Athletic Article | Syracusefan.com

Athletic Article

djorange1989

Living Legend
I can’t post it since it’s a subscription site but The Athletic has an ACC article interviewing current players. They were asked to pick favorite
offensive and defensive players, stadiums, coaches, hotels on the road, locker rooms on the road, but couldn’t pick anything or anyone from their own team. The JMA was mentioned several times because of how loud and electric it is, and the visiting locker room at JMA got a lot of love. Jawhar Jordan still loves SU, he picked Dino as his favorite coach and OG as best offensive player, he mentioned his love for SU. DeLoach from FSU picked Shrader, because of how big/fast/smart he is. Syracuse hotels got slammed and Jordan Williams of Ga Tech slammed the city a bit too

I can’t post it since it’s a subscription site but The Athletic has an ACC article interviewing current players. They were asked to pick favorite
offensive and defensive players, stadiums, coaches, hotels on the road, locker rooms on the road, but couldn’t pick anything or anyone from their own team. The JMA was mentioned several times because of how loud and electric it is, and the visiting locker room at JMA got a lot of love. Jawhar Jordan still loves SU, he picked Dino as his favorite coach and OG as best offensive player, he mentioned his love for SU. DeLoach from FSU picked Shrader, because of how big/fast/smart he is. Syracuse hotels got slammed and Jordan Williams of Ga Tech slammed the city a bit too
Ga Tech came during the COVID season so I'm sure it was brutal.

Jawhar wanted to be the starting RB, but it wasn't going to happen at SU so he left. I wish he would have stayed but it seems like it was the right move for him. Wish him luck.
He may have ended up starting at the same time as he ended up starting at UL (this year). We'll never know. He's expected to have a very good year this year.

I'd love to know what hotel the visiting teams stay at. The Hotel Syracuse would be the obvious choice, but maybe that's too central. I know SU stays at the Boars Head when playing UVA. Someone in the article said they hated the place they stayed at UVA and that it was in the middle of nowhere. I wonder if that's the Boars Head. It is in the middle of nowhere, but it's also one of the most exclusive hotels in Virginia.

I'd love to know what hotel the visiting teams stay at. The Hotel Syracuse would be the obvious choice, but maybe that's too central. I know SU stays at the Boars Head when playing UVA. Someone in the article said they hated the place they stayed at UVA and that it was in the middle of nowhere. I wonder if that's the Boars Head. It is in the middle of nowhere, but it's also one of the most exclusive hotels in Virginia.
I know I stayed at the Embassy Suites on old Colamer Rd one in the late 90s, and the West Virginia basketball team was staying there. Not sure if that's still the case.

I know I stayed at the Embassy Suites on old Colamer Rd one in the late 90s, and the West Virginia basketball team was staying there. Not sure if that's still the case.
Reliable sources tell me the DoubleTree in East Syracuse.

It is exactly in the middle of nowhere. Which I suspect is what the opposing coaching staffs want.

It is exactly in the middle of nowhere. Which I suspect is what the opposing coaching staffs want.
Yup. That's right by the embassy suites. So looks like "middle of nowhere" plan was being used in the 90s too.

A few posts on here support this, FSU, 2022 and LSU, 2015.

FSU Coaches Players and Cheerleaders at the doubletree off exit 35 when I checked in here. Gave a Go Cuse.

LSU has arrived at the DoubleTree...

I'm not sure why being in the middle of nowhere really matters. As far as I know, the players aren't allowed to go out on the town before the game, so why would it matter that there is no nightlife within walking distance?

I'm not sure why being in the middle of nowhere really matters. As far as I know, the players aren't allowed to go out on the town before the game, so why would it matter that there is no nightlife within walking distance?
You're right, but I used to see some opposing players out walking Marshall Street (not drinking, etc.) back in the heyday (early 1990s). I think teams used to stay at the Sheraton.

There's a famous rumor that before the big Clemson upset the Tigers went to Destiny and didn't do a walkthrough or anything. Cuse heard about it and it fired them up.

I once stayed at a hotel in St. Louis where the opposing team stayed. Didn't sleep much since the fire alarm was pulled 3 times that night. Was definitely happy to check out in the morning.

And this May, stayed in same hotel as KC Royals. One of their players tripped over my carry-on (he is tall and wasn't looking down) while i was checking in. Jokingly said he injured self. Told him to keep my name out his mouth when he went on IR. Haha

You’d be shocked

Syracuse needs to do something about its hotel situation which is really weak. Hopefully in time Microns investment will lead to way to a revitalized city.

Syracuse needs to do something about its hotel situation which is really weak. Hopefully in time Microns investment will lead to way to a revitalized city.
Idk if micro attracts the talent that wants to live in the city. Semiconductor Engineers don’t exactly scream “armory square”

But who knows

I once stayed at a hotel in St. Louis where the opposing team stayed. Didn't sleep much since the fire alarm was pulled 3 times that night. Was definitely happy to check out in the morning.

And this May, stayed in same hotel as KC Royals. One of their players tripped over my carry-on (he is tall and wasn't looking down) while i was checking in. Jokingly said he injured self. Told him to keep my name out his mouth when he went on IR. Haha
I stayed at the Sheraton Meadow lands once. The Bengals had just arrived.
Witnessed 2 interesting things.

1- Ocho-cinco was reading a magazine in the gift shop, by himself while everyone else was hanging in the lobby. He was on the cover of the magazine he was reading. Surreal. I stared at him as if he was a zoo animal on display. He looked at me and said hello. All I could say was, "You're Chad Johnson." (His name at the time) His response was epic: "I know." He was actually really cool and offered to sign stuff for me, but I told him I didn't want him ruining any of my Giants stuff.

2- The lobby was full of what appeared to be groupies desperately trying to get the attention of the football players. None of the guys were paying any attention to them whatsoever.
Once the players started leaving the lobby, they began telling all the girls they had been ignoring, what their room numbers were.

Plus, with back roads to where the access to charter flights is, it is real close to the airport.

Idk if micro attracts the talent that wants to live in the city. Semiconductor Engineers don’t exactly scream “armory square”

But who knows
Their partners do

I find it funny this is seen as the vanilla option. I’ve had / witnessed some rowdy nights at this hotel. (Had a semi-formal there in college, worked Amy’s Slumber Party and a few weddings, etc.)