Athlon ranks the ACC coaches | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Athlon ranks the ACC coaches

I think that it is a good ranking but if I have just one play and I have the ball, then I want JB making the call.

Let's look at the data since 2004.

Coach K
2004: NCAA Elite 8, ACC Regular Season Champs
2005: NCAA Sweet 16, ACC Tournament Champs
2006: NCAA Sweet 16, ACC Tournament & Regular Season Champs
2007: Lost in first round of NCAAT.
2008: Lost in second round of NCAAT.
2009: NCAA Sweet 16, ACC Tournament Champs.
2010: NCAA National Champs. ACC Tournament & Regular Season Champs.
2011: NCAA Sweet 16, ACC Tournament Champs.
2012: Lost in first round of NCAAT.
2013: Elite 8.
2014: Lost in first round of NCAAT.

So, in the last eleven seasons, K has one national title, two final fours, three Elite 8 appearances, 3 ACC Regular Season titles, and 5 ACC tournament titles. Pretty impressive.

Now, let's compare to Roy Williams over the same time period.

Roy Williams
2004: Lost in second round of NCAAT.
2005: NCAA National Champs, ACC Regular Season Champs.
2006: Lost in second round of NCAAT.
2007: NCAA Elite 8, ACC Tournament & Regular Season Champs.
2008: NCAA Final Four, ACC Tournament & Regular Season Champs.
2009: NCAA National Champs, ACC Regular Season Champs.
2010: NIT.
2011: NCAA Elite 8, ACC Regular Season Champs.
2012: NCAA Elite 8, ACC Regular Season Champs.
2013: Lost in second round of NCAAT.
2014: Lost in second round of NCAAT.

So, over the same time period, Roy has two national titles, three final fours, six Elite 8 appearances, 6 ACC Regular Season titles, and two NCAA tournament titles. I'd argue that Roy's record since 2004 is better than K's.

K isn't as untouchable as you might think.

That's all well and good, but the original statement I objected to was
So what is it, an all-time ranking or a ranking of performance over the last 2 years? If it is the latter, K is not even top 5.

I don't think anyone would dispute Roy has a really great resume as well. Just looking for the 5 ACC coaches with a better resume the last 2 years than K.

That's all well and good, but the original statement I objected to was

I don't think anyone would dispute Roy has a really great resume as well. Just looking for the 5 ACC coaches with a better resume the last 2 years than K.

Fair enough. I should have stated "last three years" instead of last two. The point remains, Athlon's ranking is confusing. Are they ranking ACC coaches based on their all-time records, or are they ranking them based on their performance since 20XX?

I think the one and done rule really hurt Coach K because it seems like after 2004 when it was installed he struggled. if you look at his past successes it was done with elite guys who stayed for four years who in today's day and age would be gone after 1-2 years.

Fair enough. I should have stated "last three years" instead of last two. The point remains, Athlon's ranking is confusing. Are they ranking ACC coaches based on their all-time records, or are they ranking them based on their performance since 20XX?

I hate to belabor the point, but even last 3 years, 5 coaches in the conference with better resumes? Might be a little tar heel blue shining through there.
I'm not really interested in a Roy v K debate. K has a better overall career; probably in context the best coaching career in college basketball history. Roy has a hell of a resume on his own (I've defended him in a lot of threads here). Since Roy came to UNC, I would agree the two are pretty close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom