute of the game last night; if he hadn't, no one would be talking about Ennis tonight. Without Cooney's nearly-single-handed performance in the ND game, the team isn't undefeated and the hype is dialed back at least a bit.

Did you not hear his own head coach say it was his worst game of the season?
Yep. And in that game the freshman PG played 35 minutes and committed 2 turnovers against one of the best defensive teams in the country. That he added 5 assists and 13 points (including 5 points in the last 10 seconds) is more of a statement of how good he has been the rest of the year instead of how poor he was last night. I don't want him scoring 20 points a game or taking 20 shots per game. Wooden POY is a little far fetched but the most important stat by far is that he is playing 35 minutes per game as the primary ballhandler and in 24 games he has 35 turnovers. That stat is ridiculous. Its more impressive than any stat any other player in the country has in any category.

McDermott is far and away the most well rounded player. Ennis is great for what he does, especially how he fits our team and the value it brings.

McDermott stats:

MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA3P%FTM-FTAFT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS
32.38. 7-17.4 .499 2.4-5.7.4275.5-6.1.8947.11.60.10 .31. 81.9 25.3

Last edited: