Class of 2016 - ATH/WR KJ Gray (NJ) Rutgers to Garden City CC to... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 ATH/WR KJ Gray (NJ) Rutgers to Garden City CC to...

Depending on how things shake out I wouldn't be surprised if we take one more true WR late in the cycle. But for right now they think they have the pieces in place as far as traditional WRs go.

Maybe they feel really good about any variation of Irvin/Neal/Bryant

Some strange happenings.

Every other school seems to be taking the best available player while we seem to have some kind of pre-set position defined plan.

Hard to believe we're all set with traditional wide receivers. We don't even have enough good ones now.

I seriously doubt we'd turn down a traditional 4-star receiver.

Seriously doubt we're hearing the whole story.

Some strange happenings.

Every other school seems to be taking the best available player while we seem to have some kind of pre-set position defined plan.

Hard to believe we're all set with traditional wide receivers. We don't even have enough good ones now.

We wouldn't turn down a 4-star like Brad Hawkins or Donald Stewart, but we also know we aren't getting them. So the position is on the back burner because the coaches think they have the pieces they need for the position for right now, without those 4-star guys.

Some strange happenings.

Bizarre to say the least. Staff has made some odd decisions on the recruiting trail this summer.

jekelish said:
We wouldn't turn down a 4-star like Brad Hawkins or Donald Stewart, but we also know we aren't getting them. So the position is on the back burner because the coaches think they have the pieces they need for the position for right now, without those 4-star guys.

I'm going to take their word for it, but if you're going to be a downfield passing offense you need receivers who can get beyond the secondary, and right now I don't see many of them on the roster or on the way.

I'm going to take their word for it, but if you're going to be a downfield passing offense you need receivers who can get beyond the secondary, and right now I don't see many of them on the roster or on the way.
Or you can scheme them open.

javadoc said:
Or you can scheme them open.

I get that, but we've been trying to "scheme open" for many years.

It's not really working.

At some point you need speed receivers who can run past a defender and catch the ball.

I get that, but we've been trying to "scheme open" for many years.

It's not really working.

At some point you need speed receivers who can run past a defender and catch the ball.

Bingo, at some point you either have the players or you don't. I think we have seen enough scheming the past 10 years.

JeremyCuse said:
Bizarre to say the least. Staff has made some odd decisions on the recruiting trail this summer.

Like what?

When a defense can negate a wide out with a corner it gives the defense a significant advantage- we have seen this kind of advantage working against the SU offense for a long time now.

Bingo, at some point you either have the players or you don't. I think we have seen enough scheming the past 10 years.

cuseguy said:
I get that, but we've been trying to "scheme open" for many years. It's not really working. At some point you need speed receivers who can run past a defender and catch the ball.

We've not seen a down of Lester's offense at Syracuse.

Also speed OR size works. Custis and Enoicy are capable of making plays over DB's. Ish has already show that he can make a play on the ball while covered.

JeremyCuse said:
You can't be serious? I know your a big Shafer guy but come on.

No really. I like all our guys this cycle. Would love to see a 4-star WR to go with Sadiq. But give me Moe Neal, the kid from GA and Irvin JR all day.

You said that plural "decisions"... Like what?

No really. I like all our guys this cycle. Would love to see a 4-star WR to go with Sadiq. But give me Moe Neal, the kid from GA and Irvin JR all day.

You said that plural "decisions"... Like what?

I don't think anyone would have a problem with those three guys especially the last 3 but the staff has still made some odd decisions.

The whole Manning situation

Saying we're going to take it slow this summer after last year and target some higher end guys and then take 6 commits in June half of whom have no other major offers.

Get involved in multiple kids where we are one of the finalists only to back off at the last second saying we're not recruiting that position any longer or want someone who plays a different style.

Back off a 3 star we with offers from our peer programs claiming were done taking traditional wrs when our one commit was a 2 star with zero other offers.

I have no issue taking under the radar kids that the staff loves early in the recruiting year but u got the impression we were going to be holding out for some higher end guys this cycle that doesn't appear to be the case.

Back off a 3 star we with offers from our peer programs claiming were done taking traditional wrs when our one commit was a 2 star with zero other offers.

In fairness to Sadiq, he's now a 3-star player on both ESPN and Skowt. I think it's safe to say he would have wound up with more offers if he'd kept his options open longer. But I do get your point.

JeremyCuse said:
I don't think anyone would have a problem with those three guys especially the last 3 but the staff has still made some odd decisions. The whole Manning situation Saying we're going to take it slow this summer after last year and target some higher end guys and then take 6 commits in June half of whom have no other major offers. Get involved in multiple kids where we are one of the finalists only to back off at the last second saying we're not recruiting that position any longer or want someone who plays a different style. Back off a 3 star we with offers from our peer programs claiming were done taking traditional wrs when our one commit was a 2 star with zero other offers. I have no issue taking under the radar kids that the staff loves early in the recruiting year but u got the impression we were going to be holding out for some higher end guys this cycle that doesn't appear to be the case.

Some of that is fair, I guess. And falls into the "unless we are in the recruiting meeting with the staff we can't get the answers".

But I'll play along.

1. There is no doubt that we missed on some kids we really liked. This is true every year for most teams. The staff and this board would have loved to see all of them pan out. Just not how it works. Especially coming off of a 3-9 disaster.

2. The Manning thing isn't troubling at all. He was a kid they felt didn't fit. Their may be more to the story too (I have no info - but character, academic risks, etc). I'm not worried when we are the ones doing the passing.

3. We got some kids we'd been recruiting for a long time early in the cycle, RW being the big fish.

4. This multiple kids who we strung along only to change our minds is news to me and I follow it all pretty closely.

5. The WR story today is odd. I wonder if we're more confident with Irvin than we've let in on or if their is another kid in the wings somewhere.

Some of that is fair, I guess. And falls into the "unless we are in the recruiting meeting with the staff we can't get the answers".

But I'll play along.

1. There is no doubt that we missed on some kids we really liked. This is true every year for most teams. The staff and this board would have loved to see all of them pan out. Just not how it works. Especially coming off of a 3-9 disaster.

2. The Manning thing isn't troubling at all. He was a kid they felt didn't fit. Their may be more to the story too (I have no info - but character, academic risks, etc). I'm not worried when we are the ones doing the passing.

3. We got some kids we'd been recruiting for a long time early in the cycle, RW being the big fish.

4. This multiple kids who we strung along only to change our minds is news to me and I follow it all pretty closely.

5. The WR story today is odd. I wonder if we're more confident with Irvin than we've let in on or if their is another kid in the wings somewhere.
All good points. Bottom line we dont know what the staff recruiting meetings are like. Its a bunch of different things that happens during the process that might make the staff accelerate or deccelerate on a prospect. They may love a kid one day and the next meeting they may not.

I think that the kid from GA was ahead on the board and i dont believe that Gray is as good as him or that special a player watching tape. Solid sure but he doesnt have very good speed and i doubt that he ever becomes much more than a solid number 2 or 3 receiver. If we didnt have a ton of depth and youth at the position we would have taken him. We need DT's and CB before we need a second tier WR

I don't think anyone would have a problem with those three guys especially the last 3 but the staff has still made some odd decisions.

The whole Manning situation

Saying we're going to take it slow this summer after last year and target some higher end guys and then take 6 commits in June half of whom have no other major offers.

Get involved in multiple kids where we are one of the finalists only to back off at the last second saying we're not recruiting that position any longer or want someone who plays a different style.

I have no issue taking under the radar kids that the staff loves early in the recruiting year but u got the impression we were going to be holding out for some higher end guys this cycle that doesn't appear to be the case.

Who's to say we didn't back off some of those kids to take a higher profile guy? We wouldn't know yet that though would we.

As far as I can tell we backed off manning for riggins. Undersized Simon for tbd and gray except he said it's been 2 months since we talked to him. I'd say that's tbd as well.

Some strange happenings.

Every other school? Like who uconn?

But I'll play along.

I'd wager we're involved with a good number of prospects (wr's) that nobody has any idea about. People keep referencing Irvin but there's probably 10 other kids.

Last edited: